Honey Bees Dying At Alarming Rates - Page 3 of 10

Name: JustinCase Country: Comments: Guys... - Page 3 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 11th Apr, 2011 - 8:46pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (10) »
Discuss  Honey Bees Dying At Alarming Rates Colony Collapse Disorder
Post Date: 7th Sep, 2007 - 12:16pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Honey Bees Dying At Alarming Rates - Page 3

SCIENTISTS FIND CLUE IN MYSTERY OF THE VANISHING BEES

A virus found in healthy Australian honey bees may be playing a role in the collapse of honey bee colonies across the United States, researchers reported Thursday.
Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/09/06...rder/index.html

Sponsored Links:
14th Oct, 2007 - 1:06am / Post ID: #

Rates Alarming Dying Bees Honey

First honeybees, now bumblebees! They both do the same job, but apparently at different times of year and different types of crops. If they both die off, what will farmers do? What will *consumers* do? This is a really scary thing, in my opinion.

Threats to bumblebees fly under radar
By JEFF BARNARD, Associated Press Writer Mon Oct 8, 4:15 PM ET

GRANTS PASS, Ore. - Looking high and low, Robbin Thorp can no longer find a species of bumblebee that just five years ago was plentiful in northwestern California and southwestern Oregon.

Thorp, an emeritus professor of entomology from the University of California at Davis, found one solitary worker last year along a remote mountain trail in the Siskiyou Mountains, but hasn't been able to locate any this year.

He fears that the species - Franklin's bumblebee - has gone extinct before anyone could even propose it for the endangered species list. To make matters worse, two other bumblebee species - one on the East coast, one on the West - have gone from common to rare.

...."We have been naive," said Neal Williams, assistant professor of biology at Bryn Mawr College in Pennsylvania. "We haven't been diligent the way we need to be."

....A huge problem facing scientists is how "appallingly little we know about our pollinating resources," said University of Illinois entomology Prof. May Berenbaum, who headed the National Academy of Sciences report.

Scott Black, executive director of the Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation in Portland, worries that on top of pesticides and narrowing habitats, disease could be the last straw for many of the bee species.

"It definitely could all come crashing down," he said.

Post Date: 25th Aug, 2009 - 11:20am / Post ID: #

Honey Bees Dying At Alarming Rates UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

DNA clue to honey bee deaths

Scientists reveal how viruses thought to be behind the mass deaths of honey bees wreak their damage inside cells. Ref. Source 5

Post Date: 17th May, 2010 - 7:11pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Rates Alarming Dying Bees Honey

3D images of live honeybee colony

A new non-invasive way to see into a live honeybee colony could help scientists find out more about why the insects are declining. Ref. Source 4

17th May, 2010 - 7:27pm / Post ID: #

Rates Alarming Dying Bees Honey

I wonder if genetically altering crops is the cause for this. It happened around the same time. Studies have shown that bees will often avoid plants that have been genetically altered. Further test have shown these plants can cross pollinate and spread their gene code to other wild species, altering them as well. Many scientists are worried that this will cause super resistant bugs that are unaffected by pesticides. They also worry about the unknown effects this will have on plants as a whole.

I have a hunch that this is directly related to the missing bees. They are a very delicate species and it isn't a stretch to think that once humans started messing with the genetic codes of crops and plants. That this directly affected bees in a way that could not have been foreseen.

19th May, 2010 - 3:52am / Post ID: #

Honey Bees Dying At Alarming Rates

Oliron, that's certainly one aspect of it, in my opinion. We won't go too in-depth about GM foods in this thread, but you are correct in stating that there are consequences to messing with the DNA of food. Not just for bees, but for the natural cycle of agriculture and how it connects with every thread of the food chain.

I know I'm a lot more gentle with the bees I come into contact with these days. I have a faucet outside that tends to leak, and there are bees that visit every day to access that water. It puts a bit of caution in me about fixing the leak!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 30th May, 2010 - 5:43pm / Post ID: #

Honey Bees Dying Alarming Rates - Page 3

Name: Susu

Comments: As odd as this sounds I think bees are highly sensitive to interference. The interference could be in the form of human scents or extraterrestrial life. We may be seeing the first signs of impending doom.

Post Date: 11th Apr, 2011 - 8:46pm / Post ID: #

Honey Bees Dying Alarming Rates Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 3

Name: JustinCase

Comments: Guys... I've been studying this problem for a while now. I even made a short youtube video trying to bring awareness to the loss of honey bees since the 50s.

That said, the cellphone theory seems to be the best one yet that I've heard *given the global nature of the problem*. Had it been localized mostly to the states we ought to be able to still suggest the use of chemicals or genetically-altered food as a cause. (These could be contributing but maybe not the CCD aspect of this.)

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say that the problem is both cellphones and... Digital television. Looking at the wiki page listed in Source 1, Taiwan changed to digital television earlier than we did, in mid-2004. From the Source 2 link, CCD was reported in Taiwan in 2007.

According to the October 20, 2005

international QUOTE
"Digital Transition and Public Safety Act of 2005" stations were mandated by Congress to start broadcasting in digital and to stop sending the analog signals by 2009.
According to Source 2
international QUOTE
"While such disappearances have occurred throughout the history of apiculture, the term colony collapse disorder was first applied to a drastic rise in the number of disappearances of Western honey bee colonies in North America in late 2006."

I once did a calculation of the transmitting/receiving frequency of an antenna that's about an inch long and this turned out to be in the ballpark of the frequencies used in cellphones. In other words, if a high-powered antenna is transmitting a signal that is a certain frequency, it will oscillate other antennas (or even antennae) that are the perfect length.

Another idea is that the 5.6Ghz wi-fi frequencies would correspond to a quarter-wave of 1/2-inch on an antenna. If a bee's antenna is accidentally tuned to this (simply by being half an inch in length) then they could become disoriented by these signals.

Source 1: Source 3
Source 2: Source 9

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (10) »

> TOPIC: Honey Bees Dying At Alarming Rates

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,