Earthquake - Page 3 of 6

Thanks Farseer, we've no damage, I - Page 3 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 2nd Mar, 2008 - 6:38pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Ear-r-rthq-q-quake!
2nd Oct, 2006 - 3:44am / Post ID: #

Earthquake - Page 3

QUOTE (FarSeer)
...get next to something large and heavy and curl up in a fetal position

What if that same large and heavy thing came down on you?

I think the safe bet would be to be by the external door checking to see which part is safer (inside our out). If the building your in is super strong then you may be safer there, but if it is of wood or other light material then you might be in trouble.

As LDS_forever said, they have been showing on TV that you should stay inside, isn't that old school? I wonder if they warn you based on your country's typical environment?

Two case scenario, in both cases I reacted quickly:

1. I was in Church with the Youth and told them we should all go outside (mostly because of what I read here)

2. With the incident LDS_forever mentioned I braced some of our stuff so it would not fall, we would of had no chance to get outside really.

In #2 one suggestion is that you bolt shelving units and cupboards to the wall rather have them stand on their own - problem is that is only realistic in your own home.

Offtopic but,
FarSeer, not to scare you, but I am almost certain that most of California will experience a terrible earthquake - something never before seen - I would NEVER live there.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3209 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
4th Oct, 2006 - 1:42am / Post ID: #

Earthquake

I didn't say a "tall" heavy thing. wink.gif

The whole point of being next to something large and heavy (but not tall), as the article points out, is that if the ceiling collapses there will be space around the big heavy item. Anything under the big heavy thing, says Mr. Copp, will be squashed every time. As you say, there isn't always a lot of time to react, especially if you're asleep when it happens. To be able to keep one option available in your mind might make the difference between life and death.

I fully believe in bracing, strapping, and otherwise securing anything that has the potential to fall over and crush - bookcases, televisions and the cabinets that hold them, water heaters, lamps, large art, etc., as well as drawing curtains at night to prevent shattered window glass from flying around.

Common sense and planning hopefully will win out, rather than freezing like a deer in the headlights.

Offtopic but,
FarSeer, not to scare you, but I am almost certain that most of California will experience a terrible earthquake - something never before seen - I would NEVER live there.

What, and Trini doesn't have that potential? Everywhere humans live there is the potential for Nature to cause damage of some sort. Where else would I go?

Reconcile Edited: FarSeer on 4th Oct, 2006 - 1:48am

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

4th Oct, 2006 - 3:17am / Post ID: #

Earthquake History & Civil Business Politics

When you consider Earthquakes you also begin to consider the structural integrity of your home. Here in the Caribbean I see many houses that are built on 'sand' and being held up by a string really, the only thing they keep out is water, but should a good storm or earthquake pass through there would be utter destruction.

Offtopic but,
FarSeer, sure, but some place have earthquakes and other places have earthquakes! As far as I know your area has been having damaging ones whereas ours just tickle us *knock on wood*. As for where to go... Nighthawk I am sure has a good suggestion.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3209 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

15th Oct, 2006 - 9:53pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Earthquake

It seems like an Earthquake hit Hawaii pretty bad...

HONOLULU, Hawaii (CNN) -- Hawaii Gov. Linda Lingle issued a disaster declaration for the entire state about four hours after a strong earthquake rumbled throughout its Big Island at 7:07 a.m. (1:07 p.m. ET) Sunday.

The quake knocked out power at many homes across the island chain and caused at least one landslide on a major roadway on the island of Hawaii, known as the Big Island, according to Hawaii's KITV. Officials said a state of emergency had been declared on the Big Island.

Authorities told KITV they have not received news of any fatalities from the strong quake, which was measured by the National Earthquake Information Center as 6.6 in magnitude.

Emergency room ceilings collapsed and electricity went out at Kona Community Hospital, which began transporting seriously ill patients and nursing home patients to Hilo Medical Center around 11 a.m. (5 p.m. ET), said spokeswoman Terry Lewis.

No Kona Hospital patients were injured during the quake, Lewis said.

Bill Wong, a Big Island resident, said damage to buildings was extensive. He said the 100-foot-tall stack to a century-old sugar mill collapsed into a pile of rubble. "Everything in our house is damaged," he said. "Our whole house was rocking, it was swaying from left to right," he said. He described his neighborhood after the quakes as looking "like a war zone."

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

16th Nov, 2006 - 2:43pm / Post ID: #

Earthquake

I knew it! I felt it yesterday but I thought it was my imagination. My bed started shaking a little bit and when I asked my son about it, he did not have idea what I was talking about, that's why I thought it was just me.

An earthquake of magnitude 4.8 hit Trinidad at 4.26 p.m. yesterday, leaving many Trinidadians shaken.

The earthquake, which occurred approximately 100 kilometres west of Port of Spain, had a focal depth of 80 kilometres, and was reportedly felt in Diego Martin, St Augustine, San Fernando and Piarco.

Education and research officer at the Seismic Research Unit at The University of the West Indies, St Augustine, Stacey Edwards, said no reports of damage or injuries had been received thus far.

Reminding citizens that Trinidad and Tobago was in a zone of high seismic activity, Edwards said earthquakes are caused by the movement of tectonic plates.

Saying that aftershocks were expected, she warned that some may be felt while others may not.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

28th Feb, 2008 - 12:51am / Post ID: #

Earthquake

We had an earthquake here last night, I think it measured 5.2 on the Richter scale, so was quite a strong one for the UK!
My Son's phone was banging on his bed, the beds in all the bedrooms were moving!
My boss said her wardrobe doors shot open and started to bang, which was really frightening for her!
It came totally unexpectedly and caught people off guard. If this is a sign of changing times, people will have to start thinking of being prepared for them.
My dog was badly affected, and is still a bit 'jittery' today, but I expect she'll be better tomorrow now that things seem to have calmed down today.

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 29 ActivistPoliticianActivist 2.9%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Feb, 2008 - 1:41pm / Post ID: #

Earthquake - Page 3

I heard about that on the news, DianeC, and wondered where it was felt in the UK. Glad to know that you suffered no damage from the quake.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

2nd Mar, 2008 - 6:38pm / Post ID: #

Earthquake Politics Business Civil & History - Page 3

Thanks Farseer, we've no damage, I think the whole area was just so surprised at the strength of the earthquake- it was felt more or less the whole length of England to some degree, and has certainly given everyone plenty to talk about!

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 29 ActivistPoliticianActivist 2.9%

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Earthquake

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,