Books Becoming Extinct? - Page 2 of 5

I also like to read in strange places. In - Page 2 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 25th Jan, 2006 - 3:18pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 

?
Poll: Do you believe books will eventually be replaced by electronic media resources instead?
  Yes       23.81%
  No       76.19%
Total Votes: 21
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Post Date: 13th Oct, 2004 - 6:17am / Post ID: #

Books Becoming Extinct?
A Friend

Books Becoming Extinct? - Page 2

Two ways I see this. One thing that could sway things is pricing. If an electronic version is cheaper, people would love that. However, some people I've talked to said they prefer something they can hold in their hands (they were talking about retail game buying compared to buying downloads, but that could still apply here). Then again, most older people don't even know how to turn on a computer (sadly true in some cases tongue.gif ), so I'm sure books will stay for a LONG time. Besides, you don't need electricity to read a book... unless it's dark out. wink.gif

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 13th Oct, 2004 - 10:54pm / Post ID: #

Books Becoming Extinct?
A Friend

Extinct Books

I like to read books, especially science fiction. I have just finished reading Chung Kuo by David Wingrove, a massive 8 volume epic and highly recommend it.

The biggest problem for me though is the increasing cost of books. They are getting quite expensive here of late. So as I'm on a limited budget most my reading is done online with forums, news and info relating to any research I may be doing at the time.

I don't think books will ever "disappear" because who could imagine a world without libraries?

Post Date: 15th Oct, 2004 - 5:07pm / Post ID: #

Books Becoming Extinct?
A Friend

Books Becoming Extinct? UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

With the rising cost of books, perhaps libraries will see more use in the foreseeable future.

26th Oct, 2004 - 12:08am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Extinct Books

There will be books. I don't think they'll be posted on the internet, if that's what you meant. But I do think the books will be electronic. Like a single screen with words on it that you tap once and then it turns to the next page. And it could be like an Mp3 only for books, that you can add more and more onto that single screen, and then choose them from a menu..

27th Oct, 2004 - 10:03pm / Post ID: #

Extinct Books

Books:

The written word is possibly the finest art that creativity has ever offered mankind. Words spill from the pages of books like a cool iced lemonade on a hot summer's day. We see written messages on advertisements, work memos, newspapers - and these are informative - but break open a fiction novel, or even a great autobiography and you can lose yourself from all that is around you.

Canterbury Tales lets you walk on leaf covered paths with friends that you could never have imagined or come to know if it had not been for a book.

Books are here to stay and will forever move people back to their imaginations.

24th Jan, 2006 - 10:50pm / Post ID: #

Books Becoming Extinct?

international QUOTE
perhaps libraries will see more use

My local newspaper just did an article on this a couple days ago. Library usage has increased over the last year. More people are checking out more books more often. I don't remember the exact figures, but readership has increased somewhere along the lines of 30,000 people over the last year. I think that while e-books are a novel idea, they will never replace the book. I remember all those touch and feel books I had when I was growing up, the picture of the dog had real fur you could touch. The picture of a cats tongue was sandpaper. Then there were pop-up books, pull the little tab and something happens. Then those books with little sound buttons on the side. When you see the picture you press the corresponding picture on the side, and it makes the appropriate sound. Sure you can reproduce all this with links, sound effects, and animations, but it just wouldn't be the same. I think without books humanity as a whole would lose something irreplaceable.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 25th Jan, 2006 - 1:09pm / Post ID: #

Books Becoming Extinct?
A Friend

Books Extinct - Page 2

international QUOTE

Farseer Said:
The problem I have with e-books is that I can't just curl up on the couch -- I have to be at the computer. 

I think this statement sums up my thoughts on this issue exactly. I read curled up on the couch, in front of the fireplace, in bed before sleep, and in the tub relaxing. None of these places are nearly as comfortable with a laptop, or even suggested with a laptop. A book is often times just more convenient. The reason we humans invest is for entertainment, comfort, or necessity. E-books present a certain amount of comfort if you are at the computer, but don't make it easier when just trying to read and relax. For that, I think books will continue to be a big part of our lives, even as e-books get bigger.

25th Jan, 2006 - 3:18pm / Post ID: #

Books Extinct Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 2

I also like to read in strange places. In the tub, on the toilet , in bed until I pass out and drop the book, while eating dinner. I am one of a few people who can read on road trips and not get car sick. Bathrooms and laptops just don't mix. I would hate to pass out on my laptop and drool all over it or drop it and watch it hit the ground and break. The laptop would be great in the car if my cigarette lighter worked. I don't smoke so I don't care to fix it. I'll just grab a real book. They don't have to be plugged in, nor do they get hot. I also hesitate to leave my laptop unattended in the car while in a store. What self respecting criminal would steal a book. While eating I tend to get condensation on my fingers from the glass, or grease from whatever meat I am eating, so I try to keep my fingers away from my laptop. Books are easier to clean. Unless you submerge your book or leave it outside in the rain, it'll dry out. It may be cheaper to download a book, but I don't care. I'll be reading real books until the day I die.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Books Becoming Extinct?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,