Trinidad Syrians And Local "Whites" - Page 8 of 8

Name: Jessica Title: Racist Trinidadians Comments: - Page 8 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 25th Jan, 2018 - 9:57am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 8 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 
Post Date: 14th Sep, 2012 - 5:13am / Post ID: #

Trinidad Syrians And Local "Whites"
A Friend

Trinidad Syrians And Local "Whites" - Page 8

For Candie here is a rule of thumb as a "Newbie" to Trinidad and Tobago and that is please stop mentioning about "Race" as you have done in your comments. Start looking at people as people here because if you see people as people and you don't see them as just a collection of nonwhite races then you will treat them as simply people which is how everyone here who is nonwhite wants to be treated.

As for the local whites they are isolationists (many of them though not all). I would not even think of looking at one here for relationship purposes because they may simply classify me as being out of their league in comparison to how they view themselves in the society.

However, I must say that I do get indeed tickled from time to time when I tell foreign whites that the local whites here are considered a minority. You should see the shock on their faces. The shock is there because they are accustomed to seeing nonwhite groups as minorities but in this country it is the reverse.

It is a paradigm shift that some foreign whites cannot indeed handle concerning the local white population in Trinidad and Tobago being considered a minority. Let's just say to see the look on their faces when they are told this is simply as we say priceless. biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links:
3rd Oct, 2012 - 1:06pm / Post ID: #

quotWhitesquot Local Syrians Trinidad

Like someone said here, we might be the minority but we're human just like everyone else no big deal because when we bleed we all bleed the same color: red.

15th Feb, 2013 - 12:37am / Post ID: #

Trinidad Syrians And Local "Whites" Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

I haven't seen nor interacted much with any member of our local white community for years. The last was a Spanish-french creole historian in the Venezuelan embassy. They seem to be strictly around the Westmoorings, Maraval area and I live in Arouca.

I notice though is that our immigration from Europe & is very static and largely confined to the past (British colonial period) There are lots of expatriates, true but on temporary work permits and working quietly in the society. There is a lack of fresh new faces that the public readily recognizes that brings the Trinidadian into a new relationship with Europeans. What I read about is the old "When the Ganteaumes spoke only to the DeVerteuils" kind of story which is based on colonization and the plantation society which people now reject and scorn (even in Europe) Why do we have to go abroad (unless you work in tourism / petro-chemical industry) to interact with lots of the younger generation of Europeans and whites in general who don't know about slavery. Our social order is based on a very dated concept and it needs to be redefined in the context of a modern Trinidad and Tobago and the wider world.

Edited Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use uppercase letters as appropriate: names, start of sentence, etc. See Constructive Posting Policy.

Post Date: 19th Feb, 2013 - 3:29pm / Post ID: #

Page 8 quotWhitesquot Local Syrians Trinidad

Name: Bill

Comments: What Trinis like to refer to as "White" isn't "White' for other countries at least not in the US. I see them as being colored or "Mixed" like Trinis like to say. I actually don't remember meeting a white Trinidadian at all in my 2 month stay there.

Post Date: 25th Jan, 2018 - 9:57am / Post ID: #

quotWhitesquot Local Syrians Trinidad

Name: Jessica

Title: Racist Trinidadians

Comments: I am white, and born in Trinidad, if you have atleast 1 million usd to buy your home in a good area, and go to only certain grocery and areas you can live here. If you love freedom and don't like seeing barbed wires, police with machine guns out, and you can't walk around smiling. Each time I fly out the country I see the mud, and the little terrible place. It's bootleg, dangerous, should be an uninhabited island. I cut ties had business homes plus more from inheritance. The place is basically a swamp with monsters all over. I sold everything and now I feel safe in a first world country. I can walk outside freely talk to neighbors and live quality life.

+  « First of 8 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 

> TOPIC: Trinidad Syrians And Local "Whites"

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,