Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Create Characters For Play By Post - Page 75 of 112

Yes I am reading up on warforged and I know - Page 75 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 16th Feb, 2017 - 1:20am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

24th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Ranger
Ranger
Rogue
Rogue
Draconian
Draconian
Barbarian
Barbarian
Cleric
Cleric
Warlock
Warlock
Fighter
Fighter
Wizard
Wizard
Paladin
Paladin

+  « First of 112 pgs.  71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79  ...Latest (112) »
Closed
Forum Based Dungeons DragonsDungeons & Dragons - Only Mature Minded Players who intend on being regular participants should Post here.
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Post Date: 27th Jan, 2017 - 2:07am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Create Characters For Play By Post
A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Create Characters For Play By Post - Page 75

In character or out of character but you can introduce yourself to the others so they can meet you. However do not post in the part leaders thread as of yet as I find a way to get you in the game.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 30th Jan, 2017 - 11:44pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Post Play Characters Create Dragons and Dungeons

Lldrahil You find yourself in a dark cave. Last thing you remember you were riding on the back of a wagon trying to get some sleep when it was attacked. You remember angry shouts and then the sound of men screaming and horses screaming. You scrabble up to get out of the wagon when it suddenly flips over. You feel the wagon come crashing down on you.
You are tied up, your armor and weapons have been removed from you. Please post the action you wish to take in the party leader thread so I can work you in the game.

Post Date: 15th Feb, 2017 - 6:59pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Create Characters For Play By Post Archive Pathfinder / D&D

Rolling stats for a new character.

I've got a couple of concepts rolling about in my head, but a Warforged Crusader or Warblade are at the top of the list. Would either be acceptable?

Now, I'm leaning more towards the Crusader, setting the guy up as a devotee of the Red Knight, the goddess of tactical warfare. But there's a conflict between this campaign's format and that particular class' abilities. By RAW, what maneuvers can be used are determined randomly round to round. There is also a retributive bonus to attack and damage that fluctuates depending on what kind of damage was received last round. Both become very cumbersome to handle when trying to run four rounds at a time. Are you willing to mess with it at all, or do you have any ideas on how to adapt this particular feature to the game?

Interesting thing about the Warforged, they don't heal over time, but nor do they bleed out, they just shut down when below 0 until someone comes along with the ability to heal or repair them. Which makes for an interesting introduction possibility. The party stumbles on 'his' deactivated form, kept by this mage as a trophy of some previous battle.

In the event a warforged is fine, I have to ask how common they are, as it would make a notable impact on his background and demeanor, not to mention how others perceive him. Some settings have thousands or even millions of them, mass produced to fight wars as autonomous soldier-slaves, in others, they're nonexistent. A common middle ground I've seen is that they're rare accidental creations. Every once in a while a mage accidentally imparts free will to a golem.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 15th Feb, 2017 - 7:08pm

Post Date: 15th Feb, 2017 - 7:08pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 75 Post Play Characters Create Dragons and Dungeons

I say yes go with that. We can get him into the game. I do know that I am not very familiar with warforged but I do know that normal means of healing them are not easy. I am sure that we can get something worked out either way you wish to go. I will read up on the warblade to see how we can adopt it if you wish to go that route too.

Post Date: 15th Feb, 2017 - 7:57pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Post Play Characters Create Dragons and Dungeons

Normal healing spells do work on a warforged, but the healing recieved takes a 50% penalty. (Ironically, I believe Lukas was the only one in the party with access to something that would heal a warforged without penalty). I will be looking into means to keep his HP up without tying up more than the usual share of the healers' resources. (That is part of why Crusader seems the better option, they can heal themselves in battle, and their method of doing so isn't penalized.)

As to my other query, the Warblade class is fine, I can plan out the actions for that option four rounds ahead without notable issue.

Its the Crusader class that has the problem.

To summarize the issue, the Tome of Battle classes (Crusader, Swordsage, and Warblade) rely on expendable abilities known as maneuvers to be effective. Just as an example, if my guy were to use Vanguard Strike, I'd make a melee attack, and if it hits, allies within 30' would gain a bonus to attack the same target for the next round.

But each class has a different mechanic for what maneuvers can be used in combat at any particular point in time. While the Warblade can prepare and use them as he sees fit, for the Crusader, only 2 of the maneuvers they know are available for use in each particular turn.

Think of it like a small deck of cards (5 maneuvers to begin with and growing from there). A crusader gets two random cards at the beginning of combat ready to expend. At the end of the turn, I can draw another card. When no cards are left to draw, or the battle is over, the cards are reshuffled into the deck and the cycle resumes. Its a problem because I can't be sure ahead of time which of them are available in any particular turn without rolling first, and which are indeed available makes a big difference in tactical options.

To compare, the Warblade's deck is smaller (3 to begin), and all of them are available to expend from the beginning. The used cards are not refreshed when all expended, and are instead recovered via a swift action paired with a single nonmaneuver melee attack, or with a standard action to do something moderately useless like twirling a sword impressively.

The easy solution would be to let the Crusader use the Warblade's setup for such things, but I am rather wary about swapping class features wholesale like that, and I wouldn't blame you if you felt the same way.

The other problematic Crusader ability in this format is their delayed damage pool and its associated bonuses. Basically, a Crusader gets to ignore a portion of incoming damage (At early levels up to five points) until the end of their next turn, at which time it applies normally. They also get a scaling bonus to attack and damage depending on how much is sitting in the delayed damage pool (At early levels the most you can get is a +1). So depending on whether or not he gets hit, my guy's attack and damage modifiers are going to be fluctuating up and down in between rounds, and the only way to handle it by default would be for you to be keeping track and add the bonuses for me as applicable, a task I don't think you need to be taking on for my benefit.

If you don't want to mess with it, I can go with Warblade instead. I'll work out the HP recovery kinks some other way.

Also, woo! Nice base stats. I can definitely work with that. Now that race is settled, rolling for the other random attributes. Warforged don't have hair, but maybe that roll would be the main color of his head?

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 15th Feb, 2017 - 10:09pm

Post Date: 16th Feb, 2017 - 1:14am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Ok according the the charts your eyes are emerald Green and your head is dark brown. Your height is 6' 5" and your weight is 270. Go ahead with the rest of your character. I just need to know what book in the 3.5 rules the Crusader and the warblade are in so I can study up on them.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 16th Feb, 2017 - 1:17am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Create Characters Play Post - Page 75

Warforged Race is in both Races of Eberron and Monster Manual 3. Crusader and Warblade classes are found in the Tome of Battle

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 16th Feb, 2017 - 1:18am

Post Date: 16th Feb, 2017 - 1:20am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Create Characters Play Post D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 75

Yes I am reading up on warforged and I know some about them. I will read up on the classes in the tome of battle.

After reading both I will let you be the one of your choice. I can make anything work. It may be a little of a learning curve but I think I can do it.

Reconcile Edited: KNtoran on 16th Feb, 2017 - 1:33am

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Create Characters For Play By Post

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.