Staying In Trinidad For A Year Or Two

Staying Trinidad Year Two - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 29th Nov, 2009 - 5:11pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
12th May, 2009 - 1:14pm / Post ID: #

Hi, does anyone know the options for a UK citizen to stay in Trinidad for a year+?

I know that I am able to come without a visa for up to 90 days, and then I read somewhere that it is possible to get a extension for up to a year. But I am unsure of how to get this extension and what I must prove.

The Trinidad Embassy website just states that a tourist from UK can stay for 90 days. Also does anyone know the options for getting a work permit on this visa?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links:
12th May, 2009 - 2:21pm / Post ID: #

Two Year For Trinidad Staying

It is wise to call the Trinidad & Tobago High Commission in the UK for exact details. This is their latest number: Tel:+442072459351. As far as I know only marriage to a citizen, work permit or student permit can extend your stay. You can update us here after finding out.

Rather off topic, but...
You did not update your original Thread here: Source 8

13th May, 2009 - 12:47pm / Post ID: #

Staying In Trinidad For A Year Or Two Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Thanks for the number JB. I rang up and was told I can stay only three months then I can possible get a extension for up to a year which will be decided for me.

The women did not know fully what is needed to get the extension, but she mentioned proof of funds and a valid reason.

Alternately I would have to find a job there and have the company get me a work permit.

13th May, 2009 - 12:58pm / Post ID: #

Thanks for the follow-up. I do know that you have to go into one of the Immigration Centres here. The officer interviews you one on one, I have seen it happen before, I guess it depends on how you present yourself. There may be a fee for the extension too.

Post Date: 27th Nov, 2009 - 6:02pm / Post ID: #

Name: Jewels

Comments: I'm a Canadian, engaged to a Trini gentleman, and I have been granted an extension of stay for 6 months. I came to Trinidad in August under the assurance that I could stay here as a visitor for 1 year - both the T&T Immigration website ( Source 6 ) and a phone call to the main office in POS confirmed this info.
The website clearly states that if you do NOT hold any permits, and are here as a visitor, you "may be granted an Extension of Stay to a maximum of one (1) year from the date of entry into Trinidad and Tobago, subject to the approval of the Chief Immigration Officer." If you hold a permit, you may be granted over a year.
We plan to wed in June next year, and then I will be applying for residency. Now, after being granted my extension 6 month, I was told by the immigration officer that I have to leave in February, and they have never heard of any visitors staying for a year!
After 3 weeks of getting nowhere on the phone to the immigration department (I swear that nobody answers their phones there!), I went to speak with the supervisor of the immigration officers and asked him how I can stay a full year. His answer was that I couldn't. He contradicted the website info when I showed him the printout, and wasn't even interested in helping me out.
When I asked if there was anyone else I could talk to so I can find out more info, he told me "I don't know!" I asked him if I had to leave Trinidad, how soon can I return? Again, "I don't know!" I asked him if there was anyone I can see to discuss this apparent major error on the website and again, he said "I don't know!" Finally I asked him who the Chief Immigration Officer is, and how I could contact his office directly... You guessed it, his response was "I don't know!"
So, does anyone know who I can turn to for some answers, since even the Immigration Office contradicts itself?

28th Nov, 2009 - 11:30pm / Post ID: #

Jewels, don't give up. You got a taste at how government workers sometimes operate in the island. It seems to me that the officer who met with you was either not interested in helping you out or suspicious about your real intent to stay in the country. Immigration in Trinidad isn't easy.

If I was you, I would print the form they asked along with all the documents they're requesting from you in that web site and I would head to the Immigration office and hand it down to someone in charge. I believe the Chief Immigration Officer is the one that has to approve it. If I'm not mistaken his name is Andy Edwards.

Let me tell you that if you're soft spoken type of person you won't reach no where. You need to be serious and INSIST they provide the information you need if you're going to get ANY help. Sad but true.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 29th Nov, 2009 - 1:09pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Staying Trinidad For Year Two

Thank you for this information! I couldn't believe that the supervisor of the Immigration Officers DID NOT know who the Chief Immigration Officer was! I know he was just acting stupid so I would just go away and stop bothering him. I am so unimpressed with this branch of government.

I have found that at least in the Immigration department's extension of stay office, the employees seem to be only concerned about when their next break is. In fact, the receptionist in the office was more concerned about cleaning her nails with a letter opener rather than calling out the numbers we had to take for service. She sat and picked her nails for 20 minutes before serving anyone. In Canada, she would have been fired on the spot for that!

I am a soft spoken lady, but that is rapidly changing, hehe. I will take my plight all the way to Mr. Andy Edwards if necessary, but honestly, it shouldn't be this hard to get a 1 year extension so I can marry my fiancee and begin the residency process.

I'll keep you up to date on my progress, and again, thank you for giving me that advice and the name of the Chief Immigration Officer, his name is nowhere on the immigration department website.

29th Nov, 2009 - 5:11pm / Post ID: #

Staying Trinidad For Year Two Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean

Hi Jewels. I'm not trying to discourage you but your experience in immigration is just the tip of the iceberg. From cashiers to post office workers, this is the kind of "treatment" you will get, local or no local.

Is there a way that you can just get married and reside in Canada? Why do you want to move here permanently?If you don't mind the question, what area do you guys plan to live?

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Staying In Trinidad For A Year Or Two

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,