Mikejonesuk Introduction

Mikejonesuk Introduction - Introductions, Member Sharing - Posted: 10th Jun, 2005 - 3:39pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 9th Jun, 2005 - 2:57pm / Post ID: #

Mikejonesuk Introduction
A Friend

Mikejonesuk Introduction

Hello

My name is Michael. I am 48 years old and I live in London, England. I work for a university as a manager in a Halls of Residence. I live with my fiancee, and we have three daughters and four grand-children.

My interests are (in no particular order):

Creative Writing.
I enjoy writing short stories and poetry. I am attending a part-time creative writing class, and have started two novels (but haven't got very far with either of them). I am keen to make some cash from writing, and have submitted some of my stories and poetry to magazines, but have not been successful yet. If anyone would like to read my work, I would welcome some intelligent feedback.

Roleplaying design.
I have joined this board for inspiration. I am designing a roleplaying game aimed at younger children (about 6 and upwards). It will start as a one-die game and grow into a two-dice and, eventually, a three-dice game as the game gets more advanced/complicated, and the child gets older/wiser. It is designed so that a young child playing a simple skill based game with one die can play at the same time as an older child rolling three dice using magic, hit locations, experience rolls, and more. It will be available as downloadable package of PDF files which will include Players Guides, DM Guides, battlemaps, paper miniatures, adventure modules, and everything the DM and players needs to play except dice. (And paper, card, scissors, glue, etc). I'm using free online map making software so that the DM can design his/her own adventure modules using my graphics. (I will also supply full instructions on how to design maps and graphics). I aim to make it a game that does not just concentrate on killing monsters, but makes the player use their brains as well as making moral choices. I will eventually be looking for play-testers - preferably with young children. Any volunteers?

Anyway, that's enough about that. My other interests include:

Proofreading.
I am trying to find a way to earn a few extra quid, and think that I would be quite good at proofreading. Any advice on that would be very welcome - particularly on how to get some clients. I would also like to find out more about copywriting too.

Computers and the internet.
I have owned a computer of one sort or another since 1981 when Clive Sinclair brought out the ZX81 in the UK, and consider computers to be quite miraculous. I am constantly amazed by what I can do with the internet, for example. Some years ago I enjoyed designing a website in HTML for an employer, and I will design another when I have a finished RPG to show off (see above).

I have a varied taste in art, books, food, etc.

Favourite TV programmes - West Wing, good documentaries, the new Doctor Who
Favourite food - Italian (but Japanese cuisine comes a very close second)
Favourite author - George MacDonald Fraser for his Flashman series
Favourite city - London, which is handy because that's where I live.

I've rambled on far too long. I hope to get to know you better in due course.

Michael

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 9th Jun, 2005 - 3:20pm / Post ID: #

Introduction Mikejonesuk

Welcome Ta Ye Ole' Forum!

Understand this Villager... Many a brave lad and las have come here in times past seeking adventure, but they were never up to the task at hand. Wilt thou also run like a coward? Thou must do the following to be an RPGer here:

1. Post no less than 30 constructive messages!
2. Keep an activity rating of no less than 75%
3. You should be AT LEAST 16 years old and intellectually vibrant
4. Read and show you understand (by the way you post) this thread on: Good Posting!
5. Diligently read the gaming rules for the RPG you wish to play
6. If you are unsure how to post messages then visit the Test Board
7. If you still have questions AFTER reading the FAQ Board then please ask them WITHIN this thread, do not start a new thread just to ask a question.
8. This place has MANY features to help you find what you are looking for:
* SITE MAP - shows all the Boards and some features on one page
* MAIN INDEX - Click Here to see all boards
* You will also see a link or banner saying 'Phone Home' use this to get quick help!
9. If you cannot handle the above then feel free to delete your account.

The next thing you should do now is update your profile. You can do this by clicking the link called, 'My Controls' in the top menu. You will be given a series of fields to fill in or menus to choose from, simply answer ALL the questions, and save it!

For further help on Creating Your Character:

We have recently added a unique WIZARD to the https://www.worldofmedieval.com/ page to help newbies and others get step by step information to build a character!

Post Date: 9th Jun, 2005 - 3:22pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect
[?] CPosts: 38,025
Flag Posts: 51,682
Avg: 6.5 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 4,584.18 FP
Charm: 394

Mikejonesuk Introduction Sharing Member & Introductions

Welcome Mike, that is by far the longest and most detailed intro I have ever seen and I can tell already that you are my kind of community person so I look forward to seeing your posts and perspectives within the Board. Be sure to take Knight's advice and soon you will be involved in some heavy RPGing. All the best!

