Cold Turkey

Cold Turkey - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 4th Oct, 2004 - 1:53am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Getting off drugs
Post Date: 2nd Oct, 2004 - 12:44am / Post ID: #

Cold Turkey

If someone is trying to go 'Cold Turkey' to get off drugs, what can you do to help them if there are no hospitals around? This may be important to know since you may be trapped in an uncanny situation with a user of drugs. The concept of 'Cold Turkey' refers to immediately stopping all drug use rather than a gradual process.

This site gives information with regards to heroine abuse:
Ref. https://www.drugs-info.co.uk/drugpages/heroin/heroin.htm

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 3rd Oct, 2004 - 12:46am / Post ID: #

Cold Turkey
A Friend

Turkey Cold

Having been clean and sober for over 9 years now, I've had more than a little non-medical facility detox experience in working with others. Disclaimer: I am not a certified health professional, only a grateful recovering alkie/junkie with experience in this area.

Each situation is different depending on the general health of the addict, the drug(s) active in his/her system, the place where this is occurring and more. The most
important points during any detox are to: 1) keep a calm, level head, 2) be objective
(don't take any nastiness from the addict personally), 3) be prepared for a rough
ride for 24-72 hours minimum, and 4) if possible, have at least one other competent
adult for assistance.

General supplies to have around should include, but not be limited to:

B complex vitamins (these help with detox stress). Cheerios are a great source if that's all that's available.

Honey, especially for heroin addicts and alcoholics. Give in teaspoon ammounts as
tolerated/needed for regulation of blood glucose levels.

Crackers, dry cereal, oatmeal, broth/boullion, gelatin, mild soup, and other foods one would consume when ill. Start with dry crackers and plenty of fluids, working up gradually as tolerated.

Ginger ale, for nausea.

Fluids: water (of course), sport drinks, clear sodas and juices. Best to avoid citrus during this time even though the vitamin C is helpful. The acids in citrus can wreak havoc on the stomach.

Anti-diarrheal preparation. Note: if diarrhea is present, push the fluid intake to avoid dehydration.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol type pain relief) Note: try to give the smallest dosage, and if at all possible, wait until the subject has been able to keep down some food.

Aspirin (follow suggestions above) Note: should be avoided for those with ulcers,
vomiting blood, bloody stools. Do give one tablet if chest pains arise, not to exceed
recommended dosage.

First aid kit. This is a no-brainer.

Gauze-wrapped tongue depressor, pen, or other long, slender object. Seizures are a
possibility, during which there is often an uncontrollable tongue-swallowing reflex.

Latex gloves, if available, for contact with bodily fluids, cleaning up messes, etc. Frequent hand washing recommened.

Bleach and/or antibacterial cleansers.

Plenty of towels, wash cloths, blankets and spare clothes for not only them, but you.

Environment:

Ideally, this should be carried out in a private residence with at least one other adult for assistance. If children are present and relocating them isn't an option, they should be kept occupied with age-appropriate activities for diversion in a separate area of the residence. This is one department where another capable adult is much needed, especially if the children are very young. Older siblings are encouraged to help entertain younger ones.

The adults can switch off between the detox, child care, and rest periods.

If the bathroom (easiest room to clean) is large enough, the first several hours are
best spent with the addict in there, well supervised. Remove any medications and sharps to another room for the duration. Be sure to check the toilet tank, sink cabinet, clothes hamper, and any other storage area for hidden drugs/alcohol, but be careful of hazzards while doing so.

If the bathroom isn't a viable option, use a suitable nearby room. If there are children in the home, a bedroom with the door closed would be preferable. Again, constant supervision of the addict is vital. As he/she rests, don't be shy about hunting for hidden stashes of drugs, alcohol, paraphernalia and weapons. Gather any such items found and store securely until they can be safely disposed of off the property.

Make sure to have a small trash pail, bucket, pot, large bowl, or another appropriate receptacle ready for when the addict's need to vomit occurs. Keep another bowl handy with cool water and a few washcloths for when he/she gets the sweats. If this isn't enough relief, take him/her to the bathroom for a cool bath or shower (expect to get wet). Pile on the blankets when he/she gets the chills. Don't bother fooling much with the air conditioner or heat- this will only make you uncomfortable in the long run.

