Defining Religion

Defining Religion - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 16th Dec, 2004 - 10:29pm

Register Login Text RPG Play Text RPG ?     New: 8 51 99 Why Join Help Register/Login via:Register/Login via:
Welcome Guest

Post Date: 1st Nov, 2004 - 10:04pm / Post ID: #

Member Watchful Eye
[?] CPosts: 719
Avg: 0.3 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 6.8%
[+] Gain: 200.00 FP
Charm: 52

Defining Religion

How would you define religion? Does it have to involve gods and worship, or is it just a system of beliefs one follows?

Post Date: 3rd Nov, 2004 - 8:52pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect
[?] CPosts: 36,881
Avg: 8.5 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 2,971.33 FP
Charm: 325

Religion Defining

For me it is very simple, anything seen as a person's inherent belief system which governs their actions can be seen as a religion.

Post Date: 16th Dec, 2004 - 4:36pm / Post ID: #

Diamond + G.I. Jane
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 3,057
Avg: 0.8 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 21.7%
Charm: 182

Defining Religion Beliefs Religious General

Well, to me, religion must involve faith of some kind. So, I think it must involve a God of some sort. I think I can have a set of morals that I choose to follow that defines how I live my life, but unless that also includes a belief in some unseen power which requires faith, I don't see it as a religion.

Post Date: 16th Dec, 2004 - 7:54pm / Post ID: #

Member Seasoned
[?] CPosts: 315
Avg: 0.1 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 1.7%
Charm: 30

Religion Defining

I think it would go some way towards the right direction if - as far as society is concerned - religion was defined simply as a system of belief. In this way one philosophy, classed as secular, would not be seen as fairer or more neutral than a theistic belief.
I believe this is what the word means in the phrase "freedom of religion" - freedom of everyone to believe what they will (theistic or atheistic) and to worship/act out that belief so long as it does not violate the rights of others.

of course, from a personal point of view, religion is much more than that. But it is *that* too.

Dubhdara.

Post Date: 16th Dec, 2004 - 10:29pm / Post ID: #

Member + Veteran
[?] CPosts: 433
Avg: 0.1 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 2.5%
Charm: 82

Religion Defining

In keeping with the last post, I propose that atheism qualifies as a religion, and thus should not be favored by the government over other religions.

I am not so much concerned about the people who personally question or disbelieve the existence of a Supreme Being as I am about those who so zealously oppose any form of religious expression that they interfere with the religious freedom of the people. Such atheists and agnostics, although staunchly opposed to religion, religiously preach their bizarre agenda of intolerance. They worship themselves - "It's about MY rights in MY public places, and how dare you tell ME anything about a God?"

Sorry for the rant.

Religion is the overriding set of principles in one's public and private life. I may call myself a Christian, but if I decide to work on Sunday because it pays more, rather than worshipping God, I make wealth my religion, my highest personal priority.

Guest please SHARE: "Defining Religion" on:

Sponsored Links:

If Defining Religion is not what you are looking for then you may wish to Start A NEW Topic.
Options Fast Reply Add Reply Add Poll

No Registration Required!

We welcome input from visitors:
Add Comment As A Guest
Guest, please be considerate by using the appropriate tags as well as checking your grammar before submitting or it will be deleted. See: Constructive Posting Policy.

Enable Smilies  Enable Signature

Tip TIP: Press above button ONCE only. If you come back here via the [Back] button on your browser then you will need to click [More Options] button (below) first in order to re-enable your ability to Post.

> TOPIC: Defining Religion

Share:

Like:

Donate Compare Membership
International Discussions Coded by: BGID® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2017
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits

Country (State) of the Day

East Timor

Country of the day East Timor

Unanswered Threads for East Timor, which is the Country or State of the Day! Bonus FP & Charm for these Topics. See Here. Updated: Every hour.

Highlights

Ruler Of Kings 2 Text RPG General Discussion: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By Txtrpg 1.3 Day(s) Ago
Global Climate Change: Will the earth's climate change on her own or are we the ones sending it in a disastrous direction? By Abnninja 5 Days Ago
Melania Knauss-Trump: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By Abnninja 6.3 Days Ago
ISIS - ISIL: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By Abnninja 1 Week Ago
The Media: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By Abnninja 1 Week Ago
Directly Meeting With Aliens: In this Thread are other Threads that asks the question: "Where are the aliens?" By KNtoran 1 Week Ago
A Medieval Continue The Story RPG: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By Beowolf 7th Sep, 2017 - 8:32pm
Are People Born Gay Or Gay By Choice?: Is there a science behind why someone is / becomes homosexual? Is it neurological or biological? By Blessed 7th Sep, 2017 - 4:22pm
Ivanka Trump: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By William 7th Sep, 2017 - 2:46pm
Al Franken: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By Abnninja 16th Jul, 2017 - 4:21am