Mormon Church And Illegal Immigrants - Page 16 of 18

Salt Lake to host four-state immigration summit - Page 16 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 15th Oct, 2011 - 6:09pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 18 pgs.  12 13 14 15 16 17 18 
Mormon Hispanics Illegal Immigrant Mormons - "Lawmakers should show more compassion" - Could your Bishop or Full-Time Missionary be illegally in the USA and still serve in the Church?
Post Date: 6th Sep, 2011 - 3:42am / Post ID: #

Mormon Church And Illegal Immigrants
A Friend

Mormon Church And Illegal Immigrants - Page 16

How does my point of view rationalize everything the government does? And should I look at it from any other point of view? I mean if it's a discussion of wether or not illegal immigrants should be given temple recommends or callings in the" Church," does any other "religious/non-reigious" point of view matter? Like should I have a "catholic" point of view about it also? How about an atheist point of view? Should I incorporate a democratic or republic view into it also? The point of my post was not say that illegal immigration was ok. It was to point out that it has no impact with the leaders of the Church about one's worthiness in church affairs. That being said I have mixed feelings and points of view about illegal immigration. Being the son of illegal immigrants I think gives me insight into both sides of the issue as well as all the grey in between. But I don't much care to write about it.
Are the people who hire illegal immigrants honest? Are they breaking the law? Well will you not a hire an illegal immigrant to mow your lawn? Will you deny them a chance to make a living? Will you even report that person to government? If you do not will that not make you dishonest? Or would you have charity towards that person and give them a chance to make a living, even if they are in the country illegally? Will you look the other way and not inform the government about that person's "illegal" status? Can in one in such a case not be both honest and charitable? Or will these two things always collide? If so then which is more important? To have charity or to be honest? These are tough questions and there is probably no right or wrong response to such circumstances. Personally I would have no problem hiring an illegal immigrant if they showed to be hard working and the job did not require a more qualified person.

Sponsored Links:
6th Sep, 2011 - 10:41am / Post ID: #

Immigrants Illegal Church Mormon

If someone broke out of prison would you give them a job or tell them they need to go where the law dictates they should be? I'm still trying to understand your rationalization of being 'charitable' to someone doing the wrong thing to begin with but seeing you're the son of illegals I can understand that you will be biased about it. Are we now picking and choosing which laws we can obey and which ones don't make us unworthy? Cheating your brother... Does that make you unworthy? That is what happens when illegals take from tax payers here, people who can barely afford it and use it for their own benefit. Just because its not done at gun point or as a mugging does not make any less wrong.

Post Date: 6th Sep, 2011 - 7:32pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormon Church And Illegal Immigrants Studies Doctrine Mormon

I think you might be confused, thinking that I support illegal immigration. I don't actually. I know how it negatively impacts our country. However I would not be living here or even be alive if my parents had not decided to immigrate (they met here in the states). So I can't say I'm not happy they did, because honestly I am SO happy and grateful that they did. (they are American citizens by the way)
The reason why I would be charitable to such people is because I sympathize with such on their situation. I am curious to know if you know any personally or have any type of friendship with any of them. Let's look at the example of the woman caught in adultery. She broke a spiritual law, as well as a national law. By all justice she should have been stoned. Yet compassion and charity were still shown to her, by our Savior. So I believe charity can still be shown.
This is not a black and white situation. They are not people who woke up one day and decided to cross the border in order to screw things over for the Americans. I don't believe that immigrating and mugging someone are alike. Illegal immigration will only be "wrong" till it is illegal. Yet mugging someone or robbing someone at gun point will always be wrong. Not everyone who comes into the country illegally steals a SS# and such. If illegal immigration was not illegal, will we still have a problem with it? I know if mugging was legal I would still consider it wrong! But that's all "what-if" stuff so I'll stay away from it.
The point about unworthiness.

international QUOTE
"The First Presidency has for many years taught that undocumented status should not by itself prevent an otherwise worthy Church member from entering the temple or being ordained to the priesthood.
Bishops are in the best position to make appropriate judgments as to Church privileges. Meanwhile, Church members should avoid making judgments about fellow members in their congregations."

The leaders don't see a problem with it. So then again I state: Why should I? I believe illegal immigrants "should" reconcile themselves with the law though.

Edited Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use the Quote Tags as instructed here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. The Source of your Quote should also be provided. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

6th Sep, 2011 - 8:19pm / Post ID: #

Page 16 Immigrants Illegal Church Mormon

I'm not confused at all. It is a political issue and the church has chosen a political stance on it as they have with other things. No where does it say I have to agree with my leaders political stance otherwise we would all vote for a theocracy and not a democracy. You can be charitable to someone but you do not have to encourage a wrong path... Making them branch president and leaders when they should not be there? Ummm... I don't think so.

Post Date: 6th Sep, 2011 - 9:52pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Immigrants Illegal Church Mormon

Sorry what I meant by saying you were confused was in regards to where I stand on the whole issue. I'm not for illegal immigration.
And I totally agree with you on saying that you don't have to agree with the Church leaders on political stances. However we should sustain their decisions on matters of the Church. And this is one of them.
So then my friend how would you show such people charity, without encouraging a wrong path? I am curious to hear some of your ideas. smile.gif

7th Sep, 2011 - 1:16pm / Post ID: #

You say you don't agree with illegal immigration but your position of omission towards it makes it no better it is like agreeing. The topic is not about me or charity it is about the illegal immigrants. I've heard this kind of argument before where some try to make it look like its Americans fault for the illegal immigrants being here, as though I must now have some kind of responsibility to take care of them - not.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th Oct, 2011 - 9:23pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Church Illegal Immigrants - Page 16

I didn't get this survey but had I received it my views would have been added.

international QUOTE
Church officials have been largely mum on the survey, which was sent out to members via email. However, it was a wide-ranging survey of 66 questions - about six of which tackled the controversial immigration issue.

Scott Trotter, spokesman for the LDS Church, said it regularly asks questions of members on a wide variety of topics.

This was in today's Tribune Source 9

Post Date: 15th Oct, 2011 - 6:09pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Mormon Church Illegal Immigrants Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 16

Salt Lake to host four-state immigration summit Oct. 26

The summit "Forging a New Consensus on Immigrants and America," will also include presenters from Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and Idaho. Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff, The Most Rev. John C. Wester, Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake, and representatives of the Salt Lake Chamber are among the Utah presenters. The summit will be held from 10 a.m. To 4 p.m. At the City Center Marriott. Ref. Source 6

+  « First of 18 pgs.  12 13 14 15 16 17 18 

> TOPIC: Mormon Church And Illegal Immigrants

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,