Mitt Romney & The Mormon Church - Page 3 of 26

Isn't it strange the amount of focus - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th Aug, 2007 - 8:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (26) »
Rmoney as Mormon US President This Thread is asking if you as an LDS Member will vote for him because he is LDS. Please note that there is another Thread in the Politics & Activism Board about Mitt where everyone can reply with regards to his Political views.
Post Date: 31st Jul, 2007 - 4:29am / Post ID: #

Mitt Romney & The Mormon Church
A Friend

Mitt Romney & The Mormon Church - Page 3

Well I'm pretty new around here, and I don't mean to establish myself as a black sheep allready but I'm kinda thinking that when I'm standing in that little booth staring at a bunch of names, none of which are exactly what I want in a candidate, I might just vote for Mitt Romney for no other reason than the fact that he is of my same religion. I grew up in southern Missouri near the headquarters of the Assembly of God church and the headquarters of the Southern Baptist Convention. I was once told by a baptist friend, who had just found out that I was "a dirty mormon" that he no longer liked me. Then he offered me some weed (not kidding). Before I left on my mission my best friend, in a very heartfelt way, tried to convince me not to go and a guy I worked with told me I would be condemning souls to Hell. I had always felt kind of alone in my faith and also kind of defined by it. Before my mission I got to attend general conference, I stood in line with thousands of people who shared my faith and I couldn't help but cry at the sight of it. Somehow I think the opportunity to vote for a mormon is a privilidge that might somehow make me feel better about being the only "dirty mormon" in my high school. My vote doesn't matter anyway, I'm in IL now which is a blue state. What do you all think am I crazy?

Reconcile Edited: HiHonMission on 31st Jul, 2007 - 4:33am

Sponsored Links:
3rd Aug, 2007 - 2:11am / Post ID: #

Church Mormon and Romney Mitt

QUOTE (HiHonMission)
I might just vote for Mitt Romney for no other reason than the fact that he is of my same religion.

Although in most cases that is understandable in what way is that different from a voter who votes just because they like the slogan of a party, or their symbol or the fact that their parents voted for that person? I believe voting has to be based on informed decision making. Mitt may be from the same religious membership as you, but does his views represent it? Will he as a Mormon be able to make the tough decisions on a world front?

3rd Aug, 2007 - 9:15pm / Post ID: #

Mitt Romney & The Mormon Church Studies Doctrine Mormon

Harry Reed is a Mormon (Senator Nevada) , but his views are in direct opposition to what I believe. If he ran for president, I under no circumstance would vote for him. Not because he is a Mormon, but because he is not conservative enough for my taste.
Romney, if he fits my criteria for a good canidate, would get my vote regardless of his Religion.

As to a canidate changing their views on a topic such as abortion, it is not necessarily a reason for not voting for someone. Ronald Reagan was initially a Democrat and a supporter of abortion rights early in his career. I loved him as a
president.

A: When I ran for the first time, I said I was personally pro-life but that I would protect a woman's right to choose as the law existed. Two years ago, as a result of the debate we had, the conclusion I reached was that cloning and creating new embryos was wrong, and that we should, therefore, allow our state to become a pro-life state. I believe states should have the right to make this decision, and that's a position I indicated in an op-ed in the Boston Globe 2 years ago.

This is not an unreasonable stance. One can be against the law of abortion but support the enforcing of the laws on the books. It would also be better if individual states rather then the judiciary branch made the decision on abortion.

"On a personal basis, I don't favor abortion," he said. "However, as governor of the commonwealth, I will protect a woman's right to choose under the laws of the country and the commonwealth. That's the same position I've had for many years."

As a member of the church and as a Governor it is Mitt Romney's responsibility to obey, honor, and sustain the law regardless of his opposition to it.

Under the laws of the United States the Executive responsibility is to enforce the law while the Legislative branch makes the laws.

Actions as Pro Life as governor
Vetoed emergency contraception for rape victims
Vetoed stem cell research bill
Though the executive cannot make laws there are safeguards for them to Veto laws that they disagree with

Actions that support the non interference of the federal government in state matters
Said he would leave the matter of Medicaid funding for abortion to individual states.
Romney wants to to move the decision for choosing abortions from the federal bench to the respective states. I believe this is the best way to fight out the abortion issue

Actions as Pro-choice
Endorsed legalization of RU-486, the abortion-inducing drug.

I believe that Romney stance on abortion is well thought out. There are some things that I disagree with but I would support him as president if it was against the current democrats running.

Post Date: 9th Aug, 2007 - 12:12am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Page 3 Church Mormon and Romney Mitt

The Mormons and Mitt Romney

Every year, a large gathering of Mormons assembles at one of their faith's holiest sites in upstate New York. It was there, they believe, that a young Joseph Smith had the tenets of Mormonism revealed to him by God, and it's there that they reenact the revelation in the Hill Cumorah Pageant. Not only do hundreds of believers don elaborate costumes and makeup for the performance, but they live together for two weeks under strict rules. ABC's Dan Harris attended the gathering -- on the condition that he adhere to the same rules -- and asked how members of the community feel about the presidential candidacy of a high profile member of their faith. A Mitt Romney presidency will put their religion in the spotlight, and that prospect has produced both hope and concern.
Ref. ABCNightline

9th Aug, 2007 - 12:13am / Post ID: #

Church Mormon and Romney Mitt

It is during these times I wish I had cable. If anyone sees this ABC Nightline report please do give a review as I would love to know the 'take' from someone other than LDS about Mitt.

Post Date: 14th Aug, 2007 - 8:46pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I personally like McCain because he's a maverick. But sometimes, McCain is a bit loopy. Romney seems the real deal. He seems genuine. So out of the entire field, I'd pick Romney because he has great business acumen, he has a stable/good family, he has good values, and he is less likely to be held hostage to big money, since he already has it.

That he is LDS does influence my view of him for his character. But I would hold similar views for others active in their faith, including Lieberman, Bush and Brownback.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 15th Aug, 2007 - 1:09am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Mitt Romney & Mormon Church - Page 3

ANN ROMNEY

Anchor Cynthia McFadden has an exclusive interview tonight with Ann Romney, the wife of former Massachusetts governor and Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney, who had a good weekend, winning the Iowa straw poll. Cynthia got to spend time with Mrs. Romney on the campaign trail in South Carolina and had very candid conversations with her about her active role on behalf of her husband, her battle with multiple sclerosis (she was diagnosed with the disease in 1998) and her bond with Democratic candidate John Edwards' wife, Elizabeth, as she battles cancer. Cynthia also asked Ann Romney about her Mormon faith, and if that might hurt her husband's chances. A recent poll showed that three out of 10 Republicans say they would not vote for a Mormon for president. Join us for this intimate and compelling portrait in our "Contenders" series.
Ref. ABC News Nightline

16th Aug, 2007 - 8:12pm / Post ID: #

Mitt Romney & Mormon Church Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

Isn't it strange the amount of focus people are putting in this man's Mormonism? Most of the time people don't ask you the particulars of your faith in U.S.

What I am hoping is that this emphasis on Romney's faith does not adversely affect other people's emphasis on bringing some form of Righteousness to the U.S.

Doesn't the Christian Evangelical realize that if they refuse a candidate based soley on a different doctrine, then they will eventually face the same scrutiny from the secularists in the United States.

I am hoping that people will start judging Romney on his political views, right or wrong, and stop asking him on the particulars of Mormonism.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (26) »

> TOPIC: Mitt Romney & The Mormon Church

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,