Alaska - Page 2 of 20

Happy belated birthday Alskann! man - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 5th Jan, 2009 - 7:29pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (20) »
Alaska
8th Sep, 2008 - 7:34pm / Post ID: #

Alaska - Page 2

On top of this fund do you not get a northern living tax break to offset living costs? I know they do in Canad have not done my own tax in a few years but I think it is ball park 2500. Not much in the grand scheme of things.

I am not sure where it starts now but I think it used to be the NWT and Yukon territory.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 8th Sep, 2008 - 8:19pm / Post ID: #

Alaska
A Friend

Alaska

No, we do not get any sort of tax break for living in Alaska. I think the other states might get offended if the tax treasury department granted us a living tax of some sort - I think I would be all for it, however, the amount of the tax you mentioned is very near the amount of PFD we get. In my mind, it is about the same-
YES we do have to pay taxes on the PFD.
Even our children pay taxes on the PFD money received. The government has to have a way to get ahold of that money constantly smile.gif

Many people fight each year to try and get the Alaskan people to vote to do away with the PFD. They say the payout for each person would be so large, we would no longer need the yearly support. My fear is that we would get a big chunk of money - maybe nearly a million for each person - those staying in the state would do home repairs, maybe some remodeling, maybe buy a first home. We would purchase new cars and trucks, maybe snow machines or wave runners, maybe fishing boats and motorhomes. But when the hard time comes again - and they will, there will be nothing to help the people of Alaska make it through. And the government will have all the oil and gas revenues tied up.

This is an election year so the pressure has been great on the idea of drilling for oil and gas. The Alaskan people - in my mind - support that process. We also know that we agree to have the same types of revenue system in place so the government must pay a small portion of income to the people of Alaska if they wish to drill upon the land we call home and protect. We use the land for our survival.

We can not grow corn in Alaska - corn grows in the dark and it is not dark in Alaska in the summer. We can not - to my knowledge - grow wheat or other grains in Alaska. We can grow potatoes. We can grow tomatoes, squash, carrots, onions, and those sorts of things. Yes, we have local bakeries and coffee shops, but nearly all of the goods needed to substain the average persons life HAS to be shipped in.

We are not all native Alaskans. We do not all live where fishing and hunting are permitted. Some of us live where you can fish or hunt freely and we choose not too. Alaska is a beautiful state. Going on an Alaskan Cruise only allows you to se a very tiny part of the coast line. I have lived here for over 30 years and have not seen but a small part of the state. Where I live is similar to - hmm - small town in Montana or Oregon or some place like that.

In my town, we have average temperatures in the summer of around 70-85F, and as cold as -25F in the winters. Summer is nearly always mid May to late July. We nearly always have snow on the ground for Halloween. January through March are the coldest months - we call them the "deep freeze". Because that is when the winds howl and the sun hides.

In the summertime, we get nearly constant sunshine. Often I will have to mow my lawn twice a week just to keep up with the growth. In the winter time, we get only a few hours of sun each day, and then only if there are no storm clouds blocking it out. Cabin fever is real!. People have to find things that help them through the tough times of year. Getting out of the house is often not an option. Too cold, too expensive, too far, cranky, don't feel good, grumpy bear syndrome can set in and it is very hard to break if you are not ready for it.

The money we get from the PFD helps - but does not cover the entire cost - for things of nessecity. Such as, heating fuel, food products (always a good idea to have at least a month of food stocked up just in case something happens and the markets don't get their food shipments) clothing, school supplies, car repairs (Alaskans drive a long way to commute - my husband has to drive about 45 miles one way to get to work - and again to get home) When you are talking about maybe $2,000 a year -that is really not very much money to have to stretch it to so many needed areas. I don't know of anyone that can afford to set the PFD aside for college funds or retirement funds, or vacation funds. I have heard rumors of this happening - but then I have also heard rumors of the Lock Ness Monster.

