Suicide Taken As Halloween Oddity

Suicide Halloween Oddity - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 20th Oct, 2008 - 6:29pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Suicide Taken As Halloween Oddity Why the gruesome aspects are not good
28th Oct, 2005 - 9:08am / Post ID: #

Why the gruesome aspects are not good

Now here is a reason to reinforce why I think Halloween is a bit too much on the evil side and people in general can tone down death and horror as something that should be for children:

international QUOTE
FREDERICA, Del. - The apparent suicide of a woman found hanging from a tree went unreported for hours because passers-by thought the body was a Halloween decoration, authorities said. The 42-year-old woman used rope to hang herself across the street from some homes on a moderately busy road late Tuesday or early Wednesday, state police said. Ref. Source

Suicide Taken As Halloween Oddity (Hover)

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3208 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
28th Oct, 2005 - 7:20pm / Post ID: #

Oddity Halloween Taken Suicide

Oh my gosh! How they could not possible recognize that it was a real person? *shaking head*. This is one of the reasons I do not personally like when Halloween becomes too "creepy" in decorations, costumes, etc.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 30th Oct, 2005 - 2:02am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Suicide Taken As Halloween Oddity History & Civil Business Politics

That's horribly sad! I don't have anything really against going the scary route around Halloween as long as it is done in relatively good taste. Hanging dead bodies would not be something I would consider even close to being funny. I think that's horrible that she went unnoticed, especially on a road they say was moderately busy.

Post Date: 1st Nov, 2005 - 12:34pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Yes, I too believe that not noticing a dead body is pretty extreme. But why does it shock us so much? Is it that she hung herself? That because of halloween violence is dimmed down? Or because no one noticed?

It is in fact a mix of all the above which triggers the 'horribly sad' emotion. Back in earlier days, people were hanged for entertainment (ie.Pirates) Is that so sad that no one really cared about that?
Hundreds of people commit suicide every day, do we feel 'horribly sad' about this?

Well, it comes down to the negligence which makes it sad. However we are all being negligent to other extreme acts everyday. Rape, Murder, Terrorism... the simple fact is that the world is sliding downhill, and there is little we can do about it. We can't blame halloween, society is the problem.

Post Date: 1st Nov, 2005 - 5:33pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Along those manners, Halloween has also been known as a time of cruelty by some of the tricks and such that have been played on people. Things often times get taken too far, and somebody ends up getting hurt.

https://www.comcast.net/news/international/.../01/254406.html

Two teens were shot by a man when they were trick or treating. They had been throwing fire crackers at his door, and he opened fire to scare them away. He did not intend on actually hurting them.

Post Date: 2nd Nov, 2005 - 4:42pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

QUOTE (Wolf @ 1-Nov 05, 7:24 AM)
We can't blame halloween, society is the problem.

I agree with Wolf.

I blame society moreso than the Holiday itself. If people weren't so detached in their communities, something like this would never have been ignored. People have become so closed off nowadays from their neighbors and others in general. Distrust is rampant and I find that truly sad.

This thread begged the question of why we celebrate Halloween. It seems it derives from a variety of historic holidays and traditions. I found the following info online at https://wilstar.com/holidays/hallown.htm

The word itself, "Halloween," actually has its origins in the Catholic Church. It comes from a contracted corruption of All Hallows Eve. November 1, "All Hollows Day" (or "All Saints Day"), is a Catholic day of observance in honor of saints. But, in the 5th century BC, in Celtic Ireland, summer officially ended on October 31. The holiday was called Samhain (sow-en), the Celtic New year. 

One story says that, on that day, the disembodied spirits of all those who had died throughout the preceding year would come back in search of living bodies to possess for the next year. It was believed to be their only hope for the afterlife. The Celts believed all laws of space and time were suspended during this time, allowing the spirit world to intermingle with the living.

Naturally, the still-living did not want to be possessed. So on the night of October 31, villagers would extinguish the fires in their homes, to make them cold and undesirable. They would then dress up in all manner of ghoulish costumes and noisily paraded around the neighborhood, being as destructive as possible in order to frighten away spirits looking for bodies to possess.

Given this info, I find that Halloween itself is quite harmless... it's the impact society has had on it that makes it dangerous.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
20th Oct, 2008 - 5:26pm / Post ID: #

Suicide Taken Halloween Oddity

That is totally creepy. I wonder why she chose to do it like that? She wanted to leave something for shock value I guess.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 2 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.2%

Post Date: 20th Oct, 2008 - 6:29pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Suicide Taken Halloween Oddity Politics Business Civil & History

I think I remember hearing about this and that the woman had a garbage bag over her head. In that case, it's not curious as to why people thought she was a decoration. Still this is such a creepy story. To walk by the woman and then to later find out she was actually dead would really creep me out. I'd probably avoid walking by the tree from then on.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Suicide Taken As Halloween Oddity

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,