Romania - Page 2 of 4

QUOTE On the other hand, you could sense a - Page 2 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 11th Jul, 2005 - 6:03pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 

?
Poll: Before I read this thread I knew a lot about Romania...
  No, I knew nothing       16.67%
  No, but I knew some things       50.00%
  Yes, I used to live there       0.00%
  Yes, I have a friend from there or visited       0.00%
  Yes, I am from there       33.33%
Total Votes: 6
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Culture & Tradition
Romania Related Information to Romania
10th Jul, 2005 - 6:57pm / Post ID: #

Romania - Page 2

I think I made a mistake: of course romanians are caucasians ... when I said - somewhere - that romanians are white, well it was an error of translation (as you know english is not my native language).

It is my opinion that romanian girls are beautiful, but not only my opinion. Ask anyone who came to Romania. The impression of girls here being so beautiful is increased by the fact that - no matter where they go - romanian girls dress up nicely.

Offtopic but,
Of course I have a beautiful wife! ... I'll try to send you a picture wink.gif

Sponsored Links:
10th Jul, 2005 - 8:01pm / Post ID: #

Romania

The reason I made that comment about being 'White' is because some countries do not see a person as 'White' unless they are pale, blonde hair and blue eyes. For instance the girl on the first page may not be taken as 'White' for some.

So then what are the customary ways in which men and women meet and are married that is different from Western Culture?

I was looking at this page and wondered if you would consider it an accurate account/description:

Unlike the Hungarians, as far as we can tell, the peoples who would later be known as Romanians, arrived in Europe as shepherds, not warriors.  They were a peaceful nomadic people, caring for their own flocks as well as the herds of others.  To the many rulers of the lands in which they lived, they were simply serfs, easily overlooked.  As one musicologist has noted: Hungarians dance in boots, Romanians dance in sandals.  Romanians are a quiet, earthy, smiling people who have suffered much but have never been broken.

Offtopic but,
I would like to see that and what you look like as well. Send it to me in an Email or you can use the 'Hot or Not' Gallery.

10th Jul, 2005 - 9:57pm / Post ID: #

Romania Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

There is a big debate regarding who was here first: romanians or hungarians. Frankly, I don't really care much, but some do care. The other current of opinion state that the "Dacs" were here first. They were conquered by the Romans (wars in 100-101 and then 105-106 a.ch.) and by the mixing of these 2 people (Dacs and the Romans witch remained in these lands) resulted the romanians. The Dacs were indeed shepherds, but as far as I know they were also warriors. The hungarians came here later from Asia(400-500 a.ch.). They are supposedly related to mongols - I really don't know that for sure.

Romanians are a quiet, earthy, smiling people who have suffered much but have never been broken.

This is true in general.

Offtopic but,
I'm having some problems with the speed of my internet connection and I can't upload the pictures I promised ... I'll do it as soon as I can

10th Jul, 2005 - 11:09pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Romania

Maybe coming from a humble breed has made Romanians generally peaceful - it runs in the blood. Vald did not seem to think so though. You also neglected to answer this:

So then what are the customary ways in which men and women meet and are married that is different from Western Culture?

By the way, do people there feel insulted by the association of Dracula with the country rather it being know for something else?

11th Jul, 2005 - 10:08am / Post ID: #

Romania

I can't really tell any differences. The western culture has a big influence and ,even if there were any differences, they disappeared.

do people there feel insulted by the association of Dracula with the country rather it being know for something else?

I don't think people are insulted by the association with Dracula, rather I would say some are troubled by the fact the foreigners know nothing else about Romania than Dracula. Romania mean many other things. I don't want to sound pathetic or too patriotic ... I really don't feel patriotic.

Offtopic but,
Vald did not seem to think so though

I don't understand this sentence

11th Jul, 2005 - 11:10am / Post ID: #

Romania

Do you feel that the stigma of a negative identity has caused Romania to follow a more Western approach to life rather than Eastern or European? I find that most countries that do this want to associate with something that they feel is more exciting than their own whereas some just want the economic viability rather than the cultural aspects.

Offtopic but,
My reference to Vlad is based on the related topic here.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
11th Jul, 2005 - 1:45pm / Post ID: #

Romania - Page 2

I think Romania belongs to Europe and it's inevitable to be influenced by the western culture and the western way of life. It doesn't bother me and I think it shouldn't bother anyone. In this country you can see an interesting mixture of influences from many cultures - western (mainly due to the Austro-Hungarian Empire and some german minorities) , oriental (from Turkey - the Ottoman Empire) and slavonic (from Russia, Bulgaria and Serbia), along with the primary influence of the Roman Empire. By the way, did you know that the romanian language is a latin language? Someone said Romania is an isle of latinity in the middle of a slavonic ocean.

some just want the economic viability rather than the cultural aspects

I haven't thought about it this way, but you may be right.

Offtopic but,
Vlad was indeed a very cruel man ... I'll post some thoughts about him in the proper thread

11th Jul, 2005 - 6:03pm / Post ID: #

Romania Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 2

On the other hand, you could sense a bit of discrimination towards homosexuals and gypsies.

Anything else?

What about towards Latinos?. Or isn't there really Latinos in Romania?. How is the health system and how the society in general sees elderly people?. Would you describe Romania as an "aged" society or far from it?. Is it common for Romanians to live with someone without being married?. How would you describe the typical Romanian: traditional or liberal?.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Romania

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,