What is the Meaning of Your Name? - Page 2 of 5

QUOTE Wow, interesting choices, there tena  - Page 2 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 1st Dec, 2003 - 4:39pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Post Date: 24th Nov, 2003 - 12:24am / Post ID: #

What is the Meaning of Your Name?
A Friend

What is the Meaning of Your Name? - Page 2

My father is Norwegian. Back when his father was young they didn't have fixed surnames. It changed as they moved from farm to farm, or 'counties'. At times in my Greatgrandfathers life his surname was: Oleson (Ole's son), Toverud -name of the last farm he worked on. When my Grandfather immigrated to the US in 1906 he opted to use 'New Farm' = Ny gaard. I used to think that my maiden name was so unique, until I started do the genealogy on my Dad's side. Wow, is it hard to find his ancestors. wacko.gif . I have to be sure to use the three P's: Patience, Perserverence and Prayer. happy.gif

Sponsored Links:
24th Nov, 2003 - 9:23pm / Post ID: #

Name Your Meaning the What

My family name is a very ancient one and so there are many theories regarding it's inception as well as it's meaning. Apparently many modern day surnames all derived from this one name, mine being just one of them, but I believe it may actually be the largest. Anyway, some of the meanings suggested are: "Horse Lord," "The Wise One," and "Spawn of Hell." I am not joking about the last one.

Post Date: 24th Nov, 2003 - 9:30pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

What is the Meaning of Your Name? Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

The last meaning is quite... interesting tenaheff. cool.gif

The other meaning of my name is 'Corral'. That's a literal translation of the name, and the words 'corral' and 'keep' are written really similar in my language.

Post Date: 26th Nov, 2003 - 11:30pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 Name Your Meaning the What

huh I have no idea on what my surname means huh.gif

But I know that half of my mom's maiden surname comes from Germany, as well as my dad's. The other ones I don't know dry.gif

Well maybe someday I'll find out what they mean smile.gif

Post Date: 29th Nov, 2003 - 7:27pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Name Your Meaning the What

heh... this is kinda funny. I just had to do a complete project on all this.

My name is a topographic name. My family originated near Ripoll Spain. Way back in the day, like 1232 or so. Since then we have been in France and French Canada. Not till recently did we come down to the States (one generation ago).

And thusly the name of Ripoll has transformed into Riopelle. Kinda cool huh?

30th Nov, 2003 - 10:42pm / Post ID: #

[/QUOTE]darkagent said:

Well maybe someday I'll find out what they mean
Now's as good a time as any smile.gif And it's important, not just interesting. I just ran a search on Google for my son's girfriend, who has a very unusual last name. We found some very interesting information -- and voila! She now knows a little more about her own family. You should try it biggrin.gif

AEcthelion said:
Kinda cool huh?
Very cool!

tena said:
some of the meanings suggested are: "Horse Lord," "The Wise One," and "Spawn of Hell."
Wow, interesting choices, there tena laugh.gif What's your favorite?

Seether said:
'corral' and 'keep' are written really similar in my language.
That's very interesting, and makes sense too, since the "keep" of a castle is actually kind of a "corral" for people...

AGene said:
I have to be sure to use the three P's: Patience, Perserverence and Prayer.
I hear that, Agene... and it's so worth it! I just need to learn Portuguese for the next round of searching, laugh.gif

I love geneaology!

Roz

Reconcile Edited: FarSeer on 30th Nov, 2003 - 10:45pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 1st Dec, 2003 - 3:38pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

What the Meaning Your Name - Page 2

My name is scandinavian origin and means "tha saint" smile.gif-->rolleyes.gif

and the surname translated from my native language is "new settler".

1st Dec, 2003 - 4:39pm / Post ID: #

What the Meaning Your Name Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 2

Wow, interesting choices, there tena  What's your favorite?

Depends upon my mood, I guess. Comes down to either The Wise One or Spawn of Hell. For me, I choose The Wise One, for my son........? unsure.gif laugh.gif

Of course, my son doesn't have the same last name as me, but it is still a part of his geneology so I still think it applies. wink.gif

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 1st Dec, 2003 - 4:40pm

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: What is the Meaning of Your Name?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,