Tobago Crime - Page 3 of 3

Name: George Title: Murder in Tobago Comments: - Page 3 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 11th Feb, 2017 - 1:40pm

Register Login Text RPG Play Text RPG ? New: 25 69 198 Why Join? Help Register/Login via:
Welcome Guest

+  1 2 3 
Trinidad Tobago Crime in Tobago
Post Date: 22nd Oct, 2010 - 12:58am / Post ID: #

Name: Muse

Comments: This is a little late to the post, too, but I just wanted to point out that in May 2008 I was the victim of a violent crime in Tobago. I was a foreigner living in Trinidad and a friend and I had decided to take a trip to Tobago. I had thought the danger would be in Trinidad -- never faced any problem in the 6 months I lived there. First night in Tobago sexually assaulted and robbed at knife point in the middle of the night. Never was reported on the news or anything. It was like it never happened. Much later when the two British tourists were sexually assaulted, they arrested some guy (who knows if it was the right guy) and in passing they mentioned that in addition to the many counts of s-xual assault and robbery he faced, he had robbed some people in May of 2008 (us). Tobago? Don't think I'll be going back... That's it. Never knew if this was the right guy or whether he was actually ever convicted.
Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 27th Dec, 2010 - 11:49pm / Post ID: #

Dia. Mod + Chief Mod
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 17,281
Avg: 4.0 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 886.20 FP
Charm: 326
I was reading an interview with British couple Peter and Murium Green, if you all remember they were brutally attacked in Tobago last year. Well, at that time when I read what happened and later on their words defending Tobago despite this horrible incident and that they would be returning I thought those words were just words coming out of "shock", after all these two people were almost killed and anyone in that situation wouldn't be saying that.

Anyhow, they changed their minds about this whole thing and they are now speaking up about what truly transpired with the police AND at the hospital. Some extracts of the interview:

Attached Image QUOTE
One aggravating factor, the couple said, was when a man, who they identified as Farid Hinds, who claimed to be an official of the Tourism Ministry based in Tobago visited them in England months after the attack bearing gifts -- a miniature steelpan and a brightly patterned beach wrap.
The couple said they invited Hinds into their home and, in return, they were asked to return to Tobago to take part in Carnival.
"He wanted us to sit on a float and tell everybody what a fantastic country Tobago is," says Murium.

"I"ve never spoken about this before, because I didn't want to cause any further trouble for Trinidad and Tobago, but I found some of my treatment in the hospital appalling".
"The doctors did all they could for me but one nurse would whisper to me that I was a "white bastard" and that I would be "punished" at night".
"On one occasion, my sister saw a nurse washing my open wounds with a cloth which she had previously used to wash my bottom. When my sister complained, the nurses refused to let her in to see me for an entire day".
"The truth is, there are some Tobagonians who hate foreigners and aren't afraid to show it. The entire time I was in hospital, I was terrified. When I finally flew home after three weeks, I"ll never forget the relief I felt," said Peter.

The couple, however, went on to add that they have not yet received any of the compensation promised to them by Chief Secretary of the Tobago House of Assembly (THA), Orville London.
"We"re not poor; we worked hard and saved for our retirement. But we"ve had to spend a lot of money on our rehabilitation. We"re entitled to nothing from the British Government because the attack happened abroad, but we feel very upset and disappointed that we"ve had nothing from Tobago. It feels as if they don't care," Peter said.

Peter said when he called the police sergeant in charge of the investigation to enquire about a new date for the trial, the officer told him he did not know.
Attached Image QUOTE
"The longer we were there, the more of the other side of Tobago we saw.

"We knew women who had been raped and other people who had been violently attacked.

"We were robbed four times and we had to install heavy bars across the windows at our villa.

"This year, there have been more than 400 murders there. It's not safe."

Mr Green said: "During our time in Tobago, we fired someone who worked for us because we suspected that person had been stealing from us.

"But prior to that, we had made arrangements to leave the villa to that person after we died.

"Obviously we changed those arrangements, and they found out and were angry.

