How You View Posts

How View Posts - Community News, FAQ, Feedback - Posted: 7th Nov, 2004 - 9:38pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Do you see threads in each board as
Post Date: 1st Nov, 2004 - 7:08pm / Post ID: #

How You View Posts

How do you view posts within this community?

On many other forums posts made by members are usually considered 'old' after two weeks or more and you are often chastised for posting to them after no replies within that two week period. So, most moderators on other forums tend to lock these 'old' topics that are 'reactivated' periodically.

This does not exist on this forum, each thread is considered to be a constructive enhancement for knowledge or entertainment and they are seen as part of a database. Thus an old topic from 2 years ago may still be interesting today. To understand this concept fully members are encouraged to not look at only the first page of a board, but the 2nd, 3rd, etc. Each page of a board (where you see all the threads) shows 50+ threads of topics.

Some members tend to only analyze the latest topics or the first page of each board, we know this, because occasionally one of the bots or a user will post in an old page 2 or 3 thread and suddenly there is immense activity on it only because users now see it in the latest topics. What was your first view about posts here and how has it changed now that you are 'settled' in the community?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 6th Nov, 2004 - 8:58pm / Post ID: #

How You View Posts
A Friend

Posts View How

QUOTE (Persephone @ 1-Nov 04, 12:08 PM)
What was your first view about posts here and how has it changed now that you are 'settled' in the community?

Oh my gosh it is going to take me weeks to read everything!

It did too ~ because as I read, I also went to each poster's profile so that I could get some handle on what they were thinking, *where they were coming from*.

I mostly read the newer topics, I don't post near as often as I used to ~ but my lifestyle has changed and I don't have near the free time as I did. When there are few posts and I have more time, like today~ then I go to the older posts. Today I went to the unanswered posts and took a look at what interested me.

6th Nov, 2004 - 10:58pm / Post ID: #

How You View Posts Feedback & FAQ News Community

Well, I think the big difference between this community and others is that we do not care how long a thread have been in the forum because our community is a source of information, therefore, all the information is important and useful, regardless of how long it has been here.

7th Nov, 2004 - 4:59pm / Post ID: #

Posts View How

I enjoy the fact that the forum acts like a large database of information, because it makes it easier for those of us who werent here at day 1 to go back and read through discussions that started before we joined. It never fails to amaze me how many new topics I find hidden once I start exploring different sections. It is not uncommon for me sometimes to come to the board and spend most of my time reading through older discussions, and not post a lot, so it makes a look like a peeper instead of a poster, for that day. This is a concept that I think a lot of other forums miss.

7th Nov, 2004 - 5:33pm / Post ID: #

Posts View How

Being new to this forum, I find that I go by topic when deciding which one I will read and reply to. The date of the last posting does not matter, and for that I am grateful, for many topics I have no experience or connection to, and therefore have more options with the old topics being available.

7th Nov, 2004 - 7:31pm / Post ID: #

How You View Posts

QUOTE (Narrock @ 7-Nov 04, 2:33 PM)
Being new to this forum, I find that I go by topic when deciding which one I will read and reply to. The date of the last posting does not matter, and for that I am grateful, for many topics I have no experience or connection to, and therefore have more options with the old topics being available.

Exactly the same. I think it's very useful to have so many topics created and never being old. But, I think there should still be such a feature that locks certain old threads that do not have to do with the current situation. For example, the thread of 'Who will be the next U.S president?' should be locked, unless we want to use it for the 2008 election wink.gif

Reconcile Edited: Smudge on 7th Nov, 2004 - 7:33pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th Nov, 2004 - 9:32pm / Post ID: #

How View Posts

For example, the thread of 'Who will be the next U.S president?' should be locked, unless we want to use it for the 2008 election

I think you will find that that particular topic is closed and locked.

The hardest thing that I have with such a large database of messages is that I most likely end up repeating myself over and over in certain subjects.

7th Nov, 2004 - 9:38pm / Post ID: #

How View Posts Community News FAQ & Feedback

Smudge: For example, the thread of 'Who will be the next U.S president?' should be locked, unless we want to use it for the 2008 election

That was locked a couple of days ago spock.gif We also started a new one about what Bush will do next so the trend of the conversation would continue now that we know who the President is for the next 4 years.

Malexander:  It never fails to amaze me how many new topics I find hidden once I start exploring different sections.

That is very true and I think it is the purpose of Persephone's investigation.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: How You View Posts

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,