Polygamy An Answer To Social Ills?

Polygamy Answer Social Ills - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 8th Dec, 2003 - 4:55pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (15) »
Best of  Polygamy An Answer Social Ills Still practised in this modern age, can we see any benefits if it were accepted in the Western Hemisphere?
Polygamy An Answer To Social Ills? Related Information to Polygamy An Answer To Social Ills?
1st Dec, 2003 - 7:22pm / Post ID: #

O.K. I read an article on the internet talking about Polygamy in Indonesia. One of the things it asserted was that Polygamy is part of the solution for some of society's problems because it provides a husband and thereby support for a woman who might otherwise remain single. Before you dismiss this out of hand, remember that in some societies in today's world, a woman without a husband hasn't much of a life or income.

The article also said it helped the married couples because a woman's sex drive doesn't last her entire life (Not my words but from the article *smile* ) and a man's does so that this helps a man to fulfill his sexual desires without committing adultery.

The article can be found at Source 1

Now, there are several religions that allow polygamy. Muslims are allowed 4 wives. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints used to allow polygamy under certain circumstances, but banned it at least in part due to the fact that it is illegal in the US. I am not sure what other faiths allow, but I think the one man/one woman model of marriage is Judeau Christian in origin yet the Bible is full of polygamous relationships. I also know there are cultures in South Africa and maybe other African nations as well that also practice polygamy.

What are your opinions on this subject. Does polygamy help solve social problems for men and women? Does it favor men over women or women over men or is it equitable?

Image from Wikimedia public domain.

Polygamy An Answer To Social Ills? (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
2nd Dec, 2003 - 8:35pm / Post ID: #

Ills Social Answer Polygamy

What are your opinions on this subject. Does polygamy help solve social problems for men and women? Does it favor men over women or women over men or is it equitable?

Hmmm touchy subject Tena laugh.gif. I could understand Polygamy in the religious sense but I don't approve it as a way to satisfy the lust of men, just like the article talks about the sex drive of men and women. I think is wrong for a man to get more than one wife just for the purpose of sex. I think is sick actually. I do understand it in the religious sense (a revelation from God) or if there is a huge war and women need to be take care of.

2nd Dec, 2003 - 8:44pm / Post ID: #

Polygamy An Answer To Social Ills? Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I think is wrong for a man to get more than one wife just for the purpose of sex.

I fully agree with you there LDS! What about as an answer to women in third world countries who need husbands to provide for them financially?

7th Dec, 2003 - 9:37pm / Post ID: #

Actually, I think that polygamy really is a cure for many societal ills. However, it does cause problems, mostly in cultures that descend from the Greek and Roman cultures.

Now, I agree that it is a very bad thing if it is done to satisfy a man's lusts. But, on the other hand, when it is done to provide a loving marriage for a woman who otherwise wouldn't have one, it is extremely good.

All too often, I hear the statement from women that "all the good men are taken." In some ways, this is true.

I know women who are not so attractive, or have other problems, that make it hard for them to get a man interested in them. I know men who would be perfectly able to provide for them, materially, spiritually, and emotionally, but are already married, so the thought would never occur that they could provide this type of support.

Also, a lot of men who are mildly (or horribly) abusive, unfaithful, neglectful, slothful, whatever, are comfortable in the knowledge that their wives don't really have any choice. They are married, and since there really does seem to be a shortage of good men, their wives would have a hard time doing better, or even finding someone to begin with.

Competition would probably make a real dent in this type of behaviour. By giving a woman a real choice as to who they can marry, by allowing men to have more than one wife, competition would force the men to be better husbands. But only if society encouraged it.

Of course, there would be abuses (just as with anything else). But the sum total, IMO, would be an improvement in society.

NightHawk

8th Dec, 2003 - 1:30am / Post ID: #

The problem of this is the control factor. Think of the many men in the world that would use this as a means to 'enslave' his household. Abuse is rampant with one wife, what would it be like with two or three, but then again maybe two women could protect each other? I really cannot comment on this outside of a spiritual context because I am not experienced wink.gif

8th Dec, 2003 - 2:28am / Post ID: #

I know women who are not so attractive, or have other problems, that make it hard for them to get a man interested in them. I know men who would be perfectly able to provide for them, materially, spiritually, and emotionally, but are already married, so the thought would never occur that they could provide this type of support.

Yes let's face knowing how women are in general, I don't think all of them can handle emotionally (not mention the men themselves)...it would be too much. We are very demanding, I personally do not think that one man can provide in the same way to all their wives. This is technically impossible, there will be some wives who would become jealous, others would feel ignored, etc. not to mention that the man may have his 'favourite' wife and so on. It may cause more trouble than a solution in my opinion. I'm just sharing the psychological effect this may have in women in general.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Dec, 2003 - 3:47pm / Post ID: #

Polygamy Answer Social Ills

I personally do not think that one man can provide in the same way to all their wives.

I agree with you. Yet, I still think for some it might work and work well. After all, for some women, in some cultures, it would be better to be a second wife than no wife at all. Not only would she enjoy the financial benefits and the social status of being this person's wife, but she would be given the opportunity for motherhood which she might not have otherwise.

there will be some wives who would become jealous, others would feel ignored, etc. not to mention that the man may have his 'favourite' wife and so on.

I know I am not mature enough or secure enough to be in a polygamous marriage myself, but it has worked for others in the past and even does today for some.

8th Dec, 2003 - 4:55pm / Post ID: #

Polygamy Answer Social Ills Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

Yet, I still think for some it might work and work well. After all, for some women, in some cultures, it would be better to be a second wife than no wife at all. Not only would she enjoy the financial benefits and the social status of being this person's wife, but she would be given the opportunity for motherhood which she might not have otherwise.

Very true, although I wonder how many women from the Western world would be okay with it.

I know I am not mature enough or secure enough to be in a polygamous marriage myself, but it has worked for others in the past and even does today for some.

I understand and you may be right, I just cannot see a polygamous marriage as 'sucessful', the man or a couple of wives may think it is but I am sure not all the parties involved in the marriage itself are happy. In my opinion, of course.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (15) »

> TOPIC: Polygamy An Answer To Social Ills?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,