New Zealand

New Zealand - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 14th Aug, 2007 - 11:57am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Reviews and Travel Info
31st Jan, 2005 - 11:18am / Post ID: #

New Zealand

I am going to New Zealand for a holiday. I have several things planned out, but was interested if anyone had some ideas that maybe I have not thought of. Anyone got some good suggestions on interesting things to do in New Zealand (history, physical acitivities, sight seeing...all good).

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 31st Jan, 2005 - 5:32pm / Post ID: #

New Zealand
A Friend

Zealand New

I have no suggestions but I always want to see that country. Actually I wanted to emigrate there but that is a different story. I felt in love with the country first time when a so a outdoor competition called "Eco challenge". Those mountains just expect me to explore them:)

Post Date: 31st Jan, 2005 - 5:43pm / Post ID: #

New Zealand
A Friend

New Zealand Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Hi Vincenzo. My husband (Snerd here on the forum) was over there for 2 years in New Zealand and I will tell him to respond to this thread later. It was one of the greatest experiences of his life. He can tell you a lot. I know he spent 6 months nearby on the Cook Islands, which is supposed to be one of the most beautiful places on earth, and he loved it there. He will probably post back later tonight.

Dawn smile.gif

Reconcile Edited: dawnofthenew on 31st Jan, 2005 - 5:44pm

Post Date: 27th Feb, 2006 - 3:17am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Zealand New

FLYING KIWIS CAN'T WAIT TO GET AWAY FROM IT ALL

New Zealanders are travelling more than ever and their taste for overseas trips is getting increasingly exotic, travel agents say.
Ref. https://www.stuff.co.nz/hlc/1,,93498~3582488a34~,00.html

IS GREED HURTING NZ TOURISM?

The tourism industry is facing a decline in visitor numbers. A slowdown in the world economy, higher oil prices, and the strong dollar are largely to blame, but are greed and over-pricing also playing a role? Matt Philp reports.
Ref. https://www.stuff.co.nz/hlc/1,,93498~3582139a34~,00.html

Post Date: 27th Feb, 2006 - 11:35am / Post ID: #

New Zealand
A Friend

Zealand New

As a NZ citizen, I guess I am relatively well qualified to answer our question. The entire tourism industry in our country is gear towards the clean green image, and then to the adventure tourism type.
Depending on what your preferences are I might suggest-
Leave Auckland as quickly as possible and make your way to the South Island, where the people are friendlier, the pace is more relaxed, and the scenery is picture perfect.

History in NZ - As we live in a relatively young country the history is generally related around Maori (native) culture. If your trip takes you to the west coast of the south island, you will find that history is what makes Shantytown what it is. Pancakes Rocks, is a strange volcanic landscape. Most towns and cities will have a heritage trail of some sort, and these will take you to places of interest. Maps for these trails are available at information centres around the country.

Physical Activities - Queenstown is the adventure capital of the world. If you go there you have access to the origianl bungy jump, the JetBoat rides on the Shotover river (highly recommended), white water rafting, Gondola rides, Luge run, tandem hang-gliding or paraponting, also in winter (June-September) you have access to the best ski-ing in the country at Coronet Peak, the remarkables, or Mt Hutt ski areas. The scenery of this area is world famous.

Sight Seeing - Basically if you get off your plane and look around, most of it is pretty fantastic. As I said earlier, make your way out of Auckland as quickly as possible, and you will see the real NZ. if you head north of Auckland, you will find golden beaches, and very relaxed lifestyles, if you head south of Auckland, you head into the Waikato, and Thermal Areas, were you can visit Rotorua, and Hamilton, Lake Tarawera, and the Desert Road (through the centre of the North Island), further South you get to Wellington (the Capital) and home of our government, very arty and a great museum, this is where you find Weta Studios, (LOTR and KingKong), and then for fun you jump on board the Interislander, (Ferry North to South Islands), and on a nice day, you get a great cruise through the Marlborough Sounds. (Beautiful on a good day, hair raising if too windy), then you get into the South Island where it's all good.

Nelson for Arts, Blenheim for wines, Kaikoura for Seafood, Christchurch for a taste of England, Timaru because it's halfway to everywhere, Mt Cook, Lake Tekapo, Wanaka, Queenstown, Dunedin, its all great.

Hope you have a great time here.

Post Date: 20th Mar, 2006 - 1:53am / Post ID: #

New Zealand

POLICE FED UP WITH SEARCHING FOR TRAMPERS

Police are fed up with tourists getting lost in New Zealand bush, prompting large-scale searches.
Ref. https://www.stuff.co.nz/hlc/1,,93498~3609413a34~,00.html

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 13th Nov, 2006 - 10:38pm / Post ID: #

New Zealand

TOURISM SOS AFTER ABDUCTION

New Zealand tourism bosses have sent an SOS to their offices around the world, worried a gunpoint abduction of a Dutch couple will damage the country's reputation.
Ref. https://www.stuff.co.nz/hlc/1,,93498~3859946a10~,00.html

14th Aug, 2007 - 11:57am / Post ID: #

New Zealand Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

Alrighty then.

First, read the information from Myinitials. The basics are sound.

One thing (and this is a bit parochial).... Hey! There's nothing wrong with Auckland!

Yeah, yeah... I live in Auckland, and this might be lesson number one for any first time visitor to these shores.... Aucklanders think of New Zealand as being... Auckland and everywhere else. Funny thing is, everyone who lives outside Auckland thinks exactly the same thing.

Thus, Aucklanders are called Jafas (Just a friendly Aucklander). .! You can substitute the "f" letter for another word.

I do agree, however, if you want to see the real New Zealand, get out of Auckland. Auckland is a lot like Seattle (from an American point of view), or Toronto (from a Canadian point of view). But, It's my city, I love it, and I especially like showing it off to visitors.

So, stuff Myinitials didn't say: New Zealand is about the same size as California area wise. What's truly amazing about this is you can travel anywhere, and within two hours, be in a completely different temperature zone, a completely different geographical zone, or a completely different socio-economic zone. My brother loved to say of New Zealand, "It's one of the few places where you can surf in the morning, snowboard in the afternoon, and still have time to catch a movie".

One recommendation I can't say enough about... Go blackwater rafting at Waitomo.

And a few hints:

Get to a beach on the East Coast.

Go to a small rural bar full of farmers, but leave your mouth at home.

Anywhere, drop the phrase, "I love rugby".

Not anywhere, drop the phrase, "You're just like an Australian".

And always remember... we drive on the left side of the road!

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: New Zealand

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,