Freedom of Speech - Page 2 of 6

QUOTE For example, a Texas judge threatened - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 13th Nov, 2003 - 2:32pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
How free is your freedom of speech?
Freedom of Speech Related Information to Freedom of Speech
  • Sovereignty - Given, Taken or Earned?
  • Your Rights!
  • 31st Oct, 2003 - 1:52pm / Post ID: #

Freedom of Speech - Page 2

First, I think what people mistake as punishing freedom of speech for protesting is actually for other behavior.  Do you have a right to block public streets during rush hour?  If I am a commuter on my way home, what right do you have to stop me from that?  How sympathetic will I be with your cause.  These tactics are used in order to gain publicity and news coverage.  

The child who was expelled for drawing that picture.  I believe there must be more to that story than we know.  If not, and it were my child, I would get a lawyer, because it is wrong.

Now, let us remember that you have a right to free speech, but I have a right to exercise my free will and boycott your products, etc., if I don't agree with your positions.  That too, is a freedom of speech.

I read the article that Nighthawk links.  I don't like what that judge is doing at all.  This sort of thing is happening more and more frequently in this country.  We seldom hear of it because it isn't a topic the liberals in media want to deal with. Since, no one wants to say homosexual activity is wrong, they don't want to address when someone's rights are infringed upon from the other side of this issue.  What I mean is because the mother is being prohibited from teaching her child about something liberals feel is acceptable, and because she is "just" being prevented from teaching her child religion, the media does't want to cover it with a big story, so it gets just a mention.  It is not a popular topic, defending ones right to freedom of religion, if the religion is fundamentalist christianity.  This country was founded on the right in order to allow the of practice the religion of ones choice, but we have managed to really warp what that actually means.

I personally believe any individual who truly believes in a particular faith has a right to teach it to their children.  Now, I don't believe it is then o.k. to teach them because of these beliefs to harm others.  So terrorism is out and so is "gay bashing."  That, however, is not the same as teaching your child that the Bible teaches homosexuality to be wrong.

I believe that a big part of the issue here is this child was being raised by both of these women in a homosexual relationship and then one of the parties to the relationship wanted to change the rules.  So, in this case, it does make it difficult to decide whether the newly christian mother's rights supercede the other woman who has also acted as a parent all these years.

What if a traditional male/female couple split up with the husband announcing he is homosexual.  Would the wife be forbidden to go to a christian based church that might teach this as a sin because the children's father is now an admitted homosexual?  I wouldn't be surprised if it was, but I don't think it should be.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Sponsored Links:
    31st Oct, 2003 - 6:48pm / Post ID: #

Speech Freedom

Here is a link to the article about the schoolboy.
    https://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?...RTICLE_ID=35341

and another:
    https://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index...97104138920.xml

Yes, there are always some restrictions upon freedom of speach.  The problem is that now those restrictions are being changed, away from the traditional, historical freedoms enjoyed in the the US and in Canada.

Right now, in Canada, it is a crime to quote sections of the Bible which address homosexuality.

In Australia, two pastors are being investigated, with charges pending, on charges of "vilifying Islam."  This because they said, essentially, that they believe Christianity is more true than Islam.

Here, in the US, an Army General is being investigated because he proclaimed, in church, that there is a war between Islamic extremists and Christianity.

Again in the US, the IRS enforces tax law such that any conservative Christian church that expresses any type of political opinion can lose its tax exempt status.  Yet Jesse Jackson, one of the most partisan people ever is allowed to maintain his organization's tax exempt status.  Churches that invited Bill Clinton and Gray Davis during the recent California debacle were celebrated.  Yet there were threats against any church inviting conservative candidates.

For more information, read a few of David Limbaugh's recent columns on WorldNetDaily.  He lists many similar stories.

This type of censorship is becoming ever more common.

NightHawk

I should add that I found it very amusing to hear all the entertainers claiming that people were somehow violating the Dixie Chicks freedom of speach by boycotting them and urging radio stations to also boycott them.  Yet the same entertainers didn't see any problem with attempting to force the same radio stations to NOT boycott them.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Post Date: 2nd Nov, 2003 - 11:48pm / Post ID: #

Freedom of Speech
    A Friend

Freedom of Speech History & Civil Business Politics

Nighthawk, I understand how frustrating the incident with your son is but I can imagine the teacher reported him because of what we refer to as "cya".  Most schools have strict "no weapons" rules and if anyone ever found out he brought a knife that she didn't report she could lose her job.

Regarding the boy with the Taliban drawing...I think I read the boy had other issues that the school couldn't divulge in order to protect the boys privacy.  Although that's not a certainty.

One thing I can say about Bill O'Reilly - he is always on the IRS' refusal to investigate Jesse Jackson.  And it is a double standard.

I agree with your post - we're moving in the direction of a police state.  I think more people are becoming aware and I think those controlling the fight are actually in the minority but they have access to more power and as one analyst put it  - they're using the courts to accomplish what they can't accomplish through legislative means.

12th Nov, 2003 - 10:45am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Speech Freedom

Here is another story about "freedom of speech" or the lack thereof.

https://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=35544

Why is it that schools, city councils, legislatures, etc, think that they can restrict the speech of a whole religion, without any consequences?

NightHawk

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

12th Nov, 2003 - 11:56am / Post ID: #

Speech Freedom

Because they can. >:(  They get away with it all the time.  I think it is ludicrous to say that the menora isn't a religious symbol.   Same with the Star of David.  They are as much a religious symbol as any nativity scene.  How is a nativity scene not historical.  Even Jews acknowledge that Christ lived so his birth is, in fact, a matter of history.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

12th Nov, 2003 - 3:04pm / Post ID: #

Freedom of Speech

Nighthawlk, I read the last article and I could not believe it. Actually I didn't know that in US schools this religious thing is such a big deal :smile.gif if they're allowing Jews and Muslism to decorate the schools with their symbols, I don't understand why Christians are now allowed to do the same thing. sad.gif

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
    12th Nov, 2003 - 10:30pm / Post ID: #

Freedom Speech - Page 2

It is a concentrated, deliberate attack on Christianity and Christian principles.  WorldNetDaily has been documenting it quite well, and David Limbaugh has recently brought out a book detailing a lot of this battle.

For example, a Texas judge threatened graduating high school students with 6 months in jail if they used the word "Jesus" at any place in the graduation ceremony.

NightHawk

13th Nov, 2003 - 2:32pm / Post ID: #

Freedom Speech Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

For example, a Texas judge threatened graduating high school students with 6 months in jail if they used the word "Jesus" at any place in the graduation ceremony.

Now that's evil!!! what's wrong with this guy?. It's amazing in the year 2003 we still dealing with this kind of issues.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Freedom of Speech

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
    Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
    This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,