Long Bow: How To Make - Page 2 of 5

That is too bad, I really thought you were - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 11th Nov, 2009 - 8:50pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
I started by taping the chopping axe in with a 5lb sludge. Once it was in 4" or so I pulled it out and replaced it with a 5lb splitting maul. using the sledge I drove it down the centre grain of the tree. Read More
25th Apr, 2007 - 6:28pm / Post ID: #

Long Bow: How To Make - Page 2

I am now making some strings for the two bows I have two ready for finial tilling. I have found some #14 Irish linen thread I will use along with man made wax for sealing it and a light Kavlar thread for serving the loop ends and the notching point.

I will attempt a Flemish string which means it is a braided line with the loop on the top end maid then braided in and the second end can be same or a lip knot tied to the bottom end.

I will post some pic of the process as I get it done. I will be using only one color in the thread though traditionally it would be two colored.

Please note I will not be making my own arrows at least till later on once I get the bow making process down better. I have however found plans on how to make a crossbow...but I need to ensure that is legal before I even dream of it.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Sponsored Links:
17th Mar, 2008 - 5:14pm / Post ID: #

Make To Bow Long

I for one will be interested in seeing the finished long bow, that is if it is finished?

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 168 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 16.8%

17th Mar, 2008 - 5:51pm / Post ID: #

Long Bow: How To Make History & Civil Business Politics

I did finish one and never too the picture but it met its untimely death. I have three rough stocks ready and just need to find a few hours again to finish a second one.

Basically do the finish tillering. Right now they both sit a bout 180 lbs pressure.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

17th Mar, 2008 - 8:09pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Make To Bow Long

Krakyn you are the man! I did not know you took your medieval weapons that seriously! I'll have to look at you in a different way now. laugh.gif

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 18 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.8%

17th Mar, 2008 - 8:28pm / Post ID: #

Make To Bow Long

Medieval weapons are cool cause they are cheap to make and work! I can have a bow in my house but need no License till I hunt.

The cross bow is a big job, seen a show where they were trying to build a big one and a proper catapult but were getting issues of breakage. Seems we have a lost talent in the world today.

11th Nov, 2009 - 5:41pm / Post ID: #

Long Bow: How To Make

Did you ever complete your long bow Krakyn? If so it will be nice if you can utilize the gallery so we can see the finished product.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3208 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
11th Nov, 2009 - 8:46pm / Post ID: #

Long Bow To Make - Page 2

Yes but it shattered perhaps I did not exercise it enough. Though I have read that this is not uncommon. I hope to reattack a second but time is so short at present with no real opening in the future.

11th Nov, 2009 - 8:50pm / Post ID: #

Long Bow To Make Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

That is too bad, I really thought you were making good progress on your long bow. Maybe a different type of wood will help for the next attempt of your long bow.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3208 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Long Bow: How To Make

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,