The fund was set up so that the big oil companies and special parties in government would not get ALL the money. A very tiny portion of the interest of the money made from drilling oil would be returned to the people of the state to help with the high cost of living here. It sounds special, and it is, however for those who do not live in Alaska, it can be misunderstood.

Sorry if I have talked your ear off. I wish the PFD was 3 or 4 times the amount. Than we Alaskans MIGHT be able to afford to do some of the awesome things like - vacationing and college funds for our kids. But as it is, we just survive.

8th Sep, 2008 - 8:35pm / Post ID: #

Alaska History & Civil Business Politics

70-85F, and as cold as -25F

To be honest that is not that cold, I think it is the duration of that cold that is the most significant as it penetrates so much deeper in the ground that way. In clear nights with high winds it must drop much lower though.

You are right if bought out the majority would be broke in 5 years and staving or worse.

I am hoping to go north in a summer trip with the boys and camp from west to east along the north then slide into Newfoundland. by the end I will have all possible finishing licenses bout laugh.gif.

Funny I think going North has so much to offer in a trip but to head to any metro area is a waste of gas to me. A mall is a mall a store a store only the arts that live in cities is worth entering the toxic fumes for. yet you can not drag those people out of their homes let along the city for the most part unless it is to a cottage or beach in the summer. Winter is the most ponderous season of all. Harsh yes.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

9th Sep, 2008 - 2:48am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Alaska

Federal Employees get a 25% territorial cost of living allowance that is tax free. They are talking about abolishing that and instigating an area wage which would roll the 25% into base salaries. But that is only for federal employees.

As for cold, the lowest it has been at my house is -55f and that is a guestimate because my thermometer only goes to -50f. That is not the norm though. Most winters we have a few weeks of -20 to -35f degree weather. Now if you go a bit farther North up around Fairbanks you are going to run into the -60 to -80 degree chill.

The way I figure it anything colder than -35f below is just plain cold. You are right that it is the duration of the cold that really gets to be unbearable. The winters here go on forever. But don't you get a lot of the same in Canada?

I love the long endless Alaskan summer. I could live with 24hours of daylight year round. This summer we did not see much sun and we are looking at cooler days already. I am guessing we will see snow by early October, if not before.

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 32 ActivistPoliticianActivist 3.2%

Post Date: 3rd Jan, 2009 - 6:56pm / Post ID: #

Alaska

Alaska celebrates her Birthday today as being made part of the United States.

3rd Jan, 2009 - 7:23pm / Post ID: #

Alaska

They are lighting a cauldron in town square today in commemoration. However, some of the celebrations are being postponed due to the freezing sub-zero temps. It is 40 below at my house right now. The outdoor evening activities such as sled races and fireworks will be rescheduled for a time when it is at least -10 or warmer. It is not safe to be outdoors for prolonged periods of time in this rotten arctic chill.

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 32 ActivistPoliticianActivist 3.2%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Jan, 2009 - 7:42pm / Post ID: #

Alaska - Page 2

Happy Birthday Alaska. I just can't see myself living in such an environment. There is so much dependence on fuel sources that if lights / gas were suddenly cut for a prolonged period you could have dire circumstances.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3209 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

5th Jan, 2009 - 7:29pm / Post ID: #

Alaska Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

Happy belated birthday Alskann! man it is hard to compare where you are to me and my location. I guess really like any where take the 49nth parallel and above that ity gets cold for a long time each winter. Below that is much milder and every 400 miles south you just get that much shorter in winter.

I can not really recall seeing -40F often past my teens. Now people wine like babies at -25C! That is almost warm compared to many parts in the far north. In Burlington we see first snow maybe in Nov mostly Dec then some will sty on ground in Jan and Feb snow is gone by mid march. 200 miles north it comes and stays Nov to end Of march but not real cold. 250 mile up (in the near north) -30F becomes more common then after North bay Winter comes for real.

Buffalo get 5 times the winter we do here in the banana Belt.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (20) »

> TOPIC: Alaska

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,