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Hard Work | Credit: | Gender: Male | Politics: Libertarian
Tenet: Reperire Veritatem | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Fifty Something | Joined: Reg. 3rd Sep, 2002 - 1:01pm
Signature: Donate Please Support Our Efforts!
Post Date: 9th Jun, 2005 - 4:44pm / Post ID: #

Me
Diamond + Author
[?] CPosts: 3,526
Flag Posts: 4,033
Avg: 0.5 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 13.9%
[+] Gain: 200.00 FP
Charm: 226

Introduction Mikejonesuk

Welcome to the forum, Michael. I agree with JB, that you have given a tremendous introduction.

Have you considered learning about "commercial" writing? That is, writing the type of stuff that you get in the mail every day? You must realize that someone is writing that stuff, and getting paid for it.

I am currently learning how to do and sell this type of writing, as a means of becoming independent.

So, do you live IN London, or one of the suburbs? Which part of London? And, have you ever made it to the New Year's Eve party in Trafalgar Square? (I did in 1982.) wink.gif

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Diamond Emeritus | Credit: | Gender: Male | Politics: Libertarian
Tenet: LDS (Mormon) | Reason: Ruler of Kings II Text RPG | Age: Sixty Something | Joined: Reg. 24th Aug, 2003 - 12:23pm
Signature:
Post Date: 9th Jun, 2005 - 10:31pm / Post ID: #

Mikejonesuk Introduction
A Friend

Introduction Mikejonesuk

Thanks for your comments and advice.

I do live in London. I live in an area called Elephant and Castle (honest!) which is off the tourist path but not far from central London. It's south of the river (Thames, of course) and I can see the London Eye and the Houses of Parliament from my flat window. I can hear Big ben chime the hour in the quiet of the night.

I've never been to Trafalgar Square on New Year's Eve as I am usually working. Anyway, I hear that it has become quite rough in recent years. But I do go into the West End quite often. I love London - it's so busy and exciting.

Nighthawk, can you please tell me a bit more about "commercial" writing, and what it entails? What have you done to start learning it? And where did you get your information?

Michael

Post Date: 10th Jun, 2005 - 2:42am / Post ID: #

Diamond + Chief
[?] CPosts: 5,097
Flag Posts: 7,087
Avg: 0.9 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 24.2%
[+] Gain: 1,203.00 FP
Charm: 301

Mikejonesuk Introduction

Welcome to the Forum, Mike! Quite the resume' you've provided -- thanks for giving us an inside view into who you are. We welcome your participation here, and look forward to discussing the latest issues of the day with you.

Welcome, and Enjoy!
Roz

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Diamond Emeritus | Credit: | Gender: Female | Politics: Conservative
Tenet: LDS (Mormon) | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Sixty Something | Joined: Reg. 28th Jun, 2003 - 12:34pm
Signature: Don't miss out on a blessing because it's not packaged the way you expect.
Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 10th Jun, 2005 - 1:53pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect
[?] CPosts: 38,025
Flag Posts: 51,682
Avg: 6.5 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 4,584.18 FP
Charm: 394

Mikejonesuk Introduction

Mike, I placed a thread you posted here as it was going offtopic. I also replied with my view. If you are interested in actually participating in our RPGs here you will need to increase your post count to 30, so feel free to visit all the Boards and give your input. There are also unique custom RPGs that are available if you upgrade, some of these are interactive and do not require others to play. They each have a different story to tell. All the best.

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Hard Work | Credit: | Gender: Male | Politics: Libertarian
Tenet: Reperire Veritatem | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Fifty Something | Joined: Reg. 3rd Sep, 2002 - 1:01pm
Signature: Donate Please Support Our Efforts!
Post Date: 10th Jun, 2005 - 3:39pm / Post ID: #

Mikejonesuk Introduction
A Friend

Mikejonesuk Introduction Introductions & Member Sharing

Thanks (again!) for your reply.

Sorry about the off-topic thing. I thought the thread was about designing your own RPgs. Perhaps I was wrong.

I do intend to take part in the RPG Medieval section of this site. But I don't want to post just get up to thirty. I'll only post if I've got something to say.

I am intrigued by the online RPG set-up. I haven't played one for more than a few minutes before, so I'm interested to see if it holds my attention.

I think it will if it's anything like this forum. I use another forum because of it's excellent free online mapping section. The quality of conversation in the forum itself is pretty dire in spite of the efforts of a few ancient specimens like myself.

I like it here, and I intend to stay. smile.gif

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Mikejonesuk Introduction

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,