Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween - Page 9 of 11

QUOTE I think if my ward family was having - Page 9 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 17th Oct, 2009 - 6:04pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 11 pgs.  5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Considering the history behind Halloween do you think it is right that the Church encourages the activity within its' Chapels?
Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween Related Information to Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween
4th Nov, 2008 - 11:35am / Post ID: #

Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween - Page 9

Alskann:

I only mentioned it because it does seem to matter to some people and those are usually the ones who like to pass condescending judgment on those who do not kowtow to how they interpret things should be done.

Thanks for replying. That's a bit of a generalization but I understand what you are saying. I think in this particular issue isn't a matter of whether some members agree with the festivity or not and whether they pass "judgment" or not to those who do participate but more whether we should use Church buildings for that purpose, if the Church should "sponsor" it. That's the issue at hand. So what do you personally think, should the Church sponsor Halloween?

Mc Kay:

Rather off topic, but...
Better to go some place you can use the restroom and grab a burger and some fries after.

laugh.gif I am pretty sure they usually allow someone to enter the building for that purpose or you may have to go home to do your thing.

Sponsored Links:
4th Nov, 2008 - 6:32pm / Post ID: #

Halloween Sponsor Church Mormon Should

I don't really care either way. I think it is perfectly fine if a ward or branch wants to hold a Halloween party - in or out- of the church building. I have known wards to have some really fun activities with really cool spook alleys.
Activities are tools for fellowship and missionary work. As long as there is appropriate supervision and organization and there are no blatant "against doctrine' aspects I see nothing wrong with it.

8th Nov, 2008 - 8:37pm / Post ID: #

Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween Studies Doctrine Mormon

I'm glad this is all over with. Its nice to walk down isles of Christmas decorations without having to see witch costumes and blood vampire makeup at every turn.

15th Oct, 2009 - 8:30pm / Post ID: #

Page 9 Halloween Sponsor Church Mormon Should

Halloween 2009 is here, have you heard announcements of activities based on Halloween in your local Ward or Stake?

16th Oct, 2009 - 3:58am / Post ID: #

Halloween Sponsor Church Mormon Should

In my last ward our relief society president was against everything, halloween, Santa Clause, you name it. She did not even let her children watch the Wizard of Oz, because it was "too scary." Her kids ran out of "Finding Nemo," because they were so upset the mother was killed. I served in the RS presidency with her, I felt her opinions "stifling." I think the ward really suffered under her reign. In fact, I moved, the ward was so "I don't know, how to explain it," but friendly is not one of the words I would use to describe this ward. Also, when my husband was laid off for an entire year, these members did not rise to the occasion and even as much as brought us a plate of cookies. I think when you start getting nit-picky about activities, whose purpose is to unite a ward family, you risk destroying the spirit of the ward.

In my opinion, there are people in our church who are really really good at following rules, so good they make up some of their own to follow, they follow these rules because it makes them feel better than the others....pride.

Yes activities should be planned with careful thought, but I was very excited to see the invitation for my primary aged children to attend a Halloween function sponsored by the Youth (whom I have two of). I love this ward, it has a wonderful spirit.

16th Oct, 2009 - 1:06pm / Post ID: #

Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween

international QUOTE (Drea @ 16-Oct 09, 3:58 AM)
In my last ward our relief society president was against everything, halloween, Santa Clause, you name it. She did not even let her children watch the Wizard of Oz, because it was "too scary." Her kids ran out of "Finding Nemo," because they were so upset the mother was killed. I served in the RS presidency with her, I felt her opinions "stifling." I think the ward really suffered under her reign.

Drea, I'm sorry but think your statement doesn't show kindness towards your former Relief Society President. I don't even know why you chose to use the word "reign" to describe the calling that has been inspired by God. Please keep in mind that some members don't believe in holidays where evil, blood, etc is openly shown, celebrated and labeled as "fun". Also keep in mind that many members want to focus on the reason for Christmas which is the birth of the Savior, Jesus Christ and not about Santa Clause. I won't call that to be "against everything" but a concerned soul who wishes to emulate what we should do and believe as Christians.

international QUOTE
  I think when you start getting nit-picky about activities, whose purpose is to unite a ward family, you risk destroying the spirit of the ward.

