Tomatoes - What Shall We Do? - Page 2 of 2

Yummy, one of my favorites and it continues - Page 2 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 14th Jul, 2017 - 9:34pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
  Tomatoes,Shall Do Health benefits of the Tomato
23rd Jun, 2006 - 12:46am / Post ID: #

Tomatoes - What Shall We Do? - Page 2

I know that tomatoes are classed as a fruit, but I can honestly say that I would never eat them as this. I would always eat them as a vegetable with salt on, or used on sandwiches or in cooking.
We didn't used to have a big garden, so my Husband used to have tomato plants growing in containers outside. We found that they required plenty of watering, in fact every day, but it used to be great when he put them on the kitchen window sill to ripen off, and whenever I was making a sandwich, we had a constant supply of tomatoes to add to the sandwich, without having to go to the shops laugh.gif
The smell off the plant in Summer used to be nice too, and at least you know that your home grown tomatoes haven't been sprayed with any harmful insecticides!

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 19th Sep, 2007 - 10:04am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Do We What Tomatoes

SEEING RED - DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH ALL THOSE FRESH TOMATOES? WE CAN HELP

It's tomato time. Forget about those tennis-ball textured things you buy during the winter at the grocery store. The tomatoes in local stands, farmers markets and your own garden are juicy and full of flavor.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1,1249,...10909,00.html

TOMATO TIPS

It's OK to pick tomatoes when they're just blushing or pink. Let them sit at room temperature to ripen and develop full color and flavor. If you refrigerate them, they will will never ripen. Cold temperatures destroy the flavor enzyme in the tomato, according to the California Tomato Commission.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1,1249,...10916,00.html

19th Sep, 2007 - 3:32pm / Post ID: #

Tomatoes - What Shall We Do? Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Tomatos my nice little friends! JB you are absolutely right stewed or cooked tomatos are rough going and many get acid reflux from them or worse it come out the other end in a vapour form.

But if you have too many tomatoes coming on fast pick them green and wrap in paper and store in cool dark room. The keep a long time and you can bring them out and ripen them as required.

My dad and I used to just freeze them no scalding or blanching then just thaw them and eat as a fruit in a dish. Stewing them was more traditional as that way you could put them in a jar.

I put mine in catchup, relish (use green tomatos and some red). I just do not understand why people plant so many plants when they do not eat that many tomatos.

I also made sun dried tomatos one year through I just used the sun and salt not as healthy as DianC's method.

I planted 6 plants and made 16 pints hotdog relish fed me, 10 quarts catchup, froze 10 bags (8 big tomatos per bag) and fed us and the neighbors with tomatos all summer/fall.

Once you see you are getting as many as you need pinch off plant life that is starting to bud! You will feel better then about pulling the plant when all the fruit is gone.

Reconcile Edited: krakyn on 19th Sep, 2007 - 3:33pm

14th Apr, 2008 - 2:04am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Do We What Tomatoes

One of my favorite ways to eat a tomato is to take one like an apple, bite into it and then have a little salt handy as I go along.

Post Date: 14th Jul, 2017 - 9:30pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Do We What Tomatoes

Diet rich in tomatoes cuts skin cancer in half in mice. Daily tomato consumption appeared to cut the development of skin cancer tumors by half in a mouse study, report investigators. Source 2c.

Post Date: 14th Jul, 2017 - 9:34pm / Post ID: #

Tomatoes - What Shall We Do?
A Friend

Tomatoes - What Shall We Do?

Yummy, one of my favorites and it continues to be good for you. When I was a kid my mom would make me tomato sandwiches and they were so good.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Tomatoes - What Shall We Do?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,