Earthquake - Page 5 of 6

I was checking the UWI Seismic Research Centre - Page 5 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 16th Jul, 2015 - 6:33pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Ear-r-rthq-q-quake!
15th Nov, 2008 - 3:22pm / Post ID: #

Earthquake - Page 5

I participated in this - funny, because I was the only person at work who had actually heard about it - and I had my HAM radio with me to monitor how the different areas were handling "traffic" on the air. It was interesting to hear the "mock" staging of resources and how other states actually participated to say, "We can send "x number" of water trucks from Southern Arizona," or whatever. Of course, all was calm and organized - which it wouldn't be if the emergency were real. But so many schools checked in and clinics and hospitals, etc., that I think it was a good drill for emergency personnel, particularly.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 15th Nov, 2008 - 3:40pm / Post ID: #

Earthquake
A Friend

Earthquake

Yes that is correct. It was a good exercise for the emergency response people. Knowing what their job is in any given event is a good tool for them to use when it actually does happen. Many airports do this type of drill yearly in preparation of a major crash. It has proven to pay off when the United Flight crashed in Sioux City, Iowa.

It was proven that the emergency workers and first responders did what they were trained to do and the coordinated effort went smooth because of the training they had. Where they all calm? I very much doubt it but in this type of situation people have been shown that they do as they were trained and that is what makes the difference in a major disaster. With out the training it would be a huge mess.

17th Nov, 2008 - 1:27pm / Post ID: #

Earthquake History & Civil Business Politics

How interesting that we should have an earthquake today, just 3 days after the drill. Only 4.1, but it was epicentered just 30 miles from here and it *rocked* the house at 4:20 this morning.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Post Date: 1st Mar, 2010 - 10:31pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Page 5 Earthquake

Seismologist Roger Bilham: "In Recent Earthquakes, Buildings Have Acted as Weapons of Mass Destruction"

Even as the people of southern Chile continue to grapple with the rising death toll and the devastation wrought by Saturday's massive earthquake, many seismologists believe the wreckage could have been far worse. The 8.8-magnitude earthquake that struck Chile early Saturday morning was 500 times more powerful than the 7.0-magnitude earthquake that struck Haiti on January 12th of this year. But it caused only a fraction of the casualties in comparison to the 300,000 people estimated to have died in Haiti. Seismologists suggest that one reason for the difference in scale is that Chile enforced building codes for earthquake resistant structures after the experience of a 9.0-magnitude earthquake fifty years ago in 1960. Ref. Source 6

1st Apr, 2010 - 1:57am / Post ID: #

Earthquake

One of the big problems with Earthquakes is that they cannot be accurately followed or predicted as one would predict a hurricane but that may soon change because of toads! See this Thread: Source 1

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3209 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 17th Mar, 2013 - 12:24pm / Post ID: #

Earthquake

Monster earthquake would devastate Pacific Northwest:

When it hits, the report says, there will be devastation and death from Northern California to British Columbia. Ref. Source 7

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 18th Jul, 2014 - 5:36pm / Post ID: #

Earthquake - Page 5

Report: Eastern U.S. At greater risk for earthquakes

Earthquake hazards appear to be growing in parts of the eastern and central U.S. Ref. Source 7

16th Jul, 2015 - 6:33pm / Post ID: #

Earthquake Politics Business Civil & History - Page 5

I was checking the UWI Seismic Research Centre FB page and there was a lot of activity in Barbados and surrounding areas today and continues.

The first one was at 7:01am with a magnitude of 5.7. Then another one at 11:16 am with a magnitude of 6.4. A third was felt at 11:29 am with a magnitude of 5.1. A fourth at 11:36 with a magnitude of 5.3. And a fifth one at 12:23pm (That also was felt in Port of Spain, Trinidad) with a magnitude of 3.8. Source 4e

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Earthquake

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,