Why Text Based Role-Playing Games? - Page 3 of 5

I find play by post and text RPG is pretty - Page 3 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 8th Aug, 2009 - 2:05pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

19th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Ranger
Ranger
Wizard
Wizard
Warlock
Warlock
Paladin
Paladin
Fighter
Fighter
Rogue
Rogue
Cleric
Cleric
Barbarian
Barbarian
Draconian
Draconian

+  1 2 3 4 5 
What is your argument / position about Text Role-Playing Games?
19th Jul, 2009 - 8:46am / Post ID: #

Why Text Based Role-Playing Games? - Page 3

I am not a member of any of the games on ID/Borde as I don't have the time, with my own tabletop group, nor the inclination - I've had less-than-stellar experiences as a player in play-by-post/forum rpgs, mostly GMs and players disappearing. Not lumping these games in with that at all, just giving a bit of background.

I enjoy more being the forum GM and letting the more creative and imaginative players take the spotlight with their characters and descriptions, as I no longer have the attention span, creativity or wits to keep bits of plot straight in my head, if I don't already know it and lately I've been having trouble with it from either side so I am not able to participate,

But when I did, in the "good times" of "text based games" (which I presume is somehow close or the same as play-by-post/e-mail), I did like the ability to precisely lay out my character's qualities, behavior and personality and features in a readable, reference-able format, sharing my creativity and personal bit of mutual imagination space, with others, who do likewise. I agree also I like being in real control of my character, not just the gross actions in general but the style or flourish or attitude with which I'm able to approach an issue, as I have time to think about and write it in an entertaining fashion. I would like to disagree and say that I do think that it is possible to experience this same/similar type of immersion and presentation and development in tabletop, though not at the literal level in which all the nuances may be referenced and necessarily catch people's "eye".

Sponsored Links:
19th Jul, 2009 - 7:31pm / Post ID: #

Games Role-Playing Based Text Why

Let me clarify something though, are text rpgs also table top rpgs? I thought text rpgs were the ones based on writing text as in play by post.

24th Jul, 2009 - 11:48pm / Post ID: #

Why Text Based Role-Playing Games? Reviews RPG & Card Board

As far as "text-games", like I said, I presumed play-by-post or e-mail, or even some realtime chat RP's, so if I was wrong and posted in error, my apologies, but perhaps some clarification in the initial founding post would be practical. =) If this refers to entirely freeform by-post games with no underlying mechanical structure for conflict resolution, but more collaborative storytelling or authorship, then I don't do that.

Reconcile Edited: jpatt on 24th Jul, 2009 - 11:50pm

25th Jul, 2009 - 5:53pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Games Role-Playing Based Text Why

Well I don't know I guess we can just say that text rpgs are the types where you use some kind of text to play and you do use text in table top too just not digitally although I have seen that trend already.

7th Aug, 2009 - 4:07am / Post ID: #

Games Role-Playing Based Text Why

You can't swing your own sword so the next best thing is to write about it and if you can write well enough then everyone will feel the swift wind from your sword as it passes by on the way to chuck off the head of an orc. That is why I like play by post writing.

8th Aug, 2009 - 6:14am / Post ID: #

Why Text Based Role-Playing Games?

BUT...

What about text/post games with a structure and rules, like actual game mechanics. Could you do a play by post game that has some restrictions, such as allowing you to write your character's actions and even narrate their effects, and the reactions of the enemy, even if they get knocked out - AS LONG as you don't "god mode" and say you dispatched all the villains, or did an immediate decapitation on the main Big Bad that just arrived?

For example, the kind I've ran, forum RPGs, used a tabletop RPG system called Wushu - on your turn, you write your character's actions, in bite size chunks, combined into one action sequence, like in an action movie - each section called an Embellishment - the more Embellishments, the more dice you get to roll to increase the chance of significantly reducing the opponent's stats or defusing the bomb or whatever.

Example: I run toward the bar from the dance floor (+1), leap into it (+1) and slide down the length of its surface (+1), arms extended and guns blazing (+1), bullets tearing through multiple enemies caught off guard (+1).

Here you would get 5 dice to roll, and those rolls would be tested against your stat for Guns or something, the more that match, the more significant your action was, the more points are removed from this scene's Threat Rating, etc.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Aug, 2009 - 12:49pm / Post ID: #

Why Text Based Role-Playing Games - Page 3

Isn't that what they have here? I was under the impression that all play by post styles were available including the ability to create your own, at least that's what I read.

Post Date: 8th Aug, 2009 - 2:05pm / Post ID: #

Why Text Based Role-Playing Games?
A Friend

Why Text Based Role-Playing Games Board Card & RPG Reviews - Page 3

I find play by post and text RPG is pretty much the same. Table top RPGing is very different as you actually roll dice. I am currently in a text based RPG and a table top RPG and getting ready to start another play by post RPG. Needless to say I enjoy them all and the differences in them.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Why Text Based Role-Playing Games?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,