The addict will go through various emotional stages during this ordeal as well. He/she may exhibit any of the following: cursing and/or verbal assaults/threats (you will be the immediate target- don't respond or try to reason, just ride it out), remorse, feeling suicidal (when this phase happens, don't leave him/her unattended- period!)... Best advice is to follow his/her lead. Don't preach, lecture, condescend, etc. It would be wasted energy anyway. If the addict starts speaking of a Higher Power, offer to pray with him/her in the manner they choose. If prayer is not desired, simply drop the matter.

These are just some basic Home Detox 101 suggestions. One thing that can't be stressed enough is the period immediately following the detox. As soon as the addict is physically capable, and if he/she is willing, get them to the nearest AA/NA or other 12-step fellowship meeting.

Reconcile Edited: fugitive247 on 3rd Oct, 2004 - 12:53am

3rd Oct, 2004 - 1:24am / Post ID: #

Cold Turkey Health & Special Psychology

That is good information. What about if the person:

1. Seems like they are having convulsions
2. Becoming very agressive
3. Does not want to eat or drink at all - do you force it?

3rd Oct, 2004 - 1:31am / Post ID: #

Turkey Cold

Fugi, you are a brave and caring soul!

I've not had this experience, but have in the aftermath been a friend and supporter to those in the rehab process. Currently, as a matter of fact.

There is a period of depression and a feeling of uselessness afterwards that is is really difficult to overcome, as I've seen. That's got to be one of the hardest phases! How do you convince them, honestly, of their value as a soul and your friend, other than to be there for them and speak only truth.

It takes great courage to overcome such strong addictions.

Roz

Post Date: 4th Oct, 2004 - 1:53am / Post ID: #

Cold Turkey
A Friend

Turkey Cold

What about if the person:

1. Seems like they are having convulsions
2. Becoming very agressive
3. Does not want to eat or drink at all - do you force it?

1) If the person appears to be having a seizure, first make sure he/she is lying down in an area where they will not accidentally bang their head, or otherwise hurt themselves in the throes of convulsions. Next, grab a long, slender object to place in his/her mouth to press down on the tongue to prevent involuntary swallowing. Ideally this tool would be a gauze-wrapped tongue depressor, but a pen or the end of a mixing spoon would work in a pinch. Avoid using pencils as they can be bitten in half, thus creating even more problems. Don't put fingers in the person's mouth lest you accidentally be bitten.

2) This all depends on several factors: What's causing this? Is the lighting too bright? Is there too much, or upsetting noise/images/discussion? Are they sufferring halucinations? Is there any way to "talk them down"? Are there enough strong adults to help physically restrain the individual? In a worst-case scenario can the police be called? While assisting a non-medical detox is important, self-preservation (and the welfare of any children in the residence) must be the foremost priority.

3) The average healthy human adult can go many days without nourishment, but we're talking about folks who, more often than not, are not in the best physical condition (understatement). This has to be handled on a case-by-case basis. Regardless of actual eating, the biggest concern is preventing dehydration, especially if the addict has diarrhea and/or excessive vomiting. In that case, push clear fluids starting with water and work your way up. Sports drinks are quite beneficial for both their electrolytes and caloric content. Avoid caffiene for a while. Hopefully, once some of the initial hell of the detox has passed, food will be accepted. If not, medical intervention may be required if a serious decline in strength occurs.

How do you convince them, honestly, of their value as a soul and your friend, other than to be there for them and speak only truth?

The best way I can put it is to relate my personal experience. It wasn't detox related, but valid nonetheless. I was perhaps 4 months clean and sober at the time. The booze and dope were working themselves out of my system, leaving me to the horrors of unmedicated Bipolar disorder and PTSD. I was truly at an emotional, physical and spiritual bottom, and seriously contemplating suicide. I just couldn't take it any more, period.

My beloved, recovered (passed on clean & sober w/ 20+ years of helping others battle this disease) AA sponsor issued to me a life sentence. Tommy (yes, this is who my oldest son is named after) looked me square in the eyes and said, "Chris, you've got [b]NO BUSINESS robbing God of a servant!"

Part of my grateful servitude today is to pass this truth on to others. We are all servants of our respective Higher Power. Every life shared for the betterment of our brothers and sisters is a Blessed existence. There are no small deeds, no small people in the Divine Plan. Please pass this message on far and wide. grouphug.gif

Offtopic but,
Hey, I just noticed my age is listed as 38.2? My 39th b-day was just last week and my age had reflected that for about 2 weeks prior. **scratching head**

Reconcile Edited: fugitive247 on 4th Oct, 2004 - 2:02am

> TOPIC: Cold Turkey

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,