Long Bow: How To Make - Page 5 of 5

The wood is important too. The right kind - Page 5 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 16th Mar, 2017 - 12:12am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
I started by taping the chopping axe in with a 5lb sludge. Once it was in 4" or so I pulled it out and replaced it with a 5lb splitting maul. using the sledge I drove it down the centre grain of the tree. Read More
5th Feb, 2015 - 11:00pm / Post ID: #

Long Bow: How To Make - Page 5

Just wondering if you were able to test it out recently to see if it maintained its shape and response to the bow string. Good job by the way.

International Level: Junior Politician / Political Participation: 71 ActivistPoliticianJunior Politician 7.1%

Sponsored Links:
6th Feb, 2015 - 12:16pm / Post ID: #

Make To Bow Long

My son still has it but the bow is definitely losing tension. The shape is still good but just losing elasticity. Might be due to storage he keeps it unstrung in his room laid on two hooks on the wall. Might also be the wood grain was not the best.

Not going to find time to attempt another round for a few years too many other projects on the go around the house.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

12th Feb, 2015 - 2:56pm / Post ID: #

Long Bow: How To Make History & Civil Business Politics

Interesting. Maybe a bow out of bamboo might retain its pliability unless that too hardens over time - I don't know much about these things but I find the whole creation process fascinating.

International Level: Junior Politician / Political Participation: 71 ActivistPoliticianJunior Politician 7.1%

17th Feb, 2015 - 11:52am / Post ID: #

Page 5 Make To Bow Long

I think it is more where and how you store the bow that is important. Also I am sure if one did this long enough that you would understand the gains better and which ones that will allow a longer lifespan.

I also thought that using wood conditioners might help basically oiling the wood lightly. I am sure though the life span is limited as once you bend something enough times it must weaken I am sure.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

18th Feb, 2015 - 10:07am / Post ID: #

Make To Bow Long

What if there was a mold or pattern that was used to cut the shape of the bow directly from some wood, would that work? That reminds me, can the 3D printers create a bow flexible enough?

3rd Mar, 2015 - 12:05pm / Post ID: #

Long Bow: How To Make

There is a pattern I think I post it back at the start. Well more like how to layout still take a bit of free hand to complete based on how the wood bends when feathering out the ends.

I am sure you could quickly make a bow on 3D printer I just am unsure how you chose what it uses to make the print. Best part you could quickly multi layer different materials to give the best attributes possible.(If not to day the in the near future.)

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
15th Mar, 2017 - 11:45pm / Post ID: #

Long Bow To Make - Page 5

I find this fascinating. I doubt a 3D printer can give then kind of feel a good old fashioned wood bow would but I'd like to see someone try. I loved archery ever since I was first handed one back in high school.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 17 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.7%

Post Date: 16th Mar, 2017 - 12:12am / Post ID: #

Long Bow: How To Make
A Friend

Long Bow To Make Politics Business Civil & History - Page 5

The wood is important too. The right kind of wood, like yew, keeps its elasticity longer. Have you thought about trying a recurve? [By The Way], this is a great thread.

Reconcile Edited: Abnninja on 16th Mar, 2017 - 12:13am

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Long Bow: How To Make

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,