No Gay Sperm.

No Gay Sperm - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 6th Jul, 2005 - 11:18am

Register Login Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Add Reply Q
Post Date: 5th May, 2005 - 7:59pm / Post ID: #

Diamond + G.I. Jane
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 3,057
Avg: 0.8 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 19.8%
[+] Gain: 200.00 FP
Charm: 182

No Gay Sperm.

To the dismay of gay-rights activists, the Food and Drug Administration is about to implement new rules recommending that any man who has engaged in homosexual sex in the previous five years be barred from serving as an anonymous sperm donor.

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7749977/

The article mentions that this is being done because they pose a higher than average risk for having aids. Those opposed claim bigotry. They say certain behaviors are a risk whether it is homosexual or heterosexual and that is what should be screened.

What do you think?

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 5th May, 2005 - 10:26pm / Post ID: #

Diamond + Author
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 3,526
Avg: 0.7 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 18.6%
Charm: 225

Sperm Gay No

I agree that there are other behaviors that create risk, that should be screened, but homosexual behavior is the most risky, by far.

This shows, to me, how the issue of homosexuality and HIV have become such political hot potatoes. In the 1970's, someone proclaimed that any opposition to homosexuality was based on "homophobia", so that stance has become the normal response to any concerns about health problems as well as concerns about moral problems. The problem is that there are very valid health problems, such as the fact that within the US and other Western countries, the rate of HIV infections is incredibly higher among homosexuals than among the general population.

From the article, it certainly appears that the FDA is acting responsibly in its primary responsibility of protecting the public. If anything, I wonder if it isn't too lax in some other areas.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Post Date: 6th May, 2005 - 10:14am / Post ID: #

Member Senior
[?] CPosts: 824
Avg: 0.2 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 4.4%
Charm: 51

No Gay Sperm. History & Civil Business Politics

It's well know that HIV infection rate is considerably higher within the gay community so I can certainly understand any fears associated with gay people donating sperm.

However I believe that this really is a medical issue and if the screening methods used are 100% accurate then potential donors should not be discriminated against because of their sexuality.

Another issue I find amusing is gay marriage and why some states in the US and many other countries don't recognise it. I can't for the life of me understand why the State or Church should prevent gay people from marriage. Is it really anyone else's business what people do in their private lives and who gives these institutions the right to dictate what is right or wrong in this instance?

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

Post Date: 6th May, 2005 - 11:23am / Post ID: #

Diamond + G.I. Jane
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 3,057
Avg: 0.8 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 19.8%
Charm: 182

Sperm Gay No

I think the problem is that it isn't 100% accurate. I don't think anything is really in medicine, except death. So, if it isn't 100% accurate, how much risk is acceptable. There is risk even from non-homosexual donors as well.

Offtopic but,
Arvhic, we have a thread that discuss this issue on the religions board, click here to read it.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Post Date: 6th Jul, 2005 - 11:18am / Post ID: #

Delerium
No Gay Sperm.
A Friend

Sperm Gay No

I think that all donations should be screened regardless, I know that H.I.V is more prevalant in the gay community but with one in three people under the age of 25 contracting a sexually transmitted disease at some point in their lives (this is statistics from u.k can't speak for anywhere else) I think thats going to begin to change, I believe that sperm donors are becoming less frequent as it is so why discriminate against a quite a large part of the community when a simple screen test would answer the question of any health problems such as H.I.V, Hepatitas etc

Guest please SHARE: "No Gay Sperm." on:

Sponsored Links:

Topics like "No Gay Sperm." may just be one of many, do use the Search to find more
Options Fast Reply Add Reply Add Poll

No Registration Required!

We welcome input from visitors:
Add Comment As A Guest
Guest, please be considerate by using the appropriate tags as well as checking your grammar before submitting or it will be deleted. See: Constructive Posting Policy.

Tip TIP: Press above button ONCE only. If you come back here via the [Back] button on your browser then you will need to click [More Options] button (below) first in order to re-enable your ability to Post.

> TOPIC: No Gay Sperm.

Share:

Like:

Donate Compare Membership
International Discussions Coded by: BGID® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2019
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,

Top 20 Posters

1. News - 8 (23.53%)
2. Krusten - 6 (17.65%)
3. Opinion - 2 (5.88%)
4. Darkusrays - 2 (5.88%)
5. ROK Harker - 2 (5.88%)
6. Helzion - 1 (2.94%)
7. Fantasy - 1 (2.94%)
8. Racer - 1 (2.94%)
9. Majicsun - 1 (2.94%)
10. Hunter - 1 (2.94%)
Win 125 FP: If you are the Top Poster by 12am GMT (8pm Atlantic) then 125 FP will automatically be added to your account! Other Top Posters get 50 FP! To review or learn more about this feature See Details. To rant about Post count go here: Post Count Rants.
Auto Updated: Hourly.
Next check: 4 Hr(s). 59 Mins.
11. Reformist - 1 (2.94%)
12. Beowolf - 1 (2.94%)
13. Kerjin - 1 (2.94%)
14. Dice - 1 (2.94%)
15. Lester - 1 (2.94%)
16. RedLips - 1 (2.94%)
17. Stacia - 1 (2.94%)
18. ILoveSMF - 1 (2.94%)
19. Ammon - 1 (2.94%)

World Issues

USA vs North Korea:
North Korea Nuclear Weapons
versus USA This country is no Iraq. What is the USA going to do? What will be the outcome? By News 3 Days Ago
USA vs Syria:
versus U.S.A. Is Syria the next Iraq? By Reformist 6.1 Days Ago
North Korea vs South Korea:
versus North Korea Vs. South Korea By News 5th Jan, 2019 - 12:10pm
China vs USA:
USA versus China versus Chinese versus Americans The role of its Army, Politics, and Status in the World. By Skeptic 11th Dec, 2018 - 1:53pm
USA vs Germany:
Germany versus U.S.A. By News 11th Jul, 2018 - 8:00pm
China Navy:
Chinese Aircraft Carrier
China Navy Beware the new Naval power, they are planning to come on stream with big naval might to match their ground forces. Chinese Aircraft Carrier - Chinese Navy By News 27th Jun, 2018 - 11:14am
Russia vs. Syria:
Syria vs Russia By Opinion 17th Apr, 2018 - 9:54am
North Korea Military:
Discuss  North Korea Military This Thread is about the North Korean Military itself - the kind of army, navy, and air force they have. By Wizard 15th Jan, 2018 - 9:36am
Japan vs North Korea:
North Korea versus Japan versus War With Japan By Swell 17th Oct, 2017 - 4:17pm
China Military:
China Military Technology Preparing For China. China is growing their military. China Military Technology - can it keep up with the US? By Abnninja 5th Mar, 2017 - 5:25pm