Microsoft - Page 2 of 4

The image Microsoft doesn't want you - Page 2 - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 19th Apr, 2010 - 3:58am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Microsoft Bill Gates
Microsoft Corporation Review - Computer World Domination?
10th Dec, 2003 - 2:15pm / Post ID: #

Microsoft - Page 2

I read the two articles and I don't necessarily agree that what is driving this is Microsoft's desire to put the small guy out of business. I am an IT Manager so I know about all the security issues and virus issues, etc., and how much they can cost a business - one to prevent and two to clean up from when the prevention doesn't work. It is a sad thing, but I think it is likely necessary from a business standpoint. I know Microsoft is under increased pressure from the business community to do something about all of these security leaks. This would help. Viruses and worms are e-mailed all the time. I am sure those files would not be "trusted" so they wouldn't run and therefore they wouldn't work their evil destruction.

Now, it may be that Microsoft will use this as a means to drive the little guy out of business. I do think Microsoft always looks for ways to dominate, but if it weren't for all the people who so freely pirate software or write and spread viruses, it wouldn't be necessary. I think the business community is likely to embrace this because they will see it as a way to keep their systems up, running and more reliable. We shall see.

I don't like the idea of Microsoft having more control, but society is giving them the excuse to take it.

Sponsored Links:
10th Dec, 2003 - 4:55pm / Post ID: #

Microsoft

QUOTE (tenaheff @ 10-Dec 03, 9:15 AM)
I read the two articles and I don't necessarily agree that what is driving this is Microsoft's desire to put the small guy out of business.

I can agree that Microsoft's main purpose might not be to drive the small guys out of business, but they would certainly like to shut down the Open Source movement! They have been seeking ways to subvert and destroy Java and Linux already.

They brought out J++, which was a corruption of Java, with the idea that they could overwhelm the Java world with a proprietary form. But Java developers refused to use it.

Microsoft has also been seeking ways to enter the Linux market, again with a proprietary form. But again, Linux developers and users won't stand for it.

So, even if the purpose isn't to destroy open source software, what do you think the effects will be?

NightHawk

10th Dec, 2003 - 5:15pm / Post ID: #

Microsoft Gaming Video & Issues Computer

Believe me, I agree with you that Microsoft wants more of a monopoly than they already have. No argument here. I am just saying that we as a society are to blame for the manner in which they are going to be able to accomplish it.

10th Dec, 2003 - 6:32pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Microsoft

Nighthawk said:

Microsoft has also been seeking ways to enter the Linux market, again with a proprietary form. But again, Linux developers and users won't stand for it.

I saw a packaged Microsoft / Linux operating system which basically allowed you to have a linux environment running windows software. very buggy though.

I would like to know Bill Gate's ultimate motive though since all they release on the market is really 1 or 2 years old. Today i am sure somewhere someone has the Pentium 6 5000mhz chip with 2mb ram testing it out to see what profit it will give the market running the Windows 2010 operating system. smile.gif-->rolleyes.gif

10th Dec, 2003 - 6:38pm / Post ID: #

Microsoft

I saw a packaged Microsoft / Linux operating system which basically allowed you to have a linux environment running windows software. very buggy though.

There used to be one for Macs too. A better question is why would someone running a Mac want windows on top of it. If you want Windows, buy a PC, if you want Mac, buy Mac. I think Microsoft creates these packages so that diehard Mac Users, etc., will use Windows become familiar with it, and decide their next computer purchase will be a PC, since they are generally cheaper and more compatible with everyone else, anyway.

I think it is all about doing as much business as you can. Period. If we are all on closed systems and forced to upgrade every two years, they make more money. There is no question that Microsoft has taken steps in the past with licensing to attempt to get people to upgrade to new versions even if the one they currently run does everything they need. They don't make any money on me if I don't buy something new. At one time, they were talking about only selling you a license that lasted for a year or two and then had to be renewed.

Of course this isn't much difference between that and what the Antivirus companies do. You own the software, but you can't keep your virus definitions updated unless you subscribe to their service every year.

10th Dec, 2003 - 8:34pm / Post ID: #

Microsoft

I am still working on getting Linux running. It is running on one old computer, but it isn't on the network yet, and I need to make some changes.

Most Linux distributions come with Wine installed, which is a set of DLLs that emulate Windows. I have read that it is becoming very stable, and will run many, if not most, Windows programs.

When I set up Linux on my laptop, I will set up a 5 GB partition for Windows data, and run Wine so that I can access GospeLink. PAF is probably about the only other program I will worry about.

Mac is now using OS 10, that is actually Unix with the Mac OS on top. But then the Mac OS kernal has been essentially Unix for years.

There is no doubt that M$'s desire is to make people buy their products. That, plus security, is the main reason I am switching to Linux.

NightHawk

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
10th Dec, 2003 - 9:49pm / Post ID: #

Microsoft - Page 2

There is no doubt that M$'s desire is to make people buy their products. That, plus security, is the main reason I am switching to Linux.

Is this at home or work? I believe it is very difficult for businesses to use something other than Microsoft and remain compatible with the majority of other businesses with whom they share data. Just as you have seen with your personal needs - PAF and Gospel Link - most software is written for Windows.

Post Date: 19th Apr, 2010 - 3:58am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Microsoft Computer Issues & Video Gaming - Page 2

The image Microsoft doesn't want you to see:

Too tired to stay awake, the Chinese workers earning just 34p an hour Ref. Source 8

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Microsoft

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,