About Trinidad & Tobago

About Trinidad Tobago - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 4th Sep, 2008 - 1:30pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
What is this? Where is it? Who is it? Don't know about it? Check this thread to learn more!
About Trinidad & Tobago Related Information to About Trinidad & Tobago
Post Date: 1st Nov, 2004 - 11:34pm / Post ID: #

About Trinidad & Tobago

Trinidad and Tobago are the last islands South in the Caribbean. They are located eight miles off the East coast of Venezuela. It was formerly a British colony until their Independence in 1969. The population is made up of East Indians 45%, African 45%, Middle Eastern descendents 5% and the rest are White, Chinese, etc. 5%

The main religions are Catholic, Islam and Hinduism with holidays, temples, churches and celebrations being equally shared. The main economy base is Oil and Gas with the largest Methanol plant in the world being based in Trinidad. We also have the largest desalination plant in the World.

The country is currently seeking to have the largest Steel plant in the world. All this with a third world population that is hoping the government to keep its promise of first world nation status by the year 2020.

Most people know about Trinidad & Tobago because of its' Carnival, Calypso and Steel Bands - all of which was invented there.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 16th Dec, 2004 - 8:10pm / Post ID: #

About Trinidad & Tobago
A Friend

Tobago and Trinidad About

What kind of history does it have, or is that largely unknown?

16th Dec, 2004 - 8:38pm / Post ID: #

About Trinidad & Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

The history of the nation Trinidad and Tobago is well documented. The history of the island itself may not be as clear. It is widely believed that the island was once attached to the South American landmass, and broke off at one time due to platelet activity. As for the nation, it follows closely with the other islands in the Caribbean. Settled originally by Native tribes such as the Caribs and Arawaks, then the Europeans came and literally destroyed the natives unintentionally with their diseases. Went under British rule, gained its Independence, then became a Republic of its own as recently as 1976. That's the history in a nutshell.

16th Dec, 2004 - 8:42pm / Post ID: #

...is that largely unknown?

spock.gif Ummm... why would it be largely unknown? Its a group of islands but it does have recorded history.

Of course I am not going to detail her history here, but basically:

1. Columbus found us on his third voyage
2. Original inhabitants were Carib Indians (war-like not peaceful)
3. Spanish first to conquer, then British (French had a hand with Tobago)
4. Inhabitants are largely here because of Middle Passage and Indentured Servants
5. British colony up until 1962

Post Date: 16th Dec, 2004 - 9:42pm / Post ID: #

About Trinidad & Tobago
A Friend

I was asking if it was largely unknown, because invasions tend to wipe out history. The Indians of North America undoubtedly have a vast and rich history, but for the most part it is forgotten (i.e., largely unknown). It was in no way intended to be an insult to a people or person. Although I love learning about history, I am not as knowledgable in world history as I would like to be.

16th Dec, 2004 - 9:48pm / Post ID: #

About Trinidad & Tobago

I understand that, but that goes for any era really, each country has both recorded and unknown history for various periods. Just as the US is largely unknown before the pilgrims (save for the Book of Mormon) It seems that mostly invaders kept records as was custom in Europe to account to the Royal Courts that financed the journey. In Trinidad & Tobago you could say that Carib Indian history is largely unknown and in fact they are virtually extinct now save for the mixed blood races left behind (no pure blood).

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Aug, 2007 - 4:30pm / Post ID: #

About Trinidad & Tobago

An interesting point of view but he who wins has dared to give a different version of history, as is always the case. The Golden Rule is 'he who has the gold, makes the rules' and that was how Spain got to be Lo Mejor (The Best, at least in its time).
Gold from the Americas helped to finance expeditions and build Spain along with parts of Europe, with the slave industry.

Since I do not adhre to the concept of pure race, I do recognize that certain groups in isolation develop characteristics that make them unique!
I would use the construct of unique to describe the Basque people since their profile fits a founder effect that allowed for population drift in various countries through migratory patterns!
The English people may be seen as 'pure' but in reality their MtDNA and Y chromosome will reflect stages of development from Celtic>Jutes>Alani>Norman (actally Viking from France) with some Germanic influence, with a recent development showing a founding father of USA possessing a K2 haplogroup with origins in Africa! Is he still pure?

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: It is not necessary to quote the entire post of the user above you. See Constructive Posting Policy.

4th Sep, 2008 - 1:30pm / Post ID: #

About Trinidad & Tobago Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean

I keep seeing guests to the Board make this mistake, so I thought I would point it out here.

The name of the country is: Trinidad & Tobago

The name of the bigger island is: Trinidad

A person from Trinidad is: Trinidadian or Trini

Therefore you cannot say you went to "Trini", you have to say you went to Trinidad. In the plural you can say you have met some "Trinis" in "Trinidad".

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: About Trinidad & Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,