Kansas

Kansas - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 27th Apr, 2011 - 8:50am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (17) »
Kansas People
Post Date: 8th Sep, 2005 - 3:17am / Post ID: #

Kansas

Kansas

The capital of Kansas is Topeka and the State was admitted to the Union on: January 29, 1861. Feel free to add messages about this State's Traditions and Culture.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 24th Sep, 2005 - 5:26am / Post ID: #

Kansas
A Friend

Kansas

Kansas has the unique privilege of having the countries first Federal Prison. Leavenworth prison was the first federal prison built in 1895 by an act of congress.
https://www.lvarea.com/data/usp_info.htm

Kansas is also home to the worlds second largest ball of twine. Don't know how exciting that is, but worth a note I suppose.
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/MNDARtwine.html

Post Date: 14th Dec, 2005 - 3:37am / Post ID: #

Kansas
A Friend

Kansas History & Civil Business Politics

I didn't know this until I was reading a news article.

Kansas does not have an age limit for marriage.

Post Date: 15th Jun, 2006 - 12:02am / Post ID: #

Kansas
A Friend

Kansas

Wow, I was born in Kansas and have lived here all but 6 months of my life and didn't even know about the prison, or the marriage limit, hehe. I did see something in the news about changing the age limit, but I didn't realise there wasn't even one to begin with.

Another tidbit; Did you know Veterans' Day started where I live, in Emporia, KS? It started out as being called Armistice Day in 1953.

I can tell ya right now, we ain't got no culture here in Kansas. I'm just kidding. It isn't backwoods hicksville, but it isn't the most hip and happening place by any means. Kansas City is a very nice "town" though, with plenty of culture and quite a few professional and tech jobs to be had.

Where I live is a decent size town, with many factory and service jobs. The economy is mainly driven by the agriculture and cattle beef industry. There is a university here, very good for teacher's and business degrees.

There are many religions here and immigrants, mostly from Mexico, El Salvador and a few from Philippines, Cambodia and Somalia. But we all get along very well and crime is pretty low.

We are in the middle of the U.S. and most people don't get overly concerned with world issues. People here are more inwardly and locally involved and very family focused.

The landscape in western Kansas is very flat with very few trees except for in town, and very very few creeks or ponds. As you travel east it gets greener with more hills and water. Then you hit the Flint Hills and they are amazing. Miles and miles of rolling hills, interrupted only by ponds and the occasional house, highway or gravel road. Around Easter they burn off all the old Fescue grass and it is quite a sight, especially at night.

Post Date: 20th Jul, 2006 - 11:36pm / Post ID: #

Kansas
A Friend

Kansas

Yahoo! touts beauty of Kansas prairie preserve
(Journal-World (Lawrence, KS) (KRT) Via Thomson Dialog NewsEdge) Jul. 15--The Flint Hills of Kansas are in the same company as Washington's Olympia State Park, California's Big Sur, Pikes Peak National Forest in Colorado and the French Quarter of New Orleans as a travel destination.
That's according to the national Web site and search engine Yahoo! that recently ranked the rolling green hills of eastern Kansas as the fifth-best destination.

Well as I said, the Flint Hills are amazing, but I'm still surprised by this. A tourist hot-spot in Kansas? Haha! I guess we better start preparing for the influx of people that are soon to arrive wink.gif

Post Date: 25th Jul, 2006 - 5:58pm / Post ID: #

Kansas
A Friend

Kansas

How about Wichita and it's huge airplane industry?

Or Liberal, Kansas and Wizard of Oz?

That's two more tourist attractions.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 25th Jul, 2006 - 11:25pm / Post ID: #

Kansas
A Friend

Kansas

Yes there are those too. I had an aunt (who's past away) that worked at Boeing in Wichita for many years. A very good job.

Closest I've been to Liberal is Holcomb, where the the Clutter family lived. (The family portraid in the book "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote. There was also a couple movies made about it.)

There was also a TV movie filmed here in Emporia, where I live, called "Murder Ordained." It was also based on a true story about a preacher here who was convicted of killing his wife. I think he's still in prison.

There's also Dodge City with the famous Boot Hill that the TV show "Gunsmoke" was based off of. I've been there though and it isn't that special.

I still don't see too many people going out of their way to come to Kansas. Tornados and wind and tumbleweeds, Oh my! biggrin.gif Come one, come all, to the "Land of Ahhs."

Post Date: 27th Apr, 2011 - 8:50am / Post ID: #

Kansas Politics Business Civil & History

Signs, reasons vary in suicide cases
Kansas Related News

Every suicide and attempted suicide is different, according to Richard Archer, clinical director at Horizons Mental Health Center. "Young people often act impulsively," Archer said. ...
Source: Kansas News

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (17) »

> TOPIC: Kansas

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,