The Green Lantern

The Green Lantern - Comic / Anime PBP RPGs, Reviews - Posted: 3rd Jan, 2006 - 8:55am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Comic Hero with a ring that eminates power
Post Date: 5th Apr, 2004 - 4:52am / Post ID: #

The Green Lantern

Green Lantern was a comic book character revived by DC Comics in 1958. The original version had been Alan Scott, whose magical power ring enabled him to fly, pass through walls, and perform various other feats. Scott's comic book was canceled around 1950 when super-heroes suffered a big drop in popularity.

Ref. https://homepage.mac.com/joebergeron/gl.html

Of all the comic heroes that had a similar theme... the Green Lantern had a lot of heroes that cam in all kinds of shapes and sizes. This may have slowed the popularity of the hero to others that were more 'available' or 'familiar', what are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 18th Jul, 2004 - 9:57am / Post ID: #

The Green Lantern
A Friend

Lantern Green The

I see this post was from a while ago, but still:

I was introduced to Green Lantern by my father when I was ten or 11. The comic appealed to me because of the hero's lack of supernatural birth. He wasn't a superhero inherently, rather he was selected due to his virtue. Anyway, that appealed to me a lot and I started reading around the time that Kyle Rayner took over the mantle.

As far as availability and popularity, Marz's GL was a pretty popular dude, but he didn't quite have the name recognition/movie deals/cartoon shows/cereals that other heroes like Superman, Batman, and Spiderman had. In the era that I was a faithful reader, at least, our hero had problems managing a girlfriend and paying his rent on time with saving the world. I loved the comic, though. Any further thoughts on the subject? Who was your favorite GL between Scott, Jordan, and Rayner?

Cheers,
-Agent

19th Jul, 2004 - 2:06am / Post ID: #

The Green Lantern Reviews & RPGs PBP Anime / Comic

I always liked Green Lantern, but never cared for the variants (those that were aliens from other planets. I thought the power of the ring was a bit over board too.

Offtopic but,
There is talk of a movie out of it: Click Here

Post Date: 19th Feb, 2005 - 10:12pm / Post ID: #

The Green Lantern
A Friend

Lantern Green The

I think that there is no THE green lantern, but its an organisation that distributes the lantern power to one person in every world.

Post Date: 20th Feb, 2005 - 1:25am / Post ID: #

The Green Lantern
A Friend

Lantern Green The

The Green Lantern Is a lot better then most of the newer super heroes that are on Justus League Unlimited. His powers are also unique and original unlike super strength which 99% of all super heroes have.

Post Date: 20th Feb, 2005 - 1:42am / Post ID: #

The Green Lantern
A Friend

The Green Lantern

Green Lantern started as one person, then evolved into an organization of people in which on person from each world or more was chosen to carry the mantle. I like the idea that each hero was chosen because of his outstanding virtue and was subject to have the ring taken away if he failed to uphold the integrity of the position.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 22nd Feb, 2005 - 10:41pm / Post ID: #

The Green Lantern
A Friend

The Green Lantern

thats what a true hero is about, not just super strength and abilities. Green Lantern is probably the only super hero that has to fulfill his responsiblity, or else he would be courted, a nice lesson for the young children.

Post Date: 3rd Jan, 2006 - 8:55am / Post ID: #

The Green Lantern
A Friend

The Green Lantern Comic / Anime PBP RPGs & Reviews

I have to disagree slightly with some previous comments on this thread. The Green Lantern comic, and the Green lantern Corps. was always a large scale group. The origin of Hal Jordan, the Silver Age Green lantern, showed within the first 3 issues that he was an agent of the Guardians from Oa, and that he was the new Green Lantern for Sector 2814. The Guardians established very early in the book that they divided the entire universe into 3600 sectors. Each sector had a Green Lantern whose job and responsibility it was to watch over not only their home planet but the other planets within their sector....and...if called to an emergency, to aid any other Green Lantern with their problems. Basically, the Green Lantern Corps is a universe spanning police force, working to fight evil and injustice with an eye on the larger picture, rather than just working on small scale problems ( cat stuck in a tree or a purse snatching on Elm Street ).

So yes, Green Lantern Rocks! I love the characterisations of Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Kilowog, Katma Tui, and the gang. I think Kyle Raynor is a great GL for the new millenium as well. Guy Gardner is a bit of a shmuck, but they did make him memorable by having him that way. I do think that the variety in the Green Lantern books subdues some of the enthusiasm for a single GL, therefore diminishing some of the bulk of popularity for the character itself, but its still a VERY likeable comic and cast of heros. The background story has changed slightly through the years I have noticed. The little blue Guardians now count two females among their ranks...something that was missing for about 30 years of the comics history. The current return of Hal Jordan not only to life but to the Green Lantern Corps was something I applauded, even though I had to grimace about the explanation for it. I had a hard time keeping up with his death, his....ghostly hanging on, then his elevation to status as the new 'Spectre'. then his return to life...etc. But as much as I usually hate the proverbial "no hero dies forever" routine that the comics industry employs for any character that will rack in a few more sales, I am willing to play dumb and not think too much about this one. Hal Jordan is back...I can rest easy at night again.....*chuckle* Green Lantern has strength of will..... he won't give up ( unless he goes insane for a relatively short period of time ), he has a cool costume, nice gadgets at a whim, and a cool oath to boot. The ring is just a sidearm, albeit a really cool, earth-moving sort of sidearm....*grin*

As for Green Lanterns weapon being too powerful... Yes..it really can be, but it's appropriate for the sort of Larger-than-life Galaxy Spanning Interplanetary adventures that should be the bread and butter of a Green Lantern. The trouble with that concept is that if you left a Green Lantern only handling the ...cosmic events, the readers would soon stop buying a book that featured a hero doing nothing but smashing killer asteroids, or shielding planets from a gargantuan solar flare, etc. People like to read stories of individuals clashing, of a man ( or alien) or a small group going up against staggering odds to win for all the little guys that may not even know they were in danger.

Now G'Nort...well...I wouldn't mind if he disappeared for good.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: The Green Lantern

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,