Cheating In Sports

Cheating Sports - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 20th Apr, 2005 - 2:30pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

A criminal affair?
Post Date: 19th Apr, 2005 - 11:46pm / Post ID: #

Cheating In Sports

Do you think that cheating in official sporting games should be criminal/ized? Why or why not?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 20th Apr, 2005 - 12:43am / Post ID: #

Cheating In Sports
A Friend

Sports Cheating

No, I don't think that cheating in professional sports should be a crime. Each sport has its own rules and when a player violates those rules he is taking his career into his hands. Take this forum for example; this forum has rules and if I were to post contrary to those rules then my membership here might be suspended- same with professional sports. It seems enough to me that players can be suspended, fined, or banned without turning them into criminals as well. I am against letting the government into something that clearly lies in the public arena.
Up until now I have been considering cheating to mean taking performance enhancing drugs, but when I think about hockey or football I can see another form of cheating. This involves performing an illegal move that is likely to leave a player seriously injured. I am still inclined to say that even in these cases the player should not be criminalized, but I am much less sure of myself. Players sign up knowing that the sport is dangerous. Furthermore, a player that performs an illegal maneuver is likely to get punished by the league they are in- perhaps a small consolation to the injured player.
-Unferth

20th Apr, 2005 - 2:30pm / Post ID: #

Cheating In Sports History & Civil Business Politics

I do not think cheating in sports should be a crime. Only breaking the law should be a crime. So, taking illegal steroids is and should be a crime. Taking a legal steroid should not be a crime, but if a sport wants to ban it, then the players should still face discipline from the league within which they play.

I do think that a fight in a game should lead to criminal prosecution. It is illegal to hit or otherwise harm someone physically. I don't think it is o.k. to do this just because you are an athlete playing a game. Some sports are becoming more about the fight than the game and it shouldn't be that way. Boxing is an exception since boxing is fighting, but I don't think it is o.k. to fight in hockey, football, basketball or baseball, for example.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

> TOPIC: Cheating In Sports

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,