Gay Pride Day - Page 2 of 3

Everyone has to be proud about something I - Page 2 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 30th Dec, 2009 - 12:36am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Gay Pride Day Related Information to Gay Pride Day
Post Date: 26th Dec, 2008 - 7:45pm / Post ID: #

Gay Pride Day
A Friend

Gay Pride Day - Page 2

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd jump in in response to this question from LDS:

Having said that, I still not understand why there is something to feel proud about by  being gay?

Well , for my money, you have to consider the history of the gay movement. How else could gay people take action to aim for equality? If you belittle yourself, if you share society's over-riding opinion (although less so nowadays) that gay people are nothing but feral lust fulfilling fools then you wouldn't bother. Pride comes from feeling satisfied that you are just fine as the person you are. Which is not to knock self-improvement but, again, why would you aim for self-improvement if you didn't think you had something worth improving. Take pride out of the equation and you just have a group of people accepting what is thrown at them and unwilling to take action.

Sponsored Links:
26th Dec, 2008 - 10:14pm / Post ID: #

Day Pride Gay

QUOTE (Xander @ 26-Dec 08, 3:45 PM)
Pride comes from feeling satisfied that you are just fine as the person you are.

If pride comes from feeling satisfied about who you are and how you are, adding your sexual orientation should be out of the statement unless the only thing you are proud about is being "gay" which is very odd. I am not "proud" to be heterosexual in the least.

Post Date: 27th Dec, 2008 - 3:23pm / Post ID: #

Gay Pride Day
A Friend

Gay Pride Day Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

But you have no need to be "proud" of being heterosexual. You are in the majority. You do not suffer prejudice because of your sexuality. You do not need to question whether to hold your partner's hand while walking down the street. You can get married without people protesting at your ceremony.

Minorities often have to be "proud" simply to overcome the stigma that comes from being in a minority at an individual level.

27th Dec, 2008 - 3:57pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Day Pride Gay

I've seen pictures of this and it borders on nudity and animalistic behavior I do not see anything to be PROUD about that. You have an issue with the way you are being treated then take it up with the legislation and law enforcement. I do not need to see your nuts and banana to understand your plight.

Post Date: 28th Dec, 2008 - 6:38pm / Post ID: #

Gay Pride Day
A Friend

Day Pride Gay

And groups can just pick up the phone and talk to the legislators? Of course they can't. Groups need organisation. They need the power of numbers and part of that is increasing the awareness of their issues and when Gay Pride started that was exactly its purpose. It was a political protest.

True, it has become something of a carnival in many places now but in those countries were the pursuit of gay rights is only just beginning Gay Pride parades are one of the first aspects of it and they are political in nature first and "carnival like" second.

28th Dec, 2008 - 7:44pm / Post ID: #

Gay Pride Day

I take it you are a supporter of the gay movement or even gay yourself so this topic might be close to you, but step back a moment and consider if you were the one looking on. Would you care to see the expression of sexuality displayed in front of your children? I wouldn't. Next, I do not see how a 'carnival' is a political process. If you want something done right then you people need to learn how to process. That's probably why you recently had certain processes beaten down rather than accepted by the people in California.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 29th Dec, 2009 - 10:34am / Post ID: #

Gay Pride Day
A Friend

Gay Pride Day - Page 2

I'm not American, I'm from the UK but I am aware of what happened with proposition 8.

What expression of sexuality are you talking about? What pictures did you see? Are you basing your entire opinion of this on some pictures that could only convey one piece of the larger parade and would be unable to show you what context they were taken in?

Why do you think gay pride parades even take place? Do you think when gay men and women first marched during the 70's and 80's that it was easy? Do you think they didn't face threats both verbal and physical whilst walking down the street? It was done to make gay people visible, to show people there were more "gays" than they thought and that they were people too not some monstrous reflections of fear.

We take Gay Pride for granted in the west but of course in other places it is not so. Recently the Mayor of Moscow banned it from his streets and your unlikely to see gay pride of any kind in the streets of Tehran. Why deny gay people this freedom? Because doing so keeps them hidden and closeted and means social perceptions of pedophilia, sexual abnormality and immorality can continue to fester.

30th Dec, 2009 - 12:36am / Post ID: #

Gay Pride Day Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 2

Everyone has to be proud about something I guess. I cannot relate to being proud about my sexuality, actually I cannot even think how ridiculous I would look parading the streets with a banner about it but that's just me. Let the brave ones have their day.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Gay Pride Day

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,