Books Becoming Extinct?

Books Extinct - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 13th Oct, 2004 - 3:59am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 

?
Poll: Do you believe books will eventually be replaced by electronic media resources instead?
  Yes       23.81%
  No       76.19%
Total Votes: 21
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Post Date: 15th Aug, 2004 - 11:04pm / Post ID: #

Books Becoming Extinct?

Books almost seem like an archaic resource with all the information available through electronic media. Do you think eventually books will become obsolete?

Sponsored Links:
15th Aug, 2004 - 11:23pm / Post ID: #

Extinct Books

I dont know if books will become obsolete, but like you stated, they are and will be less and less used. I think there is still some educational value in using books in the classroom, and libraries are still good sources of information, but with the age of digital information, the need for books is diminishing. I remember as a kid longing for an encyclopedia set, but not getting one because they cost so much. Now you can get more than all those books combined on one DVD, with additions such as video and audio clips, for around $20 US.

16th Aug, 2004 - 1:23am / Post ID: #

Books Becoming Extinct? UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

I don't think books will ever become extinct. People love books and they are not going to get rid of them so easily because of technology. Personally, I love books...and even though it may be easier to just put a CD on the computer, you cannot compare the feeling of of touching the pages, the smell of an old book, to see the wrinckles and how much it was used, to read the dedication of your favorite author, etc.

16th Aug, 2004 - 2:03am / Post ID: #

Extinct Books

I believe there will always be a place for a book, but it will not be common. It will be something that just the 'old folk' use by the time we all hit our rocking chair.

Post Date: 30th Aug, 2004 - 7:12am / Post ID: #

Books Becoming Extinct?
A Friend

Extinct Books

Although book is a man-made tool, but I think like the animal in the planet, it has its life and evolution. Now in our life, the number of the paper books is down ,but at the same time, the number of the e-books is highly up. Some people may think e-books is not the book,but why? Name is only a call signal, if we think the reason of the existence of the book, we will find the book is still around us ,it only changes another clothes. When my grandma left me 4 years ago, at first I feel sad and can not accept it as a fact. As the time past, I find grandma is still in my life, her words is still in my mind, her thoughts has been teached in school, her love is still and will be forever in my heart. So now I am not sad, if you think the book is your freind and sad of losing it ,think my words, think!

30th Aug, 2004 - 8:00am / Post ID: #

Books Becoming Extinct?

As someone who has read a lot of ebooks, and published some too, let me tell you that they do not compare to print books!

No one is going to read anything but a short non-fiction (Or very short fiction) ebook. Larger digital books such as encylcopedias are not read but referenced of course and the ability of digital media to facilitate searches is great.

However, when it comes to long reading - whether it be novels or non-fiction study - no one wants to read on-line or in electronic format.

Ebooks have decreased in value much over the last few years; I know someone who set up a fiction-based ebook business - he is a good well-known marketer and author, and had a team of people with him. It failed.

Consider also that many books are bought when people browse shelves - but there are no shelves to browse in e-format. People usually go to Amazon for a specific title. They do not walk past (Say) the travel-book shelf and say "Ah, I could do with one of those too for my holiday.."

Nah, books are here to stay and are far more valuable than ebooks - the only real advantage of an ebook or on-line database is its searchability. I think this is how they will be used. Even if people do buy ebook format they will likely print it off to read large chunks!

Just my opinion wink.gif

Dubhdara.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 12th Oct, 2004 - 10:56pm / Post ID: #

Books Becoming Extinct?
A Friend

Books Extinct

I'm of the opinion that books are here to stay. While the net has offered a vast resource of information, it has also opened up an enormous pit of DISinformation. So, whether it be for searching for facts or reading for pleasure books are here to stay.

13th Oct, 2004 - 3:59am / Post ID: #

Books Extinct Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO

The problem I have with e-books is that I can't just curl up on the couch -- I have to be at the computer. I don't currently own a laptop or Palm/Blackberry thingy, and I doubt I will anytime soon. So it's just not an option. I usually like to read while I'm comfortable, and since I sit at a computer all day at work, I don't really want to be sitting at a computer all evening at home! I'd rather curl up on the sofa, or read for a few cozy minutes in bed before sleep.

Besides which, I love paper smile.gif

Roz.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Books Becoming Extinct?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,