Katrina

Katrina - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 1st Sep, 2005 - 11:52pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (11) »
Lasting Effects? There is a Thread in the Heinous Crimes section which talks about what happened from a RAW angle. You need to be an Upgraded Member with mature status to read the behind the scenes Discussion: The Horrors of Katrina
Katrina Related Information to Katrina
  • Pet Survival - Katrina as an example
  • When Odds Are Against You - Survival in depressing times
  • Katrina Car Sale - Beware!
  • The Horror of Katrina - Through the eyes of tourists (requires Mature access)
  • Unusual Crime - A perspective of law
  • 1st Sep, 2005 - 6:54am / Post ID: #

Katrina

Katrina

The city of New Orleans is an average of 8 feet below sea level. With bursting levees and waters still rising, what do you think of the chance that the city will be permanently abandoned?

Read more...

NOTE: Lasting Effects? There is a Thread in the Heinous Crimes section which talks about what happened from a RAW angle. You need to be an Upgraded Member with mature status to read the behind the scenes Discussion: The Horrors of Katrina

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 11 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.1%

Sponsored Links:
    1st Sep, 2005 - 11:49am / Post ID: #

Katrina

I don't think there is any chance that New Orleans will be abandoned. The people from that area have too much love for the city. They will clean it up and rebuild it. Even if it takes decades.

IMO

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

1st Sep, 2005 - 4:43pm / Post ID: #

Katrina History & Civil Business Politics

The effects from Katrina will spread like a ripple in a pond.

Think of Houston! They have opened their arms to the refugees, but at what cost? 10's of thousands of homeless, unemployed people. There is a rumor on the web today of a Houston resident, unemployed since March, being told in a job interview that "preference will be given" to the refugees, because they (employers in the city) have been charged with finding jobs for them.

How about the school system? Texas legislature was already having a problem with funding public schools, and now there will be thousands of school children absorbed into the local schools.

The flood of people will affect outlying areas economically with as much damage as the flood of water did. Which answers my question about why other major cities have not extended the same welcome that Houston has.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Post Date: 1st Sep, 2005 - 4:51pm / Post ID: #

Katrina
    A Friend

Katrina

I totally agree with Nighthawk... it will be a long and expensive process, but they will rebuild it in time. I've visited New Orleans several years ago, and you could just feel the love of the people in the city and you felt the culture all around you as you walked down the street. It's just devastating to see this happen to anybody, no matter who or where you are.

Post Date: 1st Sep, 2005 - 5:07pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Katrina

On the day after, sobering lessons from Katrina

USATODAY.com - As the full impact of Hurricane Katrina began to sink in Tuesday - New Orleans flooding, scenes of devastation along the Gulf Coast, a death toll of dozens and rising - perhaps the broadest lesson was the reminder that in the contest of nature vs. man, nature at its most powerful retains the upper hand.
    Ref. https://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...sonsfromkatrina

Post Date: 1st Sep, 2005 - 5:39pm / Post ID: #

Katrina
    A Friend

Katrina

They announced today on our news that Lake Pontchartrain has finally levelled out with the city. Though the hurricane had left, the water from the broken levee's was still causing the water to rise. Now that it has finally evened out, hopefully they can get the pumps back up and working. Even if they all did get back up, which is highly unlikely, their pump system only drains one inch every hour, and that's with everything working as it should be.

Some people are not going to bother to return back to New Orleans. They don't have anything to return to. We have tents set up on our fairgrounds and people here taking refugees into their homes, and people are just picking up their lives here. They're getting jobs and will look into starting a new life here.

As for the city as a whole, it will be rebuilt eventually. It will be costly and it will be time consuming, but it will happen eventually. At the moment in Lousianna and Mississippi, they're still working purely on search and rescue. There's very few areas that have begun clean up at this point.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
    Post Date: 1st Sep, 2005 - 6:08pm / Post ID: #

Katrina
    A Friend

Katrina

I know this is probably not good for the mind, but I am constantly monitoring news sites and when I'm home, I'm glued to the 24 hour television coverage of this disaster, as I was with the Tsunami. I just cannot fathom losing everything - and to think that these people literally have nothing but the clothes on their back and their young children clinging to them as they wade through chest deep water trying to get out - I just can't help but wish I was there to do something.
    In the back of my mind I think back to the past couple of Hurricanes that have come and gone within miles of me and have thought to myself "I can survive this" or "It won't affect me" and mentally, I am paying for it now. I live in a coastal area and if a hurricane this strong hit us straight on, we would be wiped out as well.. without a doubt. How foolish are we to "stay and wait it out" when officials say to get out of town?
    It really makes you realize how precious life is and how forces beyond your control can destroy everything you've worked for your entire life in a matter of moments. I just hope the citizens of the affected areas and their families receive the strength and comfort they need to pull themselves together and begin a new life amidst the tragedy.

1st Sep, 2005 - 11:52pm / Post ID: #

Katrina Politics Business Civil & History

Here is an interesting view of Katrina - from the International Community.

https://www.lifelikepundits.com/archives/001400.php

Foreign Statements on Katrina

"The American people will overcome the aftermath of the disaster and rebuild their homeland," Chinese President Hu Jintao said in a message.

Hu is set to hold talks with Bush in Washington next Wednesday on his first visit to the US as China's head of state.

There is more. Very nice.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (11) »

> TOPIC: Katrina

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
    Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
    This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,