Homeschooling

Homeschooling - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 29th Aug, 2004 - 11:01pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
This is the general Thread - Country and State specific Homeschooling Topics are also available
Post Date: 25th Aug, 2004 - 12:34am / Post ID: #

Homeschooling
A Friend

Homeschooling

Homeschooling is where the children in a family are educated by their parents. They don't go to public school, nor do they learn lessons off the internet(Though homeschoolers use the internet alot for research).

Are you a homeschooler, or do you homeschool your kids? If not then is there anyone you know that homeschools? Do you think there is benefits from homeschool? What about things that you miss if your homeschooled? Please share your thoughts on the subject of homeschooling.

For me I've been a homeschooler all my life. Yes, starting from K and going all the way up to where I am now. Its been great, I love homeschool. I think its a great way to keep your children out of everything that goes on in public school, it keeps them from being taught subjects you don't agree with(For us its Evolution).

Sponsored Links:
25th Aug, 2004 - 12:47am / Post ID: #

Homeschooling

I have to say ShadowNinja that I have always been skeptical of homeschooling, but I think it has progressed a lot since I was in school. While there are benefits of public, or even private schools, such as interacting with other kids, learning to be independent of parents and others, I can see where a homeschooler (is that what they are called?) is protected and in a controlled environment, and that can be beneficial.
My problem with homeschooling is that no matter how much education material you go through, it is still the parent who is educating the child. I believe heavily in our school teachers in public and private schools, and I believe they complement the parents in the raising of the child. When we subtract them from the equation, we are left with just the parents, and to me, that presents a one-dimensional view of the world. I learned a lot from my teachers, in how to think and act, and I valued that very much in my education. Not to say that some parents can't be good teachers, but not all.
From what I can see ShadowNinja, my theory of home schooling may be wrong because you show great maturity and knowledge in your posts on the forum. On the other hand I know of one relative who home schools their kid, and he has some definite problems that I think would have been better addressed in a school environment. Anyway, I'll digress for now, and let others lend their perspectives. Great topic, by the way!

Post Date: 25th Aug, 2004 - 1:26am / Post ID: #

Homeschooling
A Friend

Homeschooling UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

malexander, Yes your points are all very good. Let me comment/answer some of them.

I agree that public school has alot more interaction with other kids. But, that lead can be slimmed down alot by a homeschooler. For our family, we belong to a homeschool group. Everyone in the group home schools their children, and they hold annual meetings to help each other out. This creates an interaction between the parents. Our home school group also has an 'Activity Day'. This is held on a Monthly basis through the winter. At Activity day the children involved will go to four classes. Flex, Art, Gym, and Music. All are tought by one person for the year exept Flex. I think Flex needs the most explaining so I'll explain it. Flex is a class where we learn about anything from sciance, to how to save and use our money wisely. Overall, I think acitivity day makes up for alot of what school gives you. And its tought by the parents of other homeschoolers.

As needing teachers, that can be somewhat helped by activity day, but also another thing I would bring into the equation here is people at Church, Sunday School teachers, Youth leaders, and even the pastor. All of these can help make up for the lack of public school teachers.

I also agree about your reletives child. Some homeschoolers are not blessed with what we have, and some kids ARE better off public schooled.

Sorry, I'm rambling on. I gotta let other people reply... wink.gif

26th Aug, 2004 - 1:19am / Post ID: #

Homeschooling

If I had the option of homeschooling, I would do it -- in a heartbeat! My sister homeschools her kids, and they are the most mature, responsible, well-rounded, "grounded" kids I've ever met. A lot of the teaching happens from the kids themselves seeking knowledge by asking questions and research. Even before one of my nephews could read real well, he could tell you what species of lizard that was basking on the fence.
My niece taught herself to speak, read, and write Spanish and Chinese -- has even won awards for her work and now, at 20 years old, she is working in the courts translating. She has translated for a local radio station, and is now making a musical CD in Spanish from songs which she wrote the words and the music. The two boys are mostly running their 5-acre farm, raising cattle for market, organic and hormone-free produce, eggs, and beef, and using the money to re-invest in the business (after they pay themselves). The youngest girl is leaning toward interior design and possible chef. She's 10.

How many public school kids can even come close?

I do not like public school at all, and I could go on and on about my reasons; but that's a different topic.

Roz

26th Aug, 2004 - 1:38am / Post ID: #

Homeschooling

A girl I work with is homeschooled and I hear from her that she wishes she was in a regular school. She does attend some school functions, but she says she is always made to feel like an outcast by the other kids. This will be her senior year and she is talking that she doesn't want to go to graduation with the other kids because they look down on her so much. She is a smart, sweet girl who I think will have problems because she doesn't know how to react to rejection. I have seen it in her work, she will get upset when a customer is a bit curt with her and she takes it very personnally. Now this might just be a problem with her and not homeschooling, but I do wonder how they learn to cope with the very things the parents are trying to protect them from. You can't cacoon a child from the bad things in life you can only teach them how to cope with them. This is only my opinion and maybe I'd feel different if I had children, I don't know.

Post Date: 26th Aug, 2004 - 1:02pm / Post ID: #

Homeschooling
A Friend

Homeschooling

ReneeisXena, You see, in home school the parents should teach their children how to cope with the things they don't want them exposed to. Its exactly what my parents are doing, and what all parents who home school should do.
Good point though. smile.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Aug, 2004 - 9:18pm / Post ID: #

Homeschooling

Sometimes, in my opinion (and I have many of them!), we fail (due to social conditioning) to see that schools are nothing more (and nothing less) than extensions of the family responsibility.

Parents are teachers, and nurses, and doctors, and everything! Why? Because all else in society is but a delegation of basic authority to act in behalf of the family. And this is why I am personally opposed to state education: the teachers are not delegates of the parents but are appointed, trained and paid by the state. This means the parents lose control over what their child is taught and how it is taught.

I believe homeschooling or fully private local schools (with teachers appointed by and paid by the parents) are the right way to go.

I've heard of some very talented and advanced young people among those who are homeschooled. Meanwhile the state educated seem to become more dumbed down as each year passes...

Just my opinion of course wink.gif

Dubhdara.

29th Aug, 2004 - 11:01pm / Post ID: #

Homeschooling Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO

QUOTE (ShadowNinja @ 26-Aug 04, 8:02 AM)
ReneeisXena, You see, in home school the parents should teach their children how to cope with the things they don't want them exposed to. Its exactly what my parents are doing, and what all parents who home school should do.
Good point though. smile.gif

You are lucky to have such good parents. smile.gif My friend, who I'll call Marcy, has told me that when she marrys and has children she will not home school them. She has never gone to a regular school and it's basically because her older brother got into trouble with the RPG Dungeons and Dragons. He apparently got so into the game that he couldn't judge real from fantasy. Marcy's parents were worried that he might hurt himself and felt the only way to protect him was to remove him from the school environment. When Marcy was school age she was home schooled from the beginning. Marcy also wants to have a career and doesn't feel she could if she home schooled her children. I must admit home schooling has always intrigued me. How are the parents trained to teach their child? What is done if both parents must work? I can see that a child would get a much deeper education because the work would be at that child's pace and not the pace of a classroom. This topic really fascinates me I hope no one minds that I ask so many questions?

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Homeschooling

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,