"We told the police, who interviewed the person but didn't take it any further.

"They seem to blame us, which is very frightening as we have to go back there for a hearing on January 11."

Post Date: 28th Jan, 2011 - 3:42am / Post ID: #

Member Senior
[?] CPosts: 536
Avg: 0.2 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 6.0%
[+] Gain: 378.21 FP
Charm: 11
Well if we take into consideration the type of crimes that were committed in Tobago with regards to foreigners we can surely say the issue is serious no matter what anyone else says. Tobago should be super protected because of our tourism however it isn't.

Post Date: 11th Feb, 2017 - 1:40pm / Post ID: #

Name: George

Title: Murder in Tobago

Comments: With the report of another murder in Tobago occurring so soon after another the police ought to start searching for someone from Trinidad who has taken up residence there or is in the habit of visiting Tobago regularly. Normally as the record would show Tobagonians are not in the business of killing their own kind. Anyway such murders are extremely rare on that island.
Post Date: Sun Feb 26, 2017 - 14:36:43 GMT / Post ID: #

History
We interrupt Tobago Crime to share a message from the good old days:
HistoricToday is: 26th February (GMT), in history on the 26th of February, 1919 AD the following birth happened:
Mason Adams: NYC, New York -- Actor (Charlie Hume-Lou Grant, Deadliest Season)
+  1 2 3 
Sponsored Links:

If you have input into "Tobago Crime" do not be shy, give your input
Options Fast Reply Add Reply Add Poll

No Registration Required!

We welcome input from visitors:
Add Comment As A Guest
, please check your Spelling / Grammar before replying.
Thank you for helping us keep International Discussions Constructive.

Enable Smilies  Enable Signature

Tip TIP: Press above button ONCE only. If you come back here via the [Back] button on your browser then you will need to click [More Options] button (below) first in order to re-enable your ability to Post.

> TOPIC: Tobago Crime

Reader please Share & "LIKE" us:
All "Like" options open on a new page.

Donate Compare Membership
International Discussions Coded by: BGID® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2017
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits

T&T Latest

Current Trinidad & Tobago related Discussion from our Community:

Highlights

Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago: The way our women are harassed is deplorable, there is no respect for women in T&T! By JoePublic 2.1 Days Ago
Trinidad & Tobago's Crime Problem: Open Discussion on the crime situation in T&T By JoePublic 2.7 Days Ago
Terrorism In Trinidad & Tobago: Are groups like ISIS and Al Qaeda working in T&T? By JB 4.1 Days Ago
Trinidad State Of Emergency In Crime Hot Spots: What are your thoughts on this T&T related subject? By JoePublic 4th Feb, 2017 - 2:14pm
Kidnappings in Trinidad: At one time kidnappings for ransom happened almost daily. Its not the case anymore, why? By News 26th Jan, 2017 - 11:32am
Why Is Trinidad Considered A Third World Country?: What are your thoughts on this T&T related subject? By JoePublic 21st Jan, 2017 - 8:56pm
Violent Crime In Trinidad & Tobago: What are your thoughts on this T&T related subject? By JoePublic 6th Dec, 2016 - 4:04pm
Wearing Camouflage Colors In Trinidad & Tobago: What are your thoughts on this T&T related subject? By RayTT 17th Oct, 2016 - 2:29pm
Trinidad & Tobago Taxation - Tax - Taxes: What are your thoughts on this T&T related subject? By JoePublic 1st Oct, 2016 - 11:25am
How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live?: What are your thoughts on this T&T related subject? By JB 22nd Sep, 2016 - 6:24pm
Trinidad & Tobago Inflation At 10%: Do Trinis understand economics or they do not care? By JB 22nd Sep, 2016 - 6:21pm
Mental Health In Trinidad: What are your thoughts on this T&T related subject? By Felipe 28th Aug, 2016 - 2:17pm
Human Trafficking In Trinidad?: Human trafficking in T&T is more prevalent that we may know. By JoePublic 29th Jul, 2016 - 12:26pm