Being Lost In The Community?

Being Lost Community - Community News, FAQ, Feedback - Posted: 1st Dec, 2005 - 7:13pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 

?
Poll: Navigating this site is...
  Very easy       25.00%
  Simple       37.50%
  Average       37.50%
  Difficult       0.00%
Total Votes: 8
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Trouble Navigating
23rd Jun, 2005 - 11:03pm / Post ID: #

One of the biggest complaints I get is the problems users have in navigating (Mostly from novice online users I think). To be honest I really cannot understand what the trouble is… we have tabs at the top and side, a main index with all the Boards, a Site Map, Phone Home… etc. Etc. Is it that people are simply lazy? Is it that I am blinded by something that is unseen? One of the most frequent things I have found is that people just do not want to read, they rather you just tell them…

'How do I do this?'
'Where can I find that?'

Now of course I am not saying that no one will ever have questions, but when you get some like 'Where do I see all the Boards?' or 'How do you reply?' then you know this person needs to READ!

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 25th Jun, 2005 - 10:45pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Community The Lost Being

When I joined, the dark matrix skin was the default skin, and I had no problems learning to navigate. When I tried out the executive skin, I had difficulty finding where I wanted to go. I literally had no problems before and lots of problems afterward. I think it depends on the skin because not everything is in the same place for all of them.

1st Dec, 2005 - 4:33am / Post ID: #

Being Lost In The Community? Feedback & FAQ News Community

I am still amazed that with all the helps here there are still users that find 'navigating' here confusing. I believe it is mostly because they do not take the time to read and therefore do not know where they are going like a ship with no destination - no direction.

1st Dec, 2005 - 6:18am / Post ID: #

Community The Lost Being

I would say that most of it would just be people coming in from other forums and not knowing what to expect. It's a lot to absorb to catch on right away. Now, some people are slow and not too quick to catch on but it does take time. Every forum has a different way of doing things and for that reason I think that people coming in would have a bit of difficulty. I like the set-up though myself. Once I got used to it, which would be today, I can navigate through it with ease. I'm still learning though where everything is.

Reconcile Edited: WearyKnight on 1st Dec, 2005 - 6:22am

1st Dec, 2005 - 12:07pm / Post ID: #

Community The Lost Being

From the first few weeks that I have been a member here I have noticed that it is always becoming easier to navigate. I did definitely bonehead a few times myself and had to figure out where it was that I needed to go. JB is right though, the more time that I have spent actually reading and looking around, I have found a lot of easier and more productive ways to navigate.

international QUOTE (konquererz)
I think it depends on the skin because not everything is in the same place for all of them.

That is a very good point also. Everyone has certain things that stand out to them such as color schemes, layouts, ect. I myself have found the medieval theme to be very easy to navigate. I actually have not yet tried the other skins but I may one of these days just to check them out a little bit.

1st Dec, 2005 - 12:32pm / Post ID: #

What do you recommend that should be done to make it easy to navigate for a new user? The Bare Bones Skin has most things taken out to make it simple, but I am unsure if that makes a difference really. Have you ever tried the Phone Home and REM Control Panels?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Dec, 2005 - 4:41pm / Post ID: #

Being Lost The Community

For a new user I don't think that there is much else to do really. You've done a very good job. The main thing is that this site is larger than a lot of other sites and takes time to learn, and to navigate. They'll get the hang of it. It also just takes a lot of interaction I guess to make a new person feel comfortable. When someone feels comfortable in a site navigating it becomes easier. I'm not sure why, but that's my experience.

1st Dec, 2005 - 7:13pm / Post ID: #

Being Lost The Community Community News FAQ & Feedback

Maybe someone new to the internet since there are a lot of topics it could be overwhelming. Hence all the questions from the ones new to the forums. Or maybe they don't want to create a new topic under the wrong board and they are just be cautious?

Now to hunt down how to change themes.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Being Lost In The Community?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,