Earthquake - Page 4 of 6

Millions 'drop' in US quake - Page 4 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 14th Nov, 2008 - 11:30pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Ear-r-rthq-q-quake!
Post Date: 6th Jun, 2008 - 1:41am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Earthquake - Page 4

Earthquake advice a bit shaky

An email advising people against taking cover under desks during an earthquake has been labelled misleading by New Zealand authorities.
Ref. https://www.stuff.co.nz/4573884a10.html

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 6th Jun, 2008 - 4:08pm / Post ID: #

Earthquake
A Friend

Earthquake

I had always heard to go outside in a earthquake. To seek shelter in a opened area. That way your protected from anything falling on you. I have never felt or been in a situation where the earth moved on me so I really do not know how I would react.

6th Jun, 2008 - 7:24pm / Post ID: #

Earthquake History & Civil Business Politics

The funny thing about earthquakes is when they hit, they last for only 5 - 20 seconds. But it seems like they go on and on and on! Some you can hear approaching; others just hit with a sudden "bang!" and there's no time to think about what to do. It helps to practice smile.gif

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

6th Jun, 2008 - 7:33pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Earthquake

So what is it really, go outside or stay inside under a doorway? The safety people just cant seem to make up their mind what's best for us.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 18 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.8%

13th Nov, 2008 - 4:51am / Post ID: #

Earthquake

The Great Southern California Shake Out! This will be interesting to experience -- my daughter's school will be participating, and I'll probably be the only one at work to join in, but I think it's important to be prepared.

Source 4

At exactly 10 a.m. tomorrow, about 5 million people in Southern California will drop to the ground, take cover under a sturdy piece of furniture and hold on at the same time. Radio stations and school p.a. systems will play a sound track of rumbling and crashing, along with a man's voice declaring, "If this were the magnitude 7.8 earthquake we're practicing for today, you would be experiencing sudden and intense back-and-forth motions of up to 6 ft. per second. The floor or the ground would jerk sideways out from under you. Look around and imagine."

If this sounds weird, it's because it is. The Great ShakeOut, as it's being dubbed, is the biggest public emergency drill in U.S. history - and as such, it is a radical idea. Normally, large-scale disaster drills, which happen weekly across the country, are designed for professional rescuers, emergency managers and politicians. Not for you, and not for me. In fact, the people who matter most in a real-world emergency - the neighbors, office workers and students who do the majority of the lifesaving during big disasters - are almost never invited.

California's drill, too, originally was scheduled as an exercise for only emergency officials. That exercise, called Golden Guardian, will involve about 5,000 officials, from the local police to the U.S. military, all pretending they are responding to a major quake along the San Andreas Fault.

But most Southern Californians cannot readily imagine a quake of that scale. They haven't experienced one before, so they don't know how the g-forces will feel. The intent of the ShakeOut drill is to hijack the imagination. "Time and again, we've heard that there is a weak link between the scientific understanding of quakes and the ability of the public to pay attention and change their behavior," says Mariana Amatullo at the Art Center College of Design, one of the organizers of the event. "The goal was to find new opportunities for the public to be a little more resilient and empowered."

Here's where they are registering folks to participate: https://www.shakeout.org

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Post Date: 13th Nov, 2008 - 10:40am / Post ID: #

Earthquake

Millions set for US quake drill

Some five million Californians are set to take part in what organisers say will be America's biggest earthquake drill.
Ref. Source 5

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 13th Nov, 2008 - 3:35pm / Post ID: #

Earthquake
A Friend

Earthquake - Page 4

I think this is a good idea. It gives people a chance to prepare and learn what to do if it comes true. It is like the tornado drills we have in schools and offices over here. We have to be prepared and know what to do if something like this suddenly occurs. Being prepared and knowing what to do is a major step in recovery when it does happen.

Post Date: 14th Nov, 2008 - 11:30pm / Post ID: #

Earthquake Politics Business Civil & History - Page 4

Millions 'drop' in US quake drill

Some five million Californians "drop, cover and hold on", in what organisers say is America's biggest earthquake drill.
Ref. Source 3

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Earthquake

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,