Alaska

Alaska - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 22nd May, 2008 - 11:58pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (20) »
Alaska
Post Date: 8th Sep, 2005 - 2:37am / Post ID: #

Alaska

Alaska

The capital of Alaska is Juneau and the State was admitted to the Union on: January 3, 1959. You may feel free to discuss the Culture and Traditions of Alaska within this thread.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 14th Oct, 2005 - 3:51am / Post ID: #

Alaska
A Friend

Alaska

Alaska is known for the aurora borealis. While it can be seen in other states such as Michigan, it is the brightest and most beautiful in Alaska. I have wanted to visit Alaska since I was a kid.
https://www.geo.mtu.edu/weather/aurora/

18th Apr, 2006 - 1:08am / Post ID: #

Alaska History & Civil Business Politics

Some not so well-known facts about Alaska:

1) The state has the lowest population density in the US
2) It also has the most coast line of any state, including California
3) It is the largest US state; almost twice as large as Texas
4) It's largest revenue source is oil

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

Post Date: 30th Jun, 2006 - 7:54pm / Post ID: #

Alaska
A Friend

Alaska

Some more unknown facts

1. Alaskans get paid to live in the state! Yes, it's called a Permanent Income Fund which pays them about $1,500 a year from the newfound oil money.

2. There is no sales tax in Alaska

3. Alaska is not all frozen wasteland, some parts of Alaska are quite temperate(The area around Juneau, Haines).
4. If Alaska were superimposed on the continental US, it would stretch from Jacksonville to San Francisco.
5. There is more national park, monument,etc, acreage in Alaska then any other state and it makes up for half of the the U.S. National Park System.

21st Oct, 2007 - 11:29am / Post ID: #

Alaska

No sales tax and you get a Permanent Fund Dividend, wow Alaska seems inviting, but I guess the bitter cold and high heating costs must equalize everything? I would like to know more about how the Permanent Fund Dividend works.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3208 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

22nd Oct, 2007 - 9:07pm / Post ID: #

Alaska

This is probably the easiest way to explain it--that way you can check what info you are interested in. I am good at spending them, not explaining them!
https://www.pfd.state.ak.us/

It is amazing to me how you can live somewhere and take it for granted. I love Alaska in the summer but have to find things to like about the winter. Though when reading the posts here--it is definitely the Northern Lights, or Aurora Borealis and the beautiful stars we see in the winter when the weather is cold and the sky is clear. Thats when we know to bundle up or turn up the heat!

We just had our first snow late last week and the kids were so overjoyed! It was some tiny amount but nevertheless they had so much fun! That too brings something when I dread them--to see the love the kids have! Guess I am just too old or something --my kids would agree with that! rolleyes.gif
Now Summer ! WOW--I will have to continue that on another post but it includes fishing for salmon and road trips and Mt. McKinley!

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: It is not necessary to quote the entire post of the user above you. See Constructive Posting Policy.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 17 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.7%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
24th Oct, 2007 - 5:53pm / Post ID: #

Alaska

QUOTE (AlaskanLDS)
We just had our first snow late last week and the kids were so overjoyed!

I thought it would have been the other way around considering you have snow almost all year round.

I checked the site you gave me in brief, it seems like it is 'hush' money or in other words... 'allow us to get oil and we will give you something for it'? I am sure there are many activists up there against this?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3208 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 22nd May, 2008 - 11:58pm / Post ID: #

Alaska
A Friend

Alaska Politics Business Civil & History

The state site for the Alaska PFD only explains in legal terms what the fund is. So, basically, in everyday speak - the oil fund was set up by a very special man way back when - when oil was found in the arctic. The fund was set up so that all of the oil revenue did not go to the government but instead, a tiny portion of the interest would be returned to the people of the state.

Now this sounds fantastic, however, as people of the state, we have to fight constantly to keep that tiny portion of the interests we receive. The PFD (Permanent Fund Dividend) was set up to help Alaskans with the cost of living in Alaska. The cost of living here is I think something like 7 times higher then most states in the lower 48. Nearly everything needs to be shipped - including our gas and oil as we have no refineries here.

I don't know exactly how the government works, but I'm pretty sure that a percentage of the money made off the oil field is placed in a ... account.. weather it is from investment or savings I do not know. The PFD is a percentage of the interest off that account. The remaining interest is delivered to the state and government to cover costs of running the state.

Alaska is a huge piece of land. Most of the land is bordered with the ultimate mountain ranges and coast lines. We have some of the largest and most beautiful national parks - these parks are not areas that people can go camping in or even get to normally - some of them - the only way to get to them is to fly in the summer or snow machine in the winter.

There is often people who speak out agains drilling for oil in the wild life refuge areas. However what these people don't understand is that the amount of land needed to drill the oils is very small compared to the land mass set aside for the animals. Even in Prudoe Bay - where the oil is currently being drilled, the wildlife have had a benefit from our being there - for one, the pipeline is warmer then the outside planes - thus the animals have a little more warmth in the winter and have been seen and photographed standing near to the pipeline in the winter for warmth. They do not nest there, they do not stay - just taking a break from the cold winds and ice that flow so freely up on the arctic slope.

The PFD is not a lot of money for people who live here. Normally, average homes use the PFD they receive for things like - winter clothing, paying bills, stocking up for winter, school cloths for children, or - if they happen to have a good paying job - it might pay for a plane ticket for a short vacation somewhere - normally Hawaii.

At any rate - moving to Alaska just so you can participate in the PFD is not a suggested thing to do wink.gif as - the cost of living is high and the amount of money we receive is really not that much - it is true that each person who is qualified will receive that check, however it is most likely needed for everyday living expenses - that is what it was set up for, and that is what most Alaskans I know use if for.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (20) »

> TOPIC: Alaska

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,