Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween - Page 3 of 11

QUOTE (JB @ 5-Oct 07, 4:13 AM)Usually - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 5th Oct, 2007 - 4:55pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (11) »
Considering the history behind Halloween do you think it is right that the Church encourages the activity within its' Chapels?
Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween Related Information to Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween
Post Date: 26th Oct, 2006 - 2:50pm / Post ID: #

Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween
A Friend

Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween - Page 3

After reading the origin of halloween I have gained a greater respect for the holiday, the fact that originally it wasn't violent at all then when Christians got their hands into it, then that seems when violence and everything we see today was put into it.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 27th Oct, 2006 - 3:30pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Halloween Sponsor Church Mormon Should

Also, if some of you remember, the church used to have little haunted houses of their own, at least when I was little. They since then have gotten rid of this practice, so really there is no "evil" aspect to the ward celebration today.

4th Oct, 2007 - 6:50am / Post ID: #

Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween Studies Doctrine Mormon

I have to say as sad as it is, our ward building was locked on the night we did trunk or treat last year (2006) The year before there was a pig head that someone put in the cultural hall, more than likely because they thought it would be funny....it wasn't.

It is pretty cold in October here in Alaska and so in my opinion, not being able to go in and warm up in the building, especially with little kids, kind of took the fun out of it. It didn't feel like the ward activities we were used to doing. Some years when it is really cold and blowing they would set up chairs in a circle and let the kids go around as if they were outside. I am not sure how they are going to handle it this year.

It was interesting to read about the history--thanks for posting that.

4th Oct, 2007 - 7:47pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Halloween Sponsor Church Mormon Should

A pig head in the cultural hall you mean like a real one? That reminds me of that Lord of the Flies film. I dont think there is anything wrong with the costumes and stuff so long as there is no horror type coustumes.

Post Date: 4th Oct, 2007 - 8:02pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Halloween Sponsor Church Mormon Should

Also, if some of you remember, the church used to have little haunted houses of their own, at least when I was little. They since then have gotten rid of this practice, so really there is no "evil" aspect to the ward celebration today.

I remember when I was 8 or 9 years old in Canada, my ward had a haunted house set up in the Primary room (someone in a coffin, skeletons and we had to crawl and everything was dark) Now that I look back at it today, I think having that kind of atmosphere in Church was wrong.

Last year here in Cayman we had a branch party and the kids dressed up and activities were set up (non scary) and of course candy was given. I think branch or ward activities are better than going door to door, but then I wonder why does the church have to "celebrate" or sponsor Halloween at all.

Reconcile Edited: LdsCyn on 4th Oct, 2007 - 8:03pm

5th Oct, 2007 - 9:07am / Post ID: #

QUOTE (JenLuvsMp3 @ 4-Oct 07, 11:47 AM)
A pig head in the cultural hall you mean like a real one?

Yes, a real one. Kind of creepy huh? undecided.gif

Because of that action we no longer are able to have our ward activities inside. They were really great because the YM/YW would decorate the cultural hall and have food and games in there--but then they also set up games and decorations in the classrooms in the hallway.

They put a lot of effort into making it fun and safe for everyone. I get frustrated at times when one persons actions affect a whole group of people...but that kind of thing (pigs head) cannot be tolerated either.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
5th Oct, 2007 - 12:13pm / Post ID: #

Should Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween - Page 3

Usually that happens (ban everyone) when the person who committed the act was not caught (was he/she?). However, such incidences make people think about what Halloween is about and why it should even be in Church. If the pig's head was fake everyone might have laughed it off, but the intent is the same, just as with fake blood and real blood. We are supposed to be Saints of Symbolism, therefore we ought to be very careful which symbols we choose to represent ourselves and the Lord's Church.

5th Oct, 2007 - 4:55pm / Post ID: #

Should Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

QUOTE (JB @ 5-Oct 07, 4:13 AM)
Usually that happens (ban everyone) when the person who committed the act was not caught (was he/she?).

You know, I am not even sure about that. I am almost positive with all the "non-constructive" conversations (gossip) that goes around that, if they had caught them it would of eventually came out. As far as I know though, they didn't and the damage is done.

Rather off topic, but...
It seems as if Satan uses that as one of his biggest tools. People THINK that because they don't get caught they won't have consequences but the Lord tells us differently. It may not happen right away but the consequences will come due in His time. Other people then see them "getting away" with things and justify themselves in their own actions.

We are supposed to be Saints of Symbolism, therefore we ought to be very careful which symbols we choose to represent ourselves and the Lord's Church.

I LOVE that--Saints of Symbolism--what an awesome phrase and your right--we do need to be careful--Satan is such a master of deception and will try to make us think that something may look/sound innocent when really it is very offensive to the Lord.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (11) »

> TOPIC: Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,