Gun Laws In Trinidad & Tobago

Gun Laws Trinidad Tobago - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 22nd Sep, 2015 - 10:09pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Trinidad Guns - Gun Permits
Post Date: 10th Oct, 2009 - 4:33am / Post ID: #

A Friend

What are the gun laws like in T&T? I'm in Connecticut, USA and I was considering moving to T&T. From what I have seen if a person has murderous intent they are less likely to try and kill someone if the other person has a way to defend themselves. Please enlighten me on how the T&T government allows it's citizens to protect themselves against thugs.

Sponsored Links:
10th Oct, 2009 - 5:02pm / Post ID: #

Tobago and Trinidad Laws Gun

international QUOTE (adamwunsch @ 10-Oct 09, 12:33 AM)
From what I have seen if a person has murderous intent they are less likely to try and kill someone if the other person has a way to defend themselves.

I am not sure where you have seen it, certainly not here in Trinidad and Tobago. There are literally thousands and thousands of illegal weapons in the country (guns to be exact). Thieves and criminals in general here are NOT, I repeat NOT afraid of someone who has a gun because most of the time they're armed themselves with either guns or machetes and they definetely are NOT afraid to use them whether they feel threatened or provoked.

international QUOTE
Please enlighten me on how the T&T government allows it's citizens to protect themselves against thugs.

I believe you can get a gun as long as you have a license for it but I don't know the details about how to get one. Mind you, it won't really "protect" you. Sometime ago a businessman visiting a friend in an affluent area in the West was brutally murdered when some thieves entered the house of his friend. He had on his possession a gun, I believe he tried to use it but he was killed regardless.

Rather off topic, but...
This is NOT unique to criminals only but some average folks keep a machete in their cars at all times. Say the wrong thing, get into an argument on traffic and they will get out and threaten with it. I have seen it.

Post Date: 13th Jul, 2010 - 5:58pm / Post ID: #

Gun Laws In Trinidad & Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Name: Internet

Comments: From the official website [this is what I found out about gun laws in Trinidad & Tobago]:

The Firearms Act, Chapter 16:01 defines a firearm as

international QUOTE
"...any lethal barrelled weapon from which ammunition can be discharged or any prohibited weapon, and includes any component part of any such weapon and accessory to any such weapon". [..]

Permission has to be granted by the Commissioner of Police. An application form for the grant of a Firearm User's License can be purchased for 28 cents at any District Revenue Office. Together with this form a certificate of good character and medical certificates from a physician and optometrist is required. This is to ensure the applicant is capable of owning and handling a firearm.

In order to be considered the applicant should have never been convicted of a criminal offense and there must be a valid reason why the firearm is necessary. Relatively new to this process is an interview with the spouse of the applicant.
[..]

If permission is granted, the applicant, accompanied by a police officer will go to a registered firearm dealer to purchase the firearm and ammunition. It is mandatory that the applicant complete a firearm training course. This is given by many companies in Trinidad including the Rifle Association and Trestrail Limited. On completion a certificate is given. In addition, the firearm has to be licensed every year and this can be done at the local police station. A person possessing a firearm without a Firearm Users License on conviction and indictment will be fined $10,000 and face imprisonment for five years. Ref. Source 6

Post Date: 21st Mar, 2011 - 10:17pm / Post ID: #

Name: Rajiv

Comments: I live in the united states and was wondering what are the laws for a us citizen with a clean background and a firearm permit, would I be able to travel with it and would I be able to obtain a permit in Trinidad? If anyone has any advice please feel free.

31st Jul, 2015 - 10:19pm / Post ID: #

On Beyond the Tape, Inspector Alexander showed the below firearm created using a wooden base. It has one round in it. These are the kinds of illegal firearms being circulated around T&T.

Image from TV6 News.

Gun Laws In Trinidad & Tobago (Hover)

Post Date: 1st Aug, 2015 - 12:17pm / Post ID: #

Name: George

Title: Gun laws in T&T

Comments: We really need to think about getting the rid of all guns in the hands of civilians in this country. Giving permits to use guns merely increase the stock of guns in this country. Why on earth we needed to arm the police with guns in the first place [..] Ever since the PNM armed the police, guns gradually became the main weapon of illegal killings. We really did not need armed police here. I have no doubt that this move by the then government was one of the first to offer 'kick backs' to some local politicians and foreign sales men. The introduction of the guns only inspired local hardened criminals to believe it was necessary to arm themselves with these weapons in order to be combat the police. Illegal guns and its associated ammunition can now be found in most communities, and is now the number one weapon of most crimes especially in Trinidad.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 22nd Sep, 2015 - 8:25pm / Post ID: #

Gun Laws Trinidad & Tobago

Name: Hyper

Comments: You're not making sense here. Do permits to have a gun magically make guns appear? Are you saying that most criminals somehow use police firearms? And you think if the police didn't have guns, criminals would just use matchetes, instead of simply buying smuggled weapons?

Post Date: 22nd Sep, 2015 - 10:09pm / Post ID: #

Gun Laws Trinidad & Tobago Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean

Name: George

Title: Gun laws in T&T

Comments: The demand for guns by private citizens certainly increases the stock of guns on this island. Moreover in my opinion if the local police were never armed in the first place the criminals would have never resorted to acquiring the arsenal of such weapons and matching ammunition they now possess. It follows logically that the surge in the demand by citizens for gun permits would never have arisen in such a situation.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Gun Laws In Trinidad & Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,