Suicide Among Soldiers - Page 5 of 9

Leaders Must Prepare Troops for Society Battaglia - Page 5 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 23rd Mar, 2013 - 9:30pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
USA US Army stats
Post Date: 23rd Oct, 2010 - 6:05am / Post ID: #

Suicide Among Soldiers
A Friend

Suicide Among Soldiers - Page 5

Mr. Debate,

My observations were about the reasons why I see a higher rate of suicide in the Reserves and National Guard as opposed to the Regular Army.

All 3 have common baseline training. So based on training, all 3 should have simular suicide rates looking at it logically. But they do not. My observations were about why they have different rates.

As for training and yelling. Another observation I have is running a basic training company for 2 years. I was surprised at how many of the new basic trainees said that the drill sergeant was the first time that somebody told them "no." This is an indicator of how mentally unprepared for any type of stress period as a society, let alone combat.

Basic training has been drastically changed from what you appear to think it is. A lot of the yelling is gone. Basic trainees get their meals in peace now and only a limited number of drill sergeants are even allowed in dining facility while they eat now.

Yelling is necessary. Combat entails fear, adrenalin, excitement, and chaos. When those things happen, people are yelling. Yelling is part of the psycological conditioning for combat.

Also, if you look at my previous post, you will see that I addressed part of what you said already. As a society we are not prepared for stress in general. Schools often reduce the pressure to pass and are afraid to hold a student back if they fail to preform. I already mentioned how death is kept out of sight. Kids hardly go outdoors anymore. Every new innovation is somehow related to minimizing exposure to stress. So when stress does happen, its effects can potentially be more severe then it was to previous generations.

Basic training big purpose is to help prepare for combat with a baseline experience, but it is also meant to challenge a person with dealing with stress. Basic training is a test of that.

In addition to basic training, the Army at least is doing pre-deployment counseling and analysis now as well. Also, before you deploy, you go through a pre-deployment training that is modeled after the place you are going and tailored to what you are expected to experience.

Some of these programs have been done since Bosnia, others are new.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 10th Nov, 2010 - 10:39pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Soldiers Suicide

"Wartorn 1861-2010" New Doc Chronicles Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder from Civil War to Iraq & Afghanistan

A new documentary, Wartorn 1861-2010, airing on HBO on Veterans Day, chronicles the lingering effects of war on military veterans throughout American history, from the Civil War through today's conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. We speak with the filmmakers, Jon Alpert and Matt O'Neill, and with the parents of two soldiers who committed suicide after coming home from Iraq. Ref. Source 2

Post Date: 4th Feb, 2011 - 3:05pm / Post ID: #

Suicide Among Soldiers History & Civil Business Politics

The military's most tenacious enemy: suicide

As U.S. Armed forces battle through their 10th year at war, suicide is their most tenacious and enigmatic foe. Last year, more military personnel committed suicide than were killed in combat in Afghanistan and Iraq. The Pentagon's assault on the problem - including numerous prevention programs, task forces and studies - helped stanch record-high suicide rates in some categories of service members in 2010, even as deaths and suicide attempts increased in others, according to preliminary year-end tallies. Ref. Source 6

Post Date: 10th Feb, 2011 - 1:14am / Post ID: #

Suicide Among Soldiers
A Friend

Page 5 Soldiers Suicide

Suicide is a means for the deaths they had to witness in person. It really changes a person and they can't live on because of it. I don't blame the soldiers for suicides but I think the Army needs to have a better support program for them.

Post Date: 8th Jun, 2012 - 9:15pm / Post ID: #

Soldiers Suicide

Suicides among U.S. Troops averaging one a day in 2012:

Suicides are surging among America's troops, averaging nearly one a day this year - the fastest pace in the nation's decade of war. Ref. Source 1

Post Date: 16th Dec, 2012 - 11:11am / Post ID: #

Suicide Among Soldiers

US soldiers suicide numbers likely to top 2011, Army says:

As many as 12 active-duty soldiers committed suicide in November, pushing the Army above last year's record number of suicides with one month left to go in the year, officials said today. Ref. Source 5

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 15th Jan, 2013 - 7:14pm / Post ID: #

Suicide Soldiers - Page 5

Record high of 349 suicides in the military for 2012

The Army, by far the largest of the military services, had the highest number of suicides among active-duty troops last year at 182, but the Marine Corps, whose suicide numbers had declined for two years, had the largest percentage increase - a 50 percent jump to 48. The Marines' worst year was 2009's 52 suicides. Ref. Source 6

Post Date: 23rd Mar, 2013 - 9:30pm / Post ID: #

Suicide Soldiers Politics Business Civil & History - Page 5

Leaders Must Prepare Troops for Society Battaglia Says
US Military News

The military and its leaders have a responsibility to prepare service members to become productive members of society, the senior enlisted advisor to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said.
Source: American Forces Press Service News Feed

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

> TOPIC: Suicide Among Soldiers

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,