Thinking of wholesome, uplifting activities cannot possibly be nit-picking. I would like to know who wears a Dracula costume with blood coming out from the sides of their mouth or with a knife stabbed at their head on Halloween can actually feel the Spirit or even think that's entertaining. As Latter Day Saints we're commanded to avoid all appearance of evil.

international QUOTE
In my opinion, there are people in our church who are really really good at following rules, so good they make up some of their own to follow, they follow these rules because it makes them feel better than the others....pride.

You know, I'm not surprised by your comment. I notice that people often find fault on those who try to emulate Jesus Christ or who at least those who like to ask the question: What would Jesus do? Would he wear a gory Halloween costume? Would he teach his kids about Santa Clause? Think about it. I think the answer is quite in front of our eyes.

international QUOTE
I was very excited to see the invitation for my primary aged children to attend a Halloween function sponsored by the Youth (whom I have two of).  I love this ward, it has a wonderful spirit.

It's interesting you say for one side that you was excited to receive an invitation for a Halloween party and then state the ward has a wonderful Spirit. How can both be possible? Even in the event that the party is "clean" (no scary/gory costumes, etc) you're part of a Celebration that clearly has evil roots. I don't want you to feel I'm judging you, I'm just giving some of my thoughts with regards to this celebration. I'm aware that a lot of members out there don't see anything wrong with it. I just want to leave you guys with the question:

What would Jesus do?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
16th Oct, 2009 - 7:12pm / Post ID: #

Should Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween - Page 9

Ohh my, you may be my Relief Society President. I honestly did not mean to disrespect her, but the facts are she controlled every activity in that ward for 7 years (thus the word reign), and the facts are that the ward suffered. This was simply an observation on my part, actually quite eye-opening. Also, if you take a good hard look at her family, I would have to say her tactics were unsucessful, seeing that her son got sent home from his mission for being immoral. See the kid was so controlled, so sheltered, when he got out in the real world, he had no idea how to deal with choice, temptation, freedom. This, in my opinion, all rolls together.

However, before I left that ward, I was called to serve with her in Primary as a co-teacher, it was a blessing to me, because I left that ward appreciating her. I think that when her son completely humiliated her, she somehow changed, she softened, she became less controlling, she became more tolerant.

My observation is and I stand by it....if you want success with realtionships, be that your ward family, your family, your friends, you can't control every situation by claiming "What would Jesus do," that is a control-tactic; whether you want to admit that to yourself or not. And quite honestly, I think if my ward family was having a Halloween Party and Jesus decided to visit us, he would grab a hand-full of candy, and say boo. I would absoutely not be ashamed of wearing a Dracula costume in his presence.

The Jesus I envision, healed a blind man on the sabbath....Ohh, my, that was considered evil...but was it really evil? Obviously not, but trying to control others...is evil.

I wonder how much success you have had with your nit-picky rules? And I'm not trying to insult you, I honestly would like to know?

17th Oct, 2009 - 6:04pm / Post ID: #

Should Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 9

international QUOTE
I think if my ward family was having a Halloween Party and Jesus decided to visit us, he would grab a hand-full of candy, and say boo.

Why would he say "boo"? He is trying to scare someone? Why would he need candy? Using the comparison of healing on the Sabbath to wearing a costume that brings thoughts of serial killer, death or evil just doesn't add up to me, but it seems like it does for you. I am always amazed how sum of us pick and choose what we feel we need to justify what we want to do. Here's what, you go wear your dark creepy costumes and I'll ensure my grand kids go out dressed with something not dark like a cop, fireman, sailor, superhero, or if we can muster it even Capt. Moroni or an angel.

+  « First of 11 pgs.  5 6 7 8 9 10 11 

> TOPIC: Should The Mormon Church Sponsor Halloween

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,