Trinidad Parenting Children With Autism - Page 3 of 7

Clandice, there are a couple of school who - Page 3 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 27th Dec, 2013 - 1:52pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Autism In Trinidad and Tobago - The challenges of being an Autism Parent in this country are enormous. The most basic rights of children on the Autism Spectrum is not given. Also: APATT Community
2nd Mar, 2011 - 2:27am / Post ID: #

Trinidad Parenting Children With Autism - Page 3

Amoy, I hear you loud and clear! And you know what? I am somewhat relieved that my husband and I aren't the only ones who feel this way (to want to protect our sons at all times). It's so hard and that's why we have to work hard in training our kids so they can be prepared to face the scary world out there.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 2nd Mar, 2011 - 9:33pm / Post ID: #

Autism Children Parenting Trinidad

Name: Heather

Comments: I love visiting autism place, the surrounding and the friendly lady at the center. her name is Amoy who is always helpful and willing to share information. I visited with my friends who attend SAGHS. Looking forward to their sensory camp.

Post Date: 15th May, 2011 - 11:32pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad Parenting Children With Autism Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Name: Amoy

Comments: At Mt Hope Hospital there is a special Dental Clinic for children with special needs. Its by appointment basis but I find the wait is not a long one. you are given a specific time and usually seen withing the given time. I have taken my son several times and found the staff to be very friendly and kind to both the parents and the child. You are allowed to be in the room so this was a plus for me too. Check it out But do a social story with your child. talk to him about what will happen at the dentist, what he will see, the receptionist will call his name, waiting his turn, sitting in the special chair and what the dentist will ask him to do. If you can use pictures to add to your story that will be great as well. How about if you have access to internet go online and view videos on u tube with visit to dentist with small children with autism and find a suitable one and allow your son to view it and talk to him through it. another wonderful thing you can do is if you have a camera you can take it with you and ask permission first if you can take pictures of your son going to the receptionist, waiting, meeting the dentist, sitting on the special chair etc and make a small picture book for him and I am sure going to dentist will not be so bad if he have his own special picture book to look at and if you laminate the pages and use Velcro with the pictures he can turn the pages and he knows what is happening next Good Luck

Post Date: 15th Apr, 2012 - 7:42pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Autism Children Parenting Trinidad

Name: Cynthia

Comments: The government needs to have a school setup specifically for children who are autistic and fill it with QUALIFIED teachers and care givers that can help the children and give them the life skill they need.

22nd Apr, 2012 - 8:22pm / Post ID: #

Autism Children Parenting Trinidad

I will like to know what is autism exactly? I hear about it like once or twice a year but recently I notice I have been hearing this word even more often.

22nd Apr, 2012 - 8:29pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad Parenting Children With Autism

Autism is a an umbrella word for many characteristics and patterns of behavior. For instance there may be an autistic child that tip toes everywhere on his feet while another child may not tip toe but becomes inconsolable everytime he sees a red toy. The more common characteristics involve:

* Echolalia - repeating what you say
* Stimming - moving in circles, flapping hands or rocking
* Lining up toys or unsure how to play with toys
* Being unaware of surroundings and social cues
* Screaming or shouting for no apparent reason
* Unable to sit still or be at peace, must be moving or making sudden movements
* Eats only a few food items and nothing more
* Becoming extremely emotional because of slight changes in daily routine
* Basic tasks are a huge task: eating, bathing, using toilet, etc.

These are the basics. We have many Threads about different forms of autism and what parents go through to cope, you may want to browse through them.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 26th Dec, 2013 - 8:08pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad Parenting Children Autism - Page 3

Name: Clandice

Comments: Anywhere in Trinidad has a special school that handles children under the spectrum?

27th Dec, 2013 - 1:52pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad Parenting Children Autism Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 3

Clandice, there are a couple of school who claim to help children under spectrum but my experience has been horrible and I wouldn't recommend them. The lack of proper services for children with autism is a serious problem, most of the time I met under-qualified money-hungry staff who "Babysit" These children.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: Trinidad Parenting Children With Autism

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,