Melodramatic Role-Play Gamers - Page 2 of 6

I understand what you mean. I agree with you. - Page 2 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 30th Jul, 2014 - 12:27pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

25th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Cleric
Cleric
Rogue
Rogue
Wizard
Wizard
Warlock
Warlock
Draconian
Draconian
Ranger
Ranger
Paladin
Paladin
Barbarian
Barbarian
Fighter
Fighter

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Discuss  Melodramatic Role-Play Gamers
31st Aug, 2013 - 3:10am / Post ID: #

Melodramatic Role-Play Gamers - Page 2

Good differentiation Krusten plus in my opinion once you give your description you leave it to the rest of us to imagine how your character is for ourselves. I've read where some players try to tell you how your character should interact with their character because of their description and for me that's [kind of] selfish.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 16th Jul, 2014 - 2:37pm / Post ID: #

Melodramatic Role-Play Gamers
A Friend

Gamers Role-Play Melodramatic

That's quite an interesting topic! My opinion here is not that for example Dungeons & Dragons (Etc.) is not a game fit for melodrama, but that it's pure luck whether or not the GM and the players will be looking for the exact same entertainment.

I've ran games for about 3 years now, and in these years, it has come to my attention that one of the first priorities of the GM is to observe the players' reactions to events, their attention span in different situations, and general interests. Doing your best to adapt seems to be the key in solving most problems of this nature.

What happens when a player just gets too melodramatic, and you don't like it? Well, we have all been there, and if you haven't been there as a GM yet, you will be, sooner or later!

As with any other issue, the question is: Do you adapt, or not? My only solution thus far is to semi-adapt during the session, and after it's over, meet the player alone (Maybe even on a separate day), and explain to him what you believe was inappropriate for the adventure.

28th Jul, 2014 - 12:02am / Post ID: #

Melodramatic Role-Play Gamers Reviews RPG & Card Board

international QUOTE
...meet the player alone (Maybe even on a separate day), and explain to him what you believe was inappropriate for the adventure.

You're going to get a whole bunch of hurt feelings because in my opinion most melodramatic RPGers get a kick out of being melodramatic and if they can't be they rather not play because its their entertainment.

Post Date: 29th Jul, 2014 - 10:18pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 Gamers Role-Play Melodramatic

Sometimes there is a good place and time to be melodramatic and its use can help bring a good laugh or get a party out of trouble.

29th Jul, 2014 - 10:21pm / Post ID: #

Gamers Role-Play Melodramatic

No doubt Big K, but I'm talking about players that use it in every post and in every situation. Sometimes you just want to get on with an action and not role-play every instance.

Post Date: 30th Jul, 2014 - 12:01pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

But then again Krusten, that falls onto personal appeal and opinion. I'd rather spend 6 hours of game time on my gaming table interacting with a single NPC than skip things.

Being melodramatic is not in any way same as dramatic or just a person who likes to RP every situation.

As for the Play By Post part of the conversation, I haven't played that much Play By Post to have a proper opinion. But I guess since Play By Post games tend to be much slower, spending too much time on a single interaction can drag things out a tad.

All in all, remember, it falls onto personal opinion, whether or not you like being melodramatic or not, as for any other thing. I think it is best to have a talk with your players, and getting to know them before starting a game, in order to know what they'd be interested in, as well as letting them know what you prefer in your game as well.

This is of course inapplicable in the Play By Post games, since you can't truly interact with others; so you'll just have to be lucky! ...

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
30th Jul, 2014 - 12:24pm / Post ID: #

Melodramatic Role-Play Gamers - Page 2

Johnathan, did you even read my first post? In my first post I said clearly what I'm talking about,

international QUOTE
In this one I want to talk about the role-play gamers that love melodrama going on and on for pages and pages but can't get one action out.

In other words a player has to make an action in order for the game to continue. Other players are waiting, but instead of making the action they instead choose to role-play all kinds of stuff not really related to the game itself. Things like how their character feels, what the character is thinking, remembering some past issue, noticing the flowers, and things like that.

Post Date: 30th Jul, 2014 - 12:27pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Melodramatic Role-Play Gamers Board Card & RPG Reviews - Page 2

I understand what you mean. I agree with you. I don't think anyone cares about how your character feels, unless it's a short phrase included with your other actions, that shows visual clues to others. Such as: "My character sighs in disappointment".

Sorry if I didn't stay on topic.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Melodramatic Role-Play Gamers

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,