Why Kids Get Bullied And Rejected

Why Kids Bullied Rejected - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 9th May, 2017 - 12:41pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
3rd Feb, 2010 - 2:40pm / Post ID: #

In this study, it is proven that kids who are bullied and rejected have similar characteristics: Inability to pick up on and respond to nonverbal cues from their pals.

international QUOTE
In the United States, 10 to 13 percent of school-age kids experience some form of rejection by their peers. In addition to causing mental health problems, bullying and social isolation can increase the likelihood a child will get poor grades, drop out of school, or develop substance abuse problems, the researchers say.

"It really is an under-addressed public health issue," said lead researcher Clark McKown of the Rush Neurobehavioral Center in Chicago.

And the social skills children gain on the playground or elsewhere could show up later in life, according to Richard Lavoie, an expert in child social behavior who was not involved with the study. Unstructured playtime - that is, when children interact without the guidance of an authority figure - is when children experiment with the relationship styles they will have as adults, he said.

Underlying all of this: "The number one need of any human is to be liked by other humans," Lavoie told LiveScience. "But our kids are like strangers in their own land." They don't understand the basic rules of operating in society and their mistakes are usually unintentional, he said.

Social rejection

In two studies, McKown and colleagues had a total of 284 children, ages 4 to 16 years old, watch movie clips and look at photos before judging the emotions of the actors based on their facial expressions, tones of voice and body postures. Various social situations were also described and the children were questioned about appropriate responses.

The results were then compared to parent/teacher accounts of the participants' friendships and social behavior.

Kids who had social problems also had problems in at least one of three different areas of nonverbal communication: reading nonverbal cues; understanding their social meaning; and coming up with options for resolving a social conflict.

A child, for example, simply may not notice a person's scowl of impatience or understand what a tapped foot means. Or she may have trouble reconciling the desires of a friend with her own. "It is important to try to pinpoint the area or areas in a child's deficits and then build those up," McKown explained....

Ways to help your child: Source 4

Sponsored Links:
4th Feb, 2010 - 12:33am / Post ID: #

Rejected Bullied Kids Why

Interesting article. When I was a child I was bullied because I was overweight and I was very shy so I am not sure if I agree about the social cues comment.

4th Feb, 2010 - 2:56am / Post ID: #

Why Kids Get Bullied And Rejected Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I have an idea, why don't we prescribe pain killers to the rejected kids. This way when they are being beaten up it will hurt less (just kidding).

Yes, I'm sorry but this study kind of angers me. It could be the child picks up on the behavioral cues but is intellectual and waiting for the point. Also the statement that bullies have no real idea that what they are doing is hurting another person is complete hog wash. They usually learn these skills from older siblings or from their parents and know exactly how to use them.

Basically it seems this study is saying the bullies are not responsible for their actions and that rejected kids have some kind of flaw that causes them to be rejected. How about we take some responsibility with our children and not reinforce this kind of behavior. All to often I have seen adults not only allow this sort of rejection to occur, but encouraged it.
I am expecting to soon see some sort of pill that can help your childs brain pick up on social cues. I am wondering who backed the funding for these studies.

4th Mar, 2010 - 3:12am / Post ID: #

Might be because they don't have anyone listening to them at home. Got to wonder why parents don't ge more involved in what their own kids needs are like getting beat up. My parents always asked me about my day in school and I always felt like I could talk to them about anything happening.

4th Mar, 2010 - 10:17pm / Post ID: #

I'd agree with both, from my own experience, though I hadn't actually thought about the social malformation - that sounds somewhat like autism or asperger's, right?

I have that myself, naturally, and was picked on and bullied, and was also overweight, so a lot of factors were in play for me, and probably for a lot of "victims" - I also lacked a strong/stern or very determined parent or father figure, etc.

While I can see how social maladjustment or lack of development or understanding can contribute significantly to harassment, as the kid is "different" and acts weird, which can upset, confuse or cause reactionary distaste it others, I'm not sure it could be the primary cause of bullying.

7th Jun, 2010 - 4:46pm / Post ID: #

international QUOTE (JPatt @ 4-Mar 10, 5:17 PM)
While I can see how social maladjustment or lack of development or understanding can contribute significantly to harassment, as the kid is "different" and acts weird, which can upset, confuse or cause reactionary distaste it others, I'm not sure it could be the primary cause of bullying.

I agree. Actually thinking about it again, it is almost like the article/research is blaming the kid who is bullied instead of analyzing the mind and behavior of the bully. Sometimes a kiddo doesn't have to do anything to be bullied.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 5th May, 2016 - 1:52pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Why Kids Bullied Rejected

Can thinking about your pet help you cope with social rejection?

Do animals have a unique ability to comfort people, or are they just distractions from social pain? Ref. Source 4k.

Post Date: 9th May, 2017 - 12:41pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Why Kids Bullied Rejected Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

Bullying's lasting impact

A new study found that kids who are bullied in fifth grade are more likely to suffer from depression in seventh grade; and have a greater likelihood of using alcohol, marijuana or tobacco in tenth grade. Ref. Source 8e.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Why Kids Get Bullied And Rejected

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,