Ak-47 Or M-16?

Ak-47 M-16 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 25th Jun, 2008 - 10:01am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Ak-47 Or M-16? Related Information to Ak-47 Or M-16?
Post Date: 17th May, 2004 - 2:45pm / Post ID: #

Ak-47 Or M-16?

I have been instructed by the Architect to post this:

Which one do you think is the better gun (rifle)?

The AK-47:

AK-74 Assault rifle
Developed: 1974
Caliber: 5.45mm
Cartridge: 5.45x39
Magazine capacity: 30
Loaded weight: 3,600g
Killing range: 1,350m
Ref. https://kalashnikov.guns.ru/

Or

The M-16:

Developed: 1969
Caliber: 5.56 mm
Weight: 8.8 lbs (includes sling & one loaded magazine)
Range: 800 meters for an area target / 550 meters for a point target
Ref. https://www.army.mil/fact_files_site/m16/

Message Edited!
JB@Trinidad: changed to 'rifle' according to G.I. Jane wink.gif

Sponsored Links:
17th May, 2004 - 4:38pm / Post ID: #

M- Ak-

In the Marine Corps we are taught these aren't guns, they are rifles laugh.gif:-->laugh.gif Sort of like a boat and ship.

Anyway, I have only fired the M-16 so I can't say which is better. I do know the M-16 is lightweight, no kick to speak of, and very accurate. Marines must qualify from as far back as 500 yards and they must do so accurately. I believe the other branches of US Military don't qualify from as far back.

However, the M-16 must be kept very clean or they are prone to jamming. This was a big problem in Viet Nam. I don't think this has been an issue for the AK-47.

I can't tell from the specs what the AK-47 weighs compared to the M-16 because the weight of one is in pounds and the other in g and I have no idea how to convert from one to the other.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 17th May, 2004 - 4:39pm

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

17th May, 2004 - 4:56pm / Post ID: #

Ak-47 Or M-16? History & Civil Business Politics

1kg = 1,000g

Therefore: 3,600g = 3.6kg

1pound = 2.2kg

3.6kg = 7.92 pounds

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3208 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

17th May, 2004 - 5:00pm / Post ID: #

M- Ak-

Well, then it would seem the AK-47 is better in the weight catagory. I would want to know just how accurate it really is. In the Army and Air Force I don't think accuracy is as important except for the "special forces." The general population is taught to point in the direction of the enemy and fire. In the Marine Corps we are taught to pick a target and fire not just in the direction of the enemy so accuracy is more important. This difference is necessary because of the difference in mission. General Marine Corps troops are often isolated and must conserve their ammunition.

I think I have heard that special forces in the Marine Corps and Army prefer the AK-47, but I am not sure of that.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Post Date: 7th Jun, 2008 - 6:59am / Post ID: #

M- Ak-

Name: Panzer

Comments: The Army is told to use suppressive fire, the three A's of modern combat (air, artillery, and armor). As far as I'm concerned, I would pick an AK-47 since a) the M-16's accuracy doesn't mean as much as bullet power and penetration at close range, cool.gif the AKM is very cheap to make (along with the ammo).

Post Date: 7th Jun, 2008 - 1:32pm / Post ID: #

Ak-47 Or M-16?
A Friend

Ak-47 Or M-16?

I would take the M16 over the AK 47 any day. The Ak is not a very accurate weapon. I take pride in my accuracy with a M16 I was very accurate. I have fired the AK 47 and did not like it. It was hard to zero it in and make shots that were easy when using the M16 in my opinion.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th Jun, 2008 - 2:57am / Post ID: #

Ak-47 M-16

Name: Panzer

Comments: Long range and accuracy is not always important in modern warfare, where most combat takes place at very short range, much less 550 yards.

25th Jun, 2008 - 10:01am / Post ID: #

Ak-47 M-16 Politics Business Civil & History

It depends on the situation. They both have strong and weak points.

The AK-47 has more stopping power and extremely reliable, but is wildly inaccurate in full auto, has no burst fire option, and the bullets are heavier. Meaning you'd be carrying less other stuff due to the weight of the ammuntion. Ideal for limited and sporadic combat.

The M-16's ammunition is relatively light so you could carry a lot of ammo and still have room for other stuff, can be accurate in full auto, and later models have a three shot burst option for conserving ammo. On the down side it has little stopping power and is a very finicky rifle. Ideal for sustained combat, precision shooting, and cleaning obsessively.

Which is better, who knows. Depending who you are and what you're doing either rifle might do the job better.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 1 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.1%

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Ak-47 Or M-16?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,