Do You Know What To Do In A Nuclear Attack? - Page 2 of 11

Now people on this forum are fairly intelligent, - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 15th Feb, 2006 - 3:56pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (11) »
Top  Do Know In Nuclear Attack
Post Date: 19th Nov, 2003 - 8:24pm / Post ID: #

Do You Know What To Do In A Nuclear Attack?
A Friend

Do You Know What To Do In A Nuclear Attack? - Page 2

There is a good book online that can be downloaded for free. It is called THE ABCs of NBC WARFARE SURVIVAL. it can be found at: https://www.survive-nbc.org/

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 21st Dec, 2003 - 5:35pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Attack Nuclear In To What You Do

The effects of a nuclear burst depend on two factors, 1) the strength or yield of the warhead, and 2) the height at which it is detonated. The effect on the population after the burst depends on 1) your distance and shielding from the actual burst at the moment it occurred, 2) the prevailing weather conditions, and 3) how much you expose yourself (leave your shelter) after the burst.

I happen to be a radiation health physicist/medical physicist. Despite my degree of disorganization, I was still able to go into the next room and grab my copy of the "National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurement" (better known as the NCRP) Report No. 42, "Radiological Factors Affecting Decision-Making In A Nuclear Attack". Its somewhat dated, having been published in 1974, but we haven't had a lot of experience on the effects of whole body exposure in humans, or the effects of intakes of transuranics and Mixed Fission Products (MFP's) since this book came out.

Leaving the cities is a wonderful idea in theory. But try it in practice once the news of a possible nuclear strike is released to the public. Americans familiar with our wonderful Interstate highway system should know that the project was started in the early fifties, for just this reason, to evacuate the cities in the event of a nuclear attack. They weren't adequate then, and with the population increase since the 1950's and the increasing tendency of the population to move back to the cities, they sure aren't adequate now. If you think rush hour is bad on a typical morning, wait and see what's it like when they announce we've gone to war with China and there is the possibility of nuclear weapon strikes as soon as four hours from this broadcast. Watch and see how quickly every gas station you know of depletes all the gas in their underground storage tanks. Its going to be ridiculous. In my case, my best bet is to contact "the authorities", be it civil or military, and tell them I'm a radiation health physicist who's knowledgable in matters of internal and external exposure to radiation. I'm pretty sure I'll be directed to the safest place that I can conveniently reach that will provide what is thought at the moment to be adequate protection.

Unfortunately, should I survive, I will be one of the people walking around determining who should receive medical treatment, and who is a terminal case on whom treatment and drugs would be wasted. That's reality, cruel as it sounds. It might be better to just head for ground zero with a bottle of whiskey, and drink yourself into a stupor while you wait to be vaporized by the heat of the atomic fireball, which is actually so hot that it burns the air within its midst. Most of the survivors will be those people who already live in the wilderness, and far from any military targets; especially farmers, people who know how to hunt and fish, and to forage.

1st Jan, 2004 - 8:31pm / Post ID: #

Do You Know What To Do In A Nuclear Attack? History & Civil Business Politics

I happen to be a radiation health physicist/medical physicist.
Wow, jeffgson, that is a remarkable education to have!

Watch and see how quickly every gas station you know of depletes all the gas in their underground storage tanks. Its going to be ridiculous.
I agree. Most people don't think about what they will do in the event of an attack, and surely don't keep their fuel tanks more than half full (which I do at all times!). The exodus from the cities will actually PREVENT most people from escaping. They will fight over who was first in line at the gas station, and some of the deaths blamed later on the attack will actually be from people killing each other over gasoline or "road rage" on the Interstate. And later, of course, over food and water.

It's a sad state of affairs, for sure. Maybe I should move to Trini smile.gif

Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Post Date: 14th Oct, 2004 - 7:56am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 Attack Nuclear In To What You Do

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 16-Nov 03, 5:59 PM)
If you know of other or better sources please do post them, I am trying to build up this section as a board for awareness. Thanks.

this is a good site for this kind of thing..pretty practical, detailed, and informative.

https://www.survivalring.org/nwss/s60p648.htm

Post Date: 14th Oct, 2004 - 11:59pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Attack Nuclear In To What You Do

I think surviving a nuclear attack would boil down to a certain amount of luck. Even if you survive the initial blast, dying of radiation poisoning is not a pleasant way to go.

If anyone knows what I am talking about please put the link here.

This link provides info on various size bombs and the effects in distance from the blast center.

https://www.nationalterroralert.com/readyguide/nuclear.htm

Potassium Iodide (KI) can sometimes help with the effects of radiation poisoning and can be purchased through your local pharmacy.

https://www.bt.cdc.gov/radiation/ki.asp

Post Date: 9th Jan, 2006 - 10:42pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

THE EFFECTS ON THE INHABITANTS OF A CITY OF THE EXPLOSION OF A NUCLEAR BOMB

"The effect of a single bomb would depend on its power, and where it exploded - high in the air or at ground level - and whether in a densely populated and built-up area like a city or in open country like an attack on a missile silo..."
Ref. https://www.3ammagazine.com/magazine/issue_...mb_effects.html

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 15th Feb, 2006 - 10:47am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Do You What To In Nuclear Attack - Page 2

I agree with Psychoses, It is a matter of luck, and as far as I am concerned any nuclear attack spells bad luck for everyone. Moreso for the survivors. The best thing to do in the event of a nuclear attack? Hope you die quickly.

Post Date: 15th Feb, 2006 - 3:56pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Do You What To In Nuclear Attack Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

Now people on this forum are fairly intelligent, so here is a scenario relevant to this discussion. (Inspired by MyInitials.)

Take a moment to answer, it might be educational for the rest.

Imagine there was a nuclear attack in your location, a small scale one, and somehow the various armies of the world did not panic and nuke everything into oblivion.

You got lucky and were far enough in the wild from town (say a fishing trip or you just got restless and drove.

You just lost your home, everything you own, almost everyone you are close to is dead. Your car won't start.

(Sidenote: Ok, I'm not sure of the specifics here but the emp blast greatly exceeds the lethal radiation/blast zone and the effects on non-military tech tends to be permanent yes?)

Would you wish to survive?

How many people you know could muster enough will just to get back to civilisiation?

And could you?

Now imagine it eventually escalated into an all out war.

Could you survive?

For how long?

How?

Why?

Reconcile Edited: Alrissa on 15th Feb, 2006 - 4:01pm

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (11) »

> TOPIC: Do You Know What To Do In A Nuclear Attack?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,