Boxing Day

Boxing Day - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 26th Dec, 2017 - 1:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

26th Dec, 2004 - 2:20am / Post ID: #

Boxing Day

Does your country have 'Boxing Day'? As far as I understand, and this is going off of memory... in England, the day after Christmas there would be so many boxes, bags and paper on the streets (from opening of gifts) for the rubbish men to collect that it would be necessary for everyone to stay home for them (the rubbish men) to clear the streets and clean up. Had it been a normal day then it would be impossible. In my country we have it and it is a welcome break. I could not imagine having to go back to a 9-5 job right after Christmas Day.

NOTE: I did not put this in the CHristmas board because it does not have anything really to do with Christmas itself.

Sponsored Links:
26th Dec, 2004 - 2:24am / Post ID: #

Day Boxing

I think Boxing Day is a very interesting holiday laugh.gif. Even though the excuse is to get rid of the boxes, it is just an excuse for Trinis to eat even more turkey and ham and visit relatives. biggrin.gif

1st Jan, 2004 - 10:02am / Post ID: #

Boxing Day Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Here's a fairly good article regarding the history of boxing day:

"...The holiday's roots can be traced to Britain, where Boxing Day is also known as St. Stephen's Day. Reduced to the simplest essence, its origins are found in a long-ago practice of giving cash or durable goods to those of the lower classes. Gifts among equals were exchanged on or before Christmas Day, but beneficences to those less fortunate were bestowed the day after..."

https://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/boxing.asp

1st Jan, 2004 - 4:01pm / Post ID: #

Day Boxing

I really miss Boxing Day, since it is not celebrated here in the US. I remember when I lived in Trinidad, my mom was always happy for having the 2 days off in a row during Christmas. Here in the US, we just go back to work unless you've taken vacation time. I believe Canada observes the holiday as well.

Post Date: 1st Feb, 2005 - 2:27am / Post ID: #

Boxing Day
A Friend

Day Boxing

In Seattle, "Boxing Day" is talked about on the radio and tv as we are up near British Columbia...I've been in London on Boxing Day with friends...heaps of food and visiting with friends....topping... biggrin.gif

Post Date: 28th Dec, 2009 - 5:33pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Boxing Day

'Record high' Boxing Day shopping

The number of people who went shopping on Boxing Day was at its highest since records began, it emerges. Ref. Source 9

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 26th Dec, 2017 - 1:12pm / Post ID: #

Boxing Day

What is Boxing Day and why that weird name? Back at work on the day after Christmas? Your Canadian neighbors likely won't be. Source 8w.

> TOPIC: Boxing Day

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,