Earthquake - Page 2 of 6

Wow, those are some good sized quakes! - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 2nd Oct, 2006 - 3:01am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Ear-r-rthq-q-quake!
13th Nov, 2004 - 11:57am / Post ID: #

Earthquake - Page 2

That is really good information and food for thought. It does make perfect sense and now I will use my instinct rather than simply 'duck' under something. However, I was just thinking.... if possible, wouldn't the best thing be to get outside of the building especially if it is your home, if you can?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3208 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
13th Nov, 2004 - 2:18pm / Post ID: #

Earthquake

Yes, the article actual says it is best to be outside:

Get near the outer walls of buildings or outside of them if possible.

I think it may not always be possible to get outside. You might have to use the stairs for example and it was quite clear that you should stay away from stairs. Also, in a large building, you might need more time that is available to get the outdoors. Quakes only last seconds to minutes, during which time everything around you could be collapsing.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

13th Nov, 2004 - 5:58pm / Post ID: #

Earthquake History & Civil Business Politics

I found the link! There's more good reading here. He's a very interesting man, creative and caring.
https://www.amerrescue.org/arti_survivalarticle.htm

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

13th Jun, 2005 - 12:59am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Earthquake

Well, we had a "doozy" this morning at about 8:30 a.m. -- right before church! In a little town called Anza, about 20 miles from here. (It's in my stake, actually.) Just 30 miles from Palm Springs. It's expected that we will have more of *at least* the same magnitude (5.6) or bigger over the next few days. This area is known as the "Anza Seismic Gap" and there is a researcher named Frank Condon who has been warning of activity here for quite some time -- mainly because there hasn't been any significant activity for many years (something like 300 years! )

Here's a link from the Broadband Seismic Data Center:
https://eqinfo.ucsd.edu/faq/concerns.html

The most significant recent information to be developed for the seismic potential of the Anza segment is the 1750 date for the last major earthquake. Using the 142 year recurrence interval of the 1988 report a magnitude 7 earthquake is now 100 years overdue. If one prefers the Phase II report then the characteristic earthquake can be a magnitude 7.5 with the peak in the conditional probability distribution in the year 2000. In either scenario, the characteristic earthquake can generate significant damage in the major population areas of the Los Angeles basin (90-150 km distant), San Diego (90 km), and the San Bernardino Valley (60 km) (map of southern California)

We're right in the middle of those three areas, L.A., S.D., and San Berdo. I'll let you know how it goes smile.gif

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Post Date: 9th Sep, 2005 - 12:43pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Earthquake

California Earthquake Could Be the Next Katrina

Los Angeles Times - U.S. Geological Survey seismologist Lucy Jones remembers attending an emergency training session in August 2001 with the Federal Emergency Management Agency that discussed the three most likely catastrophes to strike the United States.
Ref. https://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ethenextkatrina

10th Apr, 2006 - 1:54pm / Post ID: #

Earthquake

https://www.physorg.com/news63821413.html
Car culture heightens earthquake danger in California: scientists

Elevated freeways, highway overpasses, and garages built under homes are vulnerable to crashing down when the earth shudders, said seismologist Jack Boatwright of the US Geological Survey.

"The automobile culture is really a knife in the heart of earthquake preparedness," Boatwright told AFP. "We are only as strong as our weakest overpass."

Another key weakness is structural, including building code oversights exposed by the deadly Northridge earthquake that struck in the Los Angeles area in 1994, scientists said.

The big Oakland earthquake in 1989 was a great example of this. Remember all the pictures of cars caught in the collapse of the multi-level freeways and bridges?

This article makes some excellent points. Since we all spend so much time in our cars, and California has so little space in the Metropolitan areas, we could see some very high casualty rates from another big earthquake, just from these factors.

Here is a site with information about the Oakland earthquake.
https://www.sfmuseum.org/1906/89.html

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Oct, 2006 - 10:12pm / Post ID: #

Earthquake - Page 2

We had a couple of earthquakes last week. Trinidad is known for earthquakes. One was at the morning measuring 6.0 and the other was at the afternoon measuring 5.5. I felt both of them. In the morning one, I was laying down in the bed with my baby. It really felt strong! JB quickly ran to hold the TV and other stuff from falling. Poor Felipe just froze and he won't stop talking about it. laugh.gif

Now, I read this thread and there are some articles that suggest to run outside but I have read everywhere (including a tv show about it just now) that says that running outside is the MOST dangerous thing you can do during an earthquake because pieces of broken buildings can fall on you. So what to do really?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

2nd Oct, 2006 - 3:01am / Post ID: #

Earthquake Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

Wow, those are some good sized quakes! Everyone is okay, I take it, and no damage?

I think it's safer to dodge falling pieces than to dodge an entire ceiling. The point of being outside is to avoid being crushed, and to be able to have an escape. As the Copp article states:

Get near the outer walls of buildings or outside of them if possible.  It is much better to be near the outside of the building rather than the interior.  The farther inside you are from the outside perimeter of the building the greater the probability that your escape route will be blocked.

It's all relative, though. How much time do we really have to think when an earthquake occurs? They are generally done before we can think or react. I think the wisest choice is to get next to something large and heavy and curl up in a fetal position and hope for the best. smile.gif

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Earthquake

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,