Freedom of Speech

Freedom Speech - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 31st Oct, 2003 - 1:51pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »
How free is your freedom of speech?
Freedom of Speech Related Information to Freedom of Speech
  • Sovereignty - Given, Taken or Earned?
  • Your Rights!
  • Post Date: 31st Aug, 2003 - 5:06pm / Post ID: #

Freedom of Speech
    A Friend

Freedom of Speech

Free Speech

I was watching a bit of a news story last night about America.

It talked about freedom of speech and how people were being punished for using their freedom of speech and their right to peacefully protest about government issues and policies.

There was a man who got shot at by the police because he was in a protest, and people who went to anti-war marches also got arrested.

One women found herself to be on the FBI's no-fly list. When she got it checked out they marked her ticket and now she has to have extr checks before boarding a flight. She does not know why she is on the list but assumes its because she runs an anti-war magazine.

What are everyone's views on this?

Sponsored Links:
    1st Sep, 2003 - 3:14pm / Post ID: #

Speech Freedom

I was watching a bit of a news story last night about America.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I assume that you mean the United States of America, I always try to emphasize that fact because people usually mentioned the USA as 'America' and my country Argentina and the rest of North, central and south America is part of America too. smile.gif

What are everyone's views on this?

I think there is no country in the whole world with such a thing as totally 'freedom of speech'. All countries set limitations in the use of what can be said and what cannot be said :smile.gif. The United States of America is not the exception of that rule.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 1st Sep, 2003 - 5:56pm / Post ID: #

Freedom of Speech
    A Friend

Freedom of Speech History & Civil Business Politics

I think that everyone should be entitled to freedom of speech.  Of course, there are some people out there that carry 'freedom of speech' to the extreme.  But I think if people are unhappy about something, like with government policies, they should be allowed to use freedom of speech as some sort of statement.  Just as long as it is a peaceful statement, where no one gets hurt or a riot insue.

Post Date: 3rd Sep, 2003 - 12:34am / Post ID: #

Freedom of Speech
    A Friend

Speech Freedom

I'd really have to see the "news program" you saw to assess what is was saying.  Mostly the anti-war protestors just tied up traffic and annoyed people.  I do remember reading of one incident of violence breaking out but - but don't remember details.  

As far as I'm concerned some of these protestors should have been charged with treason.  Voicing opposition is one thing - but blocking access to ports to keep our young men and women in battle from receiving food and supplies....that's just wrong.

If you're really interested in free speech let me recommend the book "The Trial of Socrates".  Was Socrates exercising free speech or commiting "treason" by corrupting youth?

31st Oct, 2003 - 12:33pm / Post ID: #

Speech Freedom

I would like to point out that there is much more restriction of freedom of speach aimed at the Right rather than the Left in the US today.  People are being punished for expressing their opinions about homosexuality, abortion, and affirmative action.  An example is a boy who was expelled from school for a drawing showing a US marine shooting a Taliban soldier.  Whether you agree with the boy or not, the fact that he was expelled for a drawing is a rather chilling idea.

My son was "unofficially" expelled from school for a similar thing.  His teacher asked the students to bring in something that symbolized themselves.  She did NOT want "candles".

My son thought about the assignment, what would adequately symbolize himself, and how he would express it.  As far as I am concerned, the only mistake he made was to not discuss it in advance with his teacher.

He came to class, and held up a 3.25" folding knife, unopened.  He explained that when we are born into this life, we are like lumps of iron ore.  What we go through, the choices we make, the experiences we enjoy refine us and form us into types of tools.  Somewhere in his discussion, he apparently referred to himself as a tool in the work of Christ, possibly a "sword for Christ."

He didn't threaten anyone.  Nobody felt any type of hostility.  He received an "A" for the assignment.  He submitted the knife to his teacher.  Three school days later, she turned him in.

What is interesting is that he was severely punished for speach that was in response to his assignment!  And, the teacher and students involved felt that it was an excellent job.

I can tell you, it was a great lesson to our family.

NightHawk

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

31st Oct, 2003 - 12:46pm / Post ID: #

Freedom of Speech

An example is a boy who was expelled from school for a drawing showing a US marine shooting a Taliban soldier.  Whether you agree with the boy or not, the fact that he was expelled for a drawing is a rather chilling idea

That is ridiculous. Is it seems like the US is turning more and more into a dictatorship rather than a place of freedom. I am surprised the US is not taking more notice.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
    31st Oct, 2003 - 1:29pm / Post ID: #

Freedom Speech

Unfortunately, most US citizens don't care.  A lot of us are taking notice, though.

After posting my message above, I came across the following:
    Judge to Christian mom: No 'homophobic' teaching
    In custody case orders child's religious upbringing must not expose her to idea homosexuality wrong
    https://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=35365

This is a very troubling situation regarding speach and religious rights.

What do you think?

NightHawk

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

31st Oct, 2003 - 1:51pm / Post ID: #

Freedom Speech Politics Business Civil & History

An example is a boy who was expelled from school for a drawing showing a US marine shooting a Taliban soldier.  Whether you agree with the boy or not, the fact that he was expelled for a drawing is a rather chilling idea

Are you serious? sure there is nothing more?. It is plain stupid, our kids watch the TV news every single day and they see US soldiers, Iraqies, Afghan people being killed every day...what the teachers excpect? :smile.gif It doesn't make any sense.
    Regards to what you said about your son, I suppose there are strong rules at school about carrying blades and any kind of weapon. What is interesting is that he got an A on his work but the teacher decided turn him to the principal. :smile.gif
    Now, going back to the subject about freedom of speech, there is never a complete freedom in any country, no matter how democratic they're...there are always rules, regulations and limitations (normal and logical ones, not dicatorship ones) which it is normal since we need them somehow to not disrupt the liberty of the other individual.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

> TOPIC: Freedom of Speech

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
    Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